1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

The GigRig Z Cable. - Wow - :)

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Rocksully, May 23, 2011.

1. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I received mine today.
    Holy crap, it is fantastic! It is such an amazing product.
    My setup is quite good. I have quality buffers, a great EQ, Lava Cables, True Bypass pedals, True Bypass Loopers, no major audio loss, but adding
    the Z Cable to my chain has made it all NEW again.
    I plan to tape a Before and After soon to show what I mean.

Seriously guys, get this product, especially for your live rigs.

2. slopeshoulder

slopeshoulder Senior Member

Assuming I also have buffers, lava cable, true bypass pedals, loopers, what does thing do for me? i already sound sparkly and feel organic.
    Curious, but a bit skeptical.

coltonius and Flatscan like this.
  3. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

This looks very interesting to me, but only if I can get rid of my buffer. What's the point of the Z cable if you have buffers?

Is it anything more than a Radial Dragster on a guitar cable?

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Leftyman

Leftyman Gold Supporting Member

Your pimping it to the point where it almost sounds like you are affiliated. If you have quality buffers and have "no major audio loss" what's the point?

Flatscan likes this.
  5. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Hey Rocksully, thanks so much for posting.
    Hi Leftyman, just so you know, Rocksully is in not affiliated with us. We have had loads of guys come back with similar feedback.
    Firstly, let me address the Dragster question.
    The Dragster and the Z Cable are complete worlds apart. I am personally a big fan fan of Radial's gear and would certainly never even contemplate ripping them or anyone else off.
    The Dragster is a passive device you place at the end of a buffered signal to control the impedance. The Z Cable has an active interface with a special designed cable that is part of the circuit (balanced and noise cancelling) and replicates the output properties of a passive pickup coil which is so much more than just the output impedance. In fact the interface has a pickup coil in it. It receives your signal, buffered, true bypass, whatever, and re-introduces these coil properties into the signal path using some technology that we designed from scratch. You can control the reactance of this coil which changes the top end dynamics and you can change the virtual cable length. The capacitance in a cable has an amazing interaction with a passive PU coil and effects so much more than how bright or dark your tone is. If you've auditioned a bunch of different cables you'll know they have a massive impact on your sound. So the Z cable gives you the ability to fine tune this to suit your particular rig.
    Also because the design of the unit the actual cable that is integrated into this circuit can be any length. We sell 4, 8, and 12 metre lengths but tested it with a 40 meter cable and it worked exactly the same.

Now, what's the point you ask?
    I have tried to explain this as best I can at the website but perhaps I need to do better.
    The point is the output impedance from a guitar pickup is dynamic. It's not set, it changes according to how you play, how the field of the coil is interrupted. That dynamic connection is altered when you have the signal locked down by a standard buffer. Even with the Dragster, that dynamic relationship doesn’t come back, you can simply have control over the impedance. The major difference with the Z Cable is that the dynamic impedance relationship is re-established at the end of the chain. It is still a low impedance signal, but that impedance is dynamic and is dependant on the signal that goes through the coil. One of our customers put it best when he said ‘it puts the dance back in’. Hope this helps
    If you have any other questions please feel free to get in contact with me through the website and I'll do everything I can to get look after you.
    Thanks guys
    Daniel Steinhardt - TheGigRig

6. chervokas

chervokas Member

Slopeshoulder it's more like one of these type of deals: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm than a buffer. Its output impedance varies as you play in a way that mimics the varying output impedance from the instrument itself (a guitar's output impedance changes with the notes you play, as you switch between pickups, and it drops a lot when you roll back the volume knob) compared with an output buffer which sends a constant low impedance signal to the subsequent devices.

Sounds like a nifty solution for the problem of a loss of responsiveness that you get with buffers which I always suspected was principally the result of sending the amp a constant impedance signal instead of the varying impedance signal. But it doesn't obviate the value of a buffer early in the signal chain if you're trying to manage the capacitance loading of cable in a TB pedal chain or trying to deal with impedance or resistance loading from from hardwire bypass pedals or passive volume pedals.

I do think there's something bizarre about how we as guitarists seem to have gone from the sound of the RLC circuit of the guitar and cable direct into the amp...to a chain w/ that RLC circuit into a buffer that loads the circuit like an amp, followed by a chain of pedals, and ending with an RLC circuit in a box that emulates the one at the beginning of the chain. We just keep adding more an more circuitry in order to better replicate the sound of a guitar straight into a cranked amp. But it does seem like an interesting idea to put one of these at the end of an effects chain.

