• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Great Bigsby Debate! (yes / no) ... and let's see your Bigsby Equipped Guitars!

Bigsby Vibrato?

• Yes

Votes: 147 66.8%
  • No

Votes: 73 33.2%

• Total voters

Johnms4

Gold Supporting Member
I've had an itch for a Bigsby inspired guitar for a while now. I don't have the cash for one at the moment but I've been toying with the idea of those pickups and some Bigsby like cosmetics on a Kauer Superchief for example.

I'm lucky enough to have had the chance to play a Vibro-King and Dual Professional back in the 90s and loved them.

And you are absolutely right about there being some great guitars in this thread too@
Think that would be a pretty good pairing. Would be pretty interested in seeing something like that, as think aesthetic wise it they pickups would pair pretty well, and would be really interested hearing how the TK Smiths sounded in a semi-hollow guitar.

Yeah, the VK & DP are awesome, and think Bruce Zinky did a great job with them. Hope one day to either get a Blue Velvet, or Supro Tremolectric.

This thread has me itching for a Gretsch. @pukko that looks fantastic, but curious who is the maker?

Silent Sound

A Bigsby is just one of those things that looks cool, but doesn't work as well as the myriad of other products out there. So I say pass. But, if you really want one for its looks, it's not the end of the world, and won't make your guitar unplayable.

ED_P

Silver Supporting Member
I've got one on a Gibson. No tuning issues, but the stock one sucks with regard to blocking the motion of the tremolo arm to way below the strings. I dremeled off the nub stopping that with great effort, but there are after market solutions. Also, the stock flat arm is not as comfortable as a round arm.

They are about the only thing that looks right on a Gibson though.

And the Vibramate sucks- puts it at way too high of an angle. Just commit and drill the holes.

index.php

Capstan Philips

Silver Supporting Member
a NGD thread is for someone to share their enthusiasm for a new toy, not spark a robust debate about whether it's any good
"If you have something negative to say, don't say it at all" should be common decency for NGD threads.

Amazing collection there, Jayyj - I've seen you post a few of these here and there, but in one continuous stream like that....... it's almost too much! o_O

pukko

Think that would be a pretty good pairing. Would be pretty interested in seeing something like that, as think aesthetic wise it they pickups would pair pretty well, and would be really interested hearing how the TK Smiths sounded in a semi-hollow guitar.

Yeah, the VK & DP are awesome, and think Bruce Zinky did a great job with them. Hope one day to either get a Blue Velvet, or Supro Tremolectric.

This thread has me itching for a Gretsch. @pukko that looks fantastic, but curious who is the maker?
Thank you! I built it myself.

Johnms4

Gold Supporting Member
Thank you! I built it myself.
That is pretty awesome. Looks to be an excellent piece of craftsmanship, and is some impressive stuff. Really like the look of it overall though, especially that matching handle on the bigsby.

hank57

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve tried but cannot work with a bigsby.
one reason is the distance the arm moves and the range of note change.
another is how much room it takes up
another it’s the position where the arm sits doesn’t work for me.

Strat whammy I’ve figured out and with the bridge floating a small amount I can do up or down changes.

And yet I love the look. If I had a Gretsch hollow body with one I might and it didn’t interfere with getting to the controls I might be fine with one, just for the look

Gillespie1983

I have a TU2 on the pedal board, do a quick tune in between songs, takes seconds, unless I’ve really worked it, it’s usually in tune or close enough.
I rarely have any time between songs, they're queued back-to-back with no silence between songs. So tuning often happens during a verse when I'm not playing. The Bigsby/Vibraplate had to come off. That was a sad moment, but playing in tune is more valued than Bigsbycating. I get by with a Strymon Mobius&Expression pedal for pitch mangling.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom