The "Gibsons Are Pretty Good Guitars" thread

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by SG_Seth, Jan 29, 2012.

1. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Instead of another NGD thread, I present the following:

I just purchased my fifth Gibson. It has a baked maple fretboard, paint on the nut, and needed a setup to fit my preferences.

Damn thing plays like lightning and sounds great. It stacks up well with my other guitars which include two SG standards, an LP traditional, and 2 American strats. (which all also needed setups to fit my preferences)

I also have an LP 60s tribute in the mail. I'll let you know if the tribute tries to kill my kids, but I'm confident it will behave.

Anyone else have a pretty good Gibson guitar in their collection?

2. philamag87

philamag87 Silver Supporting Member

What guitar did you get? I too am interested in the LP Tribute series!

3. Lucky one

Lucky one Member

I bought 4 new Gibsons in 2011 and 5 in 2010. All bought online and all splendid right out of the factory cartons. Absolutely no complaints here.

4. axe4me

axe4me Member

I haven't purchased a new Gibson guitar in over 7 years.

5. Custom50

Custom50 Member

i've owned several gibson guitars. right now both of m main guitars are gibsons. I have some beefs with gibson, but it's pretty obvious I'm a fan!

6. SG_Seth

SG_Seth Member

Haha...epic fail. I forgot to list the guitar I bought in my own NGD thread.

Its a new ebony classic custom. Smoking guitar. My first guitar long ago was an old ebony Epiphone custom that I stupidly sold for pennies last year. Lots if sentimental value lost. I bought this one to replace it and ease the pain.

7. whiteop

whiteop Senior Member

My 2010 gold top Traditional Pro is my main axe. Love the way it looks, plays , and sounds after I made a few changes...

8. schundog

schundog Member

Yeah, they are OK....haha. WHEN you find the right one...
    My 40th birthday present to myself 4 years ago; I had to search high and low to find one that didn't have cosmetic issues; the setup issues I knew could be taken care of, but I couldn't believe how many guitars in this price range had problems cosmetically! However, when you find THE ONE, it's a very special moment. Here's mine.

[​IMG]

9. bettset

bettset Member

my last gibson was 2004....a standard. pretty nice. everything else is 1997 to 1977. except for a few 2002 epiphone elites.....very nice guitars that are pretty much gibson but made in japan. i have enough. haven't played the baked maple boards yet.......maybe they will be fine after everyone gets familiar with them. who knows. it'll just drive up prices on pre-baked :munch

10. robertkoa

robertkoa Member

I hardly ever go to Music Stores at least lately but went to check out some Les Paul Studios and the Gold EVO Frets on the LP Supreme- the frets were great- only thing people will complain about the Gold EVOs is the color- great frets.

Anyway- the lighter weight $800 Studios weren't that impressive but the heavier $1400 trans blue was good but the real knockout was the Bonamassa- it had excellent resonance, sustain, good tuning stability and an unusual light brown fretboard wood.

I'm kind of thinking of an LP Studio and having a Luthier put a middle single coil on there.....anyway the Bona was excellent, maybe better than that- I prefer larger frets but the thing had TONE and I don't like Kluson Tuners- it had Grovers.

I'd be curious to play another Bonamassa to see if they are all this good- too bad they don't have a Trans finish-but the tone was the thing.

Another Gibson that sounds very good in every video I've seen are those little 339s- rich tones.

So I bashed Gibson on the "Rosewood Drama Thread" but I want to give credit where due- and I want Gibson to do well- they are an American Icon.

11. dcooper830

dcooper830 Member

Gibson hasn't made a guitar worth a crap since 1959.

12. Space Hammer

Space Hammer Member

fa·ce·tious   [fuh-see-shuhs]
    adjective

1.not meant to be taken seriously or literally: a facetious remark.
    2.amusing; humorous.
    3.lacking serious intent; concerned with something nonessential, amusing, or frivolous: a facetious person.

13. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

Both so horrible I had no choice but to rescue them from a lifetime of sitting unplayed/unwanted in the local guitar store :worried

[​IMG]

14. bismark

bismark Member

You should buy a PRS.

15. Lemon Crush

Lemon Crush Member

The greatest guitar I've ever played is my friends 97 R7 Custom. Everything is perfect. Sadly, I have never been able to find a Les Paul that matches, and I'm not sure I ever will, so that's why I don't own a Les Paul lol. None can compare.

Also, when I was in my teens my singer owned, allegedly, a 1960 LP double cutaway. Not sure what that'd be worth or anything, but it was a great guitar if it didn't have p90's (just not my thing)

16. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

I have a few pretty good Gibsons, paint on nut and all. 4 LPs: 82 custom, 77 Standard, 2004 R9, 2000 Gary Moore. I also have a 69 SG Deluxe and a 76 Firebird Bicentennial. I'm a Gibson fanboy and I approve of this thread.

17. John Vasco

John Vasco Member

My 'stash' of Gibsons, from left: righty '99 LP Standard (bought as an investment for my grandson, he's 7 now)/'76 Deluxe/'91 Custom/2009 '08 Standard.
    Love them all.
    The righty has a single pice maple top, and being unplayed, is in 10/10 condition.
    The Deluxe is 100% original, nothing swapped out. One of only 4 lefty Deluxes made in '76.
    The Custom was bought second-hand in 1994
    The Standard was bought new in September 2010. The Standard has now taken over from the Custom as my No. 1.

[​IMG]

18. jcv

jcv Member

I have a couple pretty good Gibson guitars! I have a Suhr that's been my #1 since '06 and since I've had these Gibsons it gets very little play time... and I got the 2 Gibsons for less than what the Suhr cost me!

I love these guitars so I show these pics whenever I can and this seems like the perfect thread to show them again:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. patentcad

patentcad Member

Incorrect. My recently acquired 2011 Gibson Standard Plus 2008 with Fralin Pure PAF Zebras. That is a RW fretboard by the way. Great guitar, light, killer looks, great playability and tone. Needed a setup, but many new guitars do. Sounded pretty good with the stock BB Pros, sounds even better with the Fralins. $1800 for the guitar (slightly used, it was made in mid 2011) and about $300 to buy and have the Fralins installed. $2100 guitar worth every penny.

[​IMG]

20. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member