Shiny_Beast likes this.
  7. JRBain

JRBain Member

Looks great! I hope to add one to my rig at some point...

8. ruger9

ruger9 Supporting Member

Well, it's certainly interesting IF it can replace by buffer (I have a Radial PB-1, which is a buffer AND a dragster in one box). However, I get excellent results with my PB-1, and I don't notice any "loss of responsiveness"... and I'm pretty picky about that stuff. I've actually been playing just guitar to amp for a week now, because I want to get really used to that sound/feel, then plug the pedalboard back in and see if I notice anything.

So, while I'm very interested in the Z-cable, it doesn't save me any space or money. And I currently have no complaints with my buffer. I'm keeping my eye on this one, will wait for more user reports.

9. tonewave

tonewave Member

wow this is very interesting for me
    I knew I was meant to like the dragster concept but was never convinced when hearing/playing it. I really liked the idea of it, but didn't know why I didn't like it.
    your explanation of pickup imp. makes so much sense now.
    I am now intrigued by this cable, which I have looked at before but couldn't really understand the why of it at the time.

So where is this cable best used?
    guit pedals or pedals amp?

10. Blackmoreguitar

Blackmoreguitar Silver Supporting Member

It looks awkward to integrate into a board that has a junction box style (for want of a better description) interface. My board has the in, out, effects loop, amp control jacks, wired to 1/4" jacks at the back of the board. Not sure how that would work with the XLR style socket for the output and would make the supplied cable redundant. Oh dear, this is sounding very negative and I like and use some gigrig stuff, but also what if the lead fails? Not a fan of non standard connectors. Wonder if there is a particular reason for that XLR connector.

11. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

In what way is XLR a non-standard connector? You can pick one of those cables up in the music store of your choice.. just ask for an XLR to Tele-plug microphone cable

Best regards -T

12. Blackmoreguitar

Ok, fair enough. It's just not the sort of thing that most people would have spare in an emergency, at least compared to a guitar lead and I don't understand what the point of the XLR connector is in this application. Maybe it is necessary but if not then why? And it also means it won't work with some boards without adaptor cables/mods to the board.

13. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

Well if you get one of those Z-gadgets then you probably have time to pick up a spare microphone cable for 3 dollars at radioshack before your gig

Because they probably use four wires inside the cable. They could have used a TRS phone plug (stereo tele) but then people would probably try to run the thing through a mono-plug patch bay or effect or whatever and bothered them with emails about how it didn't work

It's also a great way of forcing you into buying more gear from them, that's how Microsoft sells Xbox-accessories y'know ;)

You can use an XLR<>TRS adaptor.. then you'd just have to change out the boards mono TR plugs to TRS-plugs which would fit in the same holes

I'm pretty skeptical to the effectiveness of this gadget to begin with, but XLR is an awesome plug.. and I think that it is stranger that Tele plugs are being used on guitar gear than XLR! :)

And besides, Ritchie Blackmore ruled without it!

Best regards -T

AceBSpankin likes this.
  14. Rocksully

Rocksully Member

I dont use it as a buffer, as I have it after my reverb, which is always on.
    It just made a very noticeable difference.
    Adds more texture to the sound. I dont really know how to explain it.

15. Blackmoreguitar

Well it's wired to a mono jack plug at one end so why not the other.........

Mr Blackmore ruled regardless of equipment, with the possible exception of the latter day tights.

AceBSpankin likes this.
  16. Truxton Spangler

Truxton Spangler Member

As I said they probably use four wires inside the cable that's meant to go from the Z-gadget to the amp.. a TRS plug would work though but might be confusing for some guitarists.. or they just use it to try to make you buy their cable for more $

I was never really into Rainbow either :)

Best regards -T

17. TheGigPig

TheGigPig Member

Hey guys
    YES there is a very important reason for that connector.
    the CABLE which is obviously included with the Z Cable package is a part of the circuit. Its balanced and noise cancelling and works with the interface so it is very important that you use the cable the unit is supplied with. Comes in 4, 8, and 12 meters, but sonically all are identical.
    Thanks guys

shikawkee and AceBSpankin like this.
  18. fuzzyguitars

fuzzyguitars Member

anyone else get to try this yet?

19. 26-2

26-2 Member

Hi everyone!
    I have a question for Daniel! Do i still need a buffer in front of my board or do i get my signal back with the z-cable at the end of the chain?
    Buffer + z cable can make the guitar too bright?
    Thanks for keeping innovating!

20. razorblade_beat

razorblade_beat Member

I'm interested to know this aswell....can I get rid of my designated buffer if I have the z cable?....