The Great Bigsby Debate! (yes / no) ... and let's see your Bigsby Equipped Guitars!

Bigsby Vibrato?

• Yes

Votes: 163 68.8%
  • No

Votes: 74 31.2%

• Total voters

Tomi JR

I love how a Bigsby trem feels! I’ve had many guitars with one and never had any problems with them staying in tune. To me, the Bigsby feel is just very addictive and I can add the right amount of vibrato with it.

Personally, I think the tuning issues are rarely because of the Bigsby itself, but issues with the nut etc.

The guitar I mostly use now that has a Bigsby is my Gretsch 6128tvp. No tuning issues whatsoever and such a fantastic guitar to play.

173150.jpg

yeatzee

My feelings on bigsby's are as follows...

I would never install a bigsby on a guitar that doesn't already have one, BUT I would happily purchase a guitar with one already installed. In fact depending on the guitar it may be a bonus or requirement for that style guitar. Gretsch is a good example:

Ez34Is8.jpg

I would not own a gretsch without a bigsby. Another example would be the ES330, which I think has a style / vibe that fits the bigsby really well.

ZRbAX2i.jpg

However I own an ES345 64ri with no bigsby. I would never install a bigsby on that guitar, but if it came with one I would happily rock that. Same for a Les Paul, a Tele, SG, etc.

stratamania

I answered no, as they are not something I feel I would need. That said, I would not enter into a debate about them, they look right on certain instruments and vive la différence.

monkeybrains

Every guitar in this thread is sick :D

I’ll post another of mine to keep it rolling!

TDgatdE.jpg
Please more info on that. A 54 reissue is one of my dream guitars. A bigsby equipped 54 reissue - oh boy!!
I got a 70s custom that I fear if I put a bigsby on it would make it weigh about 20lbs.

Jayyj

Silver Supporting Member
Just the other day a guy responded to another member's NGD thread with something akin to: Beautiful guitar but the Bigsby looks like someone bolted an electric drill or a blender to it. And also, I guess some players like an automatic detuning machine on their guitar. Hah! I had to laugh ... but seriously some people hate the things while other players really like them.

These are the absolute worst people on TGP, narcissists whose need to show off obliterates any sensitivity towards the feelings of others. If someone starts a 'should I put a Bigsby on my guitar' thread, fine, say your piece but a NGD thread is for someone to share their enthusiasm for a new toy, not spark a robust debate about whether it's any good. Hating Bigsbys is fine, behaving like a jerk isn't.

Anyway... Bigsbys. They're all right, aren't they? I may have one or two in the ranks...

Oinkus

First experience in the mid 70s was a nightmare for me. Did not play a half decent setup ( for 3 decades tried many) Bigsby until the 2010s when all of the upgrades started being used. No thanks.

Guppie

I like the bigsby. The way they look and their Tremolo action is great for adding some wobble and shimmer. Downside is the hampered accessibility of the volume and tone controls.
A bigsby doesn't go out of tune. It's a fixed, rigid metal bar with strings attached. A guitar can go out of tune. Mostly because of binding on the nut or bridge. I think people try to get the break angle over the bridge to steep because they think it will help with sustain. Just enough break angle is enough. Especially on Gibson type guitars the bigsby gets put far too close to the bridge. Sustain is overrated anyway.

I love my Bigsby guitars. When people complain they go out of tune, it just tells me they can’t do a decent setup. They probably think G strings constantly go out of tune too.

Attachments

• 355B0319-ED11-47C6-82AF-8BC49B7815DD.jpeg
    355B0319-ED11-47C6-82AF-8BC49B7815DD.jpeg
    361 KB · Views: 10
  • A23AED63-6AA8-4BBC-A40F-5B9CAD0EBC65.jpeg
    A23AED63-6AA8-4BBC-A40F-5B9CAD0EBC65.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 13

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
I voted no because I don't like'em on my guitars. Never been a trem guy.

But, I do like'em when others play them. There are some really sweet guitars here, fellas.

Sounds great, @Carltone

Trending Topics

Top Bottom