The gear honeymoon

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by frizbplaya, Sep 11, 2008.

1. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Over the past few months I've been falling out of love with my Les Paul. I was nothing personal, and don't get me wrong I'm still "into" LPs but sometimes these things happen. Things didn't feel right and at some point you just have to end the relationship. Someone else, someone who will really love the LP, will pick it up. It's for the best. It's over.

I was back on the market. I got a pack of spiffy new picks and spent a lot of time at the music store scene. At some points I got a little desperate and tried to pick up guitars at some pretty generic places. Everything was so fake though. They looked pretty at first - some of them even looked exactly like the vintage super-models everyone wants - but they had overseas baggage. Underneath the paint (or even screen printed wear & tear) was cruddy wood and sloppy craftsmanship.

I finally found some better shops. They don't look like much from the street but inside they have the real deal. The kind of guitar you want to bring home to your amp. It's not about appearance here, it's about quality. I speed dated a bunch of guitars and spent some quality time with the ones I felt had a connection. One of them - oh man, this beautiful vintage white and maple G&L bluesboy - was so great. I played it for a few minutes over my lunch break and I couldn't get it out of my head all afternoon. After work I came back and played until the store closed and the night was over. I tried a bunch of similar guitars but nothing compared. I had to have this one.

I fell hard. I brought it home a few days ago and I've spent every moment I can with it. Exploring every nook and cranny, finding where the pickups and tone knob meet to make it's tones. It's neck fits so perfectly in my hand and the fretboard is like butter. Even when I'm not playing I bring it with me around the house. I prop it up so during commercials I can glance over and see it flicker in the light of the TV. I have a picture at work I can flip to when I'm thinking about it. We had our first gig together last night and it did a fantastic job! It's a keeper.

I know the next few months will be different but I don't care right now. We're on our honeymoon and I'm enjoying every minute.

[​IMG]

2. THebert

THebert Member

Enjoy it fully and don't worry about tomorrow. That is what gear is for. G&Ls rock (legacy owner here).

3. edgewound

edgewound Gold Supporting Member

...I think I'm gonna cry...

That was beautiful, man:cry:

I hope she doesn't cheat on you.

4. mcjohns

mcjohns Member

I know the feeling. Your story makes me want to have a fling.

5. crzyfngers

crzyfngers Member

6. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

Moved to proper forum. Congrats on your new G&L!

7. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I have a love/hate on and off relationship with my LP too. Right now I'm loving it again, but that's because I haven't played my 335 or Gretsch's in a week. I'm gonna pull out the 335 at practice and I bet the LP goes under the bed again.

8. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

I have a few guitars. There is no #1 anymore. The harem is extremely jealous of each other and they're very demanding. So are the amps. My only gear items that don't act like that are the cabs & speakers.

Glad you're in the "honeymoon phase" and liking it!

9. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Well a Tele/ Tele style guitar will do that to you- Congrats!

I find my self leaning more to Fender style guitars in the last year or two but I still do know that sometimes when you pick up the Gibson later the magic is still there.
    Variety is great (and allowed) in guitars.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

I tend to like my Strat at home and my Gibson's and Gretch's when I play live.

11. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

Still on my honeymoon with the scubbacks too :) Best speakers my 72' superbass has played with! But, while the blue speakers are pretty, it's not the same as a guitar.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2008
  12. frizbplaya

frizbplaya Member

p.s. I still have a gibson too - an ES137 that's very similar to a LP. That's part of the reason I wanted to trade the LP for a fender-style. The ES137 is *almost* to a LP what thinline is to a tele. So now instead of two gibson sounds I have a fender and gibson sound. Much more variety!

13. Trego

Trego Member

I love my bluesboy semi-hollow...

I play it more than my PRS at twice the price

14. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

I`m on one w/ my new PRS Singlecut Hollow Std!

15. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Congratulations on your new G&L...She's a Beauty!

16. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

It's just the opposite for me.