The Garagetone Drivetrain does not get the respect it deserves around here.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by KevinFinn, Feb 20, 2012.

1. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

(IMO)

It's the single best value in ODs today. It's very tweakable. Greasy but tight. Sounds more like a real amp than most ODs 3 times its price. It plays nice with any guitar or amp.

But it gets very little love.

2. Squigglefunk

Squigglefunk Senior Member

commonplace, affordable, easy to purchase... c'mon man where are you?

3. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

It has a sound I can only call "dense." But it retains clarity even with the gain all the way up. It sounds like 2 or 3 stacked ODs when it's dimed like that. So much easier than the tap dancing required to get "that sound" otherwise.

4. southpaw pete

southpaw pete Member

I've been curious about the Drivetrain, but hadn't had a chance to try one yet.
    How does it compare to the other VS overdrives?

5. Zero G

Zero G Member

Hm, never heard of it.

6. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

It compares in that it's a totally different animal than either the 808 circuit or the (glorious) Open Road. Less bassy than the Open Road but more warm than a TS variant. Of course, the Bass and Treble knobs make it a bit more friendly than either of the other 2 in the sense of working well with multiple guitars, amps and pickup combinations.

The main difference, though, is hard to describe. It's just not as "clean" as the others. I don't mean in the level of gain, I mean in the way the circuit breathes. It just sounds more angry. And more like a couple stacked tracks. Less pristine. Greasier.

Really hard to explain unless you A-B it for yourself. And its quality is really elusive when it comes to You Tube videos. You have to hear it push air in person.

7. 6Tones

6Tones Supporting Member

Its a verygood OD.
    I agree with Kevinfinn post, its Not from the 'round' and smooth' TS style camp but more of the 'grind and grit' style TS . Its got a bit of blanket and coloration going on vs more transparent ODs(barber ltd ect ). If your rocking out ,great OD...if you want more 'pretty' tones ..its not its strongest suit.
    Great backup OD on the cheap.

8. alguit

alguit Member

Dangit...I listened to a couple, and now I've got to get one!

:)

Alan

9. schrom81

schrom81 Member

Its a good and cheap TS pedal. Great for beginners, people low on money. or just dudes who need a backup TS. I don't think I would want one on my board full time. With the cheap parts I would think it would break down fast. I had their delay pedal but put it on a true bypass looper so as I wouldn't step on it an have it fall apart on me.

10. pacomc79

pacomc79 Member

It's pretty undersold isn't it? I mean other than being in a few catelogs, I don't see it around very much.

Is it similar in anyway to the old Reverend Drivetrain?

11. geodr

geodr Member

Supposedly exactly the same as the Reverend Drivetrain

12. IRG

IRG Member

I didn't think it was supposed to be a TS variant at all.

ziobrandy likes this.
  13. narwhale

narwhale Member

The Drivetrain 2, to be more precise. Increased headroom is the main difference, I think. I have owned an original DT for years and it's currently on my bass board, so when I needed to start a guitar board I ordered the Garagetone version and have nothing but good things to say about it.

14. schrom81

schrom81 Member

Yeah its a 808 with two tone knobs. Its based of the Reverend Drivetrian.

I put an 808 next to it to test it and it was dead on.

15. zorzi

zorzi Member

I consider it a ts variant with more flexible tone controls. Very close in tone to the original Drivetrains but the built quality isn`t great but then for $60? Another general gripe is there's some dead space in there. They could have made it as small as the smalll mxr boxes. IMO the original Reverend Drivetrain both versions 1 and 2 are fantastic ts style pedals and with the added bass tone control the fuctionality is improved which is why I hoarded 4 of them once they were discontinued.

16. Paul Conway

Paul Conway Member

Love my DT2 but it's big, and the volume boost is punishing (making high drive settings unusable). Maybe this addresses both concerns..?

17. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

In a world where minute differences have people touting the virtues of one ACTUAL TS-variant over another as though there was huge difference...

The Drivetrain is not one of those pedals. It doesn't sound like a Tubescreamer. I mean, you might be able to coax the very versatile settings into going that direction, sure... but it doesn't sound like a Tubescreamer. Compared to a Tubescreamer:

- It has significantly more native compression - which is huge in an era where the trend with ODs is to have them as "open" and uncompressed as possible. I love the Drivetrain in that its sound is ultimately more complex and more "produced" for taking the other path.
    - It has less native mids.
    - It has more native bass.
    - It has a lot more highs, meaning it CHIMES out parts rather than HONKING them out like a TS.
    - The gain structure itself is much denser, applying to all frequencies, for a much more intricate drive sound that is much more like an actual amp getting turned up too loud.
    - There is more gain on tap than there is with a standard TS.

It's too easy to say ODs are just like Tubescreamers when you're using them that way. If you were to pull back the bass and treble and keep the gain around noon or below, you might get sorta the TS thing out of a Drivetrain. As for me, I dime the gain, and keep the bass and treble around 2 o'clock. This gives me a gloriously pissed off OD that has the nuance and eq structure that is typically reserved for high gain amps and pedals. It's really amazing to have a pedal in line doing that ideal and still being an OD.

You can hear demos from the same person recorded the same way...

Compare their own TS:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgcssTHoEmo

To the Drivetrain:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZyiu8vWDGk

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
    ziobrandy likes this.
  18. KevinFinn

KevinFinn Member

:bumpbumpThis subject needs more attention!

19. schrom81

schrom81 Member

Look at all the TS mods by Keely, Analogman, JHS, and more that do exactly that to a TS. Look at FD-2, and other Visual sound offerings who are derivatives. Sorry its a modified TS. I know you might love yours. I think there are many better TS based pedals then the original TS . but that does not mean it wasn't derived from it.

20. JamesSGBrown

JamesSGBrown Member

How would one pitch this against a Digitech Bad Monkey? It's a bit "Honky" for me, and I want a stand alone overdrive unit (used with a clean channel). Whilst I'm looking at the Fulltone Plimsoul, the price seems right on this one here!
    I want something that has some saturation, but retains clarity (especially with open chords).