the great dangers of the guitar or amp you want to buy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gimpyjoe, Mar 28, 2015.

1. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

back in the salad days, as it were, when you were ready to upgrade there was some kind of "box" store (at least in a nearby city= Dallas/Shreveport) so you took your test instrument in, or used on of the dealers (good shops would asked what you played and they lined you up with a "comparable" model to try out.) even in these days you had to take into consideration the differing acoustics, what was the amp, what kind/gauge of strings. because when you get her home and starting playing at the house-you know acoustics furniture, carpet, f*nkn drapes -tone & volume eating sh*t.
    so the guitar you just bought doesn't sound the same, you can tell the empty spots you remember being aware were full of sound. you distress. well what was different at the store- sure it was the amp or the guitar!
    but was it the guitar, and not the amp............................................

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Neither...

It was the cable.

:p

3. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

so did I not consider that this amp is one of those that all pickups respond to, and as such I have read too much into my testing of the guitar. I have only bought 1 guitar at a show, must have been the old SW Guitar show at the old auto exhibition hall. these were the last days of minimal personal devices and even internet and the weather was great and it was packed. and although there "booths" set up if you were seriously attempting to evaluate say an acoustic or even a jazz box, someone 2 booths down has a small point-to-point head and a 4X12 cabinet screaming for mercy, you've got be careful and exercise some restraint and make the right choice. my stumble was a near mint Ric 620 in a sort of ice blue, small body (melodymaker or jr) rosewood board, RIC-O-SOUND stereo, and some if the weakest, tinny mini-hums I have ever played thru, but in a tent, after a beer, already wanting to buy, all the noise,and, and I feel like I might swoon. I come to driving back home driving like I was leaving Vega, but..............

4. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

what I was doing was motoring to house that was be the stage of conflict as to how this delightful little guitar fall into the hands of this thug. this just isn't going to be right. feelings might get hurt:(
    needless to say my decision making lobe of my brain had called away on a family emergency and I made the call.
    the wrong call.
    the neck was too thin---way too thing. if you ever played one of Peavy's archtop solid body tele I think "generation" you know what I mean. hand cramps in no time. and the pickups were real narrow tone wise and you had to introduce like a 55gal equivalent of signal to get any output at all. I know that the ric-o-stik had to have something to do with it. but it was awful. and I felt trapped in a marriage made in lie . to hastily had the call been made, regardless of the condition, there were consequences to my actions......what was I going to do?

5. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

well, I was going to take a butt-whipping. the area in which this guitar was going on the market was not a "hotbed" of Ric players (fair number of basses, a few 12 strings, and very few solid body 6 strings. I experimented with strings to max the sound, I even lined up the adapter to use the ric-o-sound (trying to make myself like it and it wasn't working). so after about 6weeks I find someone interested, and yes I do sell the guitar. but more importantly I learned my lesson on how to evaluate an instrument to but just in time.......

6. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

for the internet. you are lucky if there's a video/audio clip.
    it's like mail ordering a bride.
    and that friends is why there are so many broken relationships. she catches your eye. "yeah she's pretty, and those are supposed to be killer pickups. and that's such a great picture. yeah, I 'll bet she can play"
    and then you get her home and get her hooked up and it's just not there...

7. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

the story you have just read is true. any figments or fringe figments that bear even passing resemblance to this planet and your people is merely coincidence.

8. Irreverent

Irreverent Silver Supporting Member

So far, this has hurt my brain. A lot.

9. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

OP should save TGP bandwidth and just have this conversation in his head

10. RitalinCupcake

RitalinCupcake Member

I wore an onion on my belt because that was the style at the time.

11. Johnny Moondog

Johnny Moondog Member

:spit

12. luv

luv Member

It was the salesperson's hair.

13. robbinsteele

robbinsteele Member

nope,nope,nope-tone is in the..curtains?

14. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

Don't give Joe any more of your cupcakes this morning. TGP thanks you in advance.

15. dead of night

dead of night Member

"mail ordering a bride." What a great metaphor. Do I pick the pretty one? Do I pick the plain one? Will we make music together, or will I be sorry I made a big mistake?

I'm going through it now. I can see every guitar I'm interested in all over the country. I can look at photos of every angle- the neck, the back, the body, the headstock. I can email the guitar staff and receive well thought out, time consuming answers.

I can do everything except know which one is right for me, the blonde one or the brunette.

16. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

WTF is this thread about?

17. 65DuoSonic

65DuoSonic Member

Yeah. What the hell is going on here?

18. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    It was both.

Sue both manufacturereres and let their lawyers hash it out and then check in towards the end to see if you won anything :confused:

19. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

Ok, so I thought it was lost in translation but it appears I'm not the only one....

20. gimpyjoe

gimpyjoe Member

I bet it looked good on you too. I know those were happy times for you.