The genius of "Weird" Al Yankovic

Cornbread

Weird Al was my first concert when I was 10 and have seen him about 10 times. The best show was at the Hard Rock Hotel in Vegas 13 Sep 96 (that date familiar to anyone? I walked by the scene before knowing what had happened). I love his "style" parodies. His latest Doors style song "Craig's List" is brilliant (Ray Manzarek even plays on the song!).

no body here is going to know that was the day Tupac was murdered

fwiw, i like Weird Al...always have

Jonny D

Whether you like his "tee hee hee" format, you must admit that his breath of musicianship is remarkable.

Joe F

Humor is subjective but I think the man is funny - then combine various talents and sensibilities - very capable artist.

A song like Mellow when I'm Dead is very relevant today.

I used to have one of his records - the one with Christmas at Ground Zero on it - lots of good stuff on that record.

I'm going to have to look around for my autographed "Dare To Be Stupid" jersey.

Jim West got it signed for me. He's awesome.

I have a picture I took (I think) in 85 at the Old Style Stage at Summerfest- I was in the front row getting ready to take a picture, and Al jumped off stage right in front of me. I think I blinded him with my flash.

mesa/boogieman

The 80s wouldn't have been the same without him. He was the TGP pub/lounge critic in all of us for the time period. Playfully permitted (by the stars he parodied) to make fun of their pomp. So many people laughing along, what would the mega-ego star world be without him?..more ego I'd think. He probably has more fans than people care to admit, not to mention and IMO, he is a talented musician. The shtick may be old but he always seems to come up relevant.

His Al TV specials were hilarious. Loved when he would "interview" Boy George or Eminem or Madonna.

Gas-man

Unrepentant Massaganist
Just listening to "I'm Fat" with my boys:

When I sit around the house, I really sit around the house

If I have one more pie ala mode, I'm gonna need my own zip code

I've got more chins than Chinatown

------

I realized after listening to this a bunch of times after my kids got their mitts on it that it's basically Jackie Mason style insult jokes as lyrics.

Brilliant!

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
The great Rick Derringer produced and played on some of his bigger records.

Stardrake

The great Rick Derringer produced and played on some of his bigger records.

Mostly his early stuff--most notably, Rick Derringer copped EVH's solo for "Eat It" (Of course, today Jim West plays it perfectly.)

There's a video of Al in the studio included on the deluxe (CDVD) version of STRAIGHT OUTA LYNWOOD--watching him produce his stuff is very interesting.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom