the great guitar road trip, summer 2015; where to go?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by smitty.west, Mar 9, 2015.

1. smitty.west

smitty.west Senior Member

this summer a friend and i are planning to do a guitar-oriented road trip. in other words, we're looking to travel to cities and towns around the states that are known for their "guitar culture"/music scene/guitar shops. i'm going to be taking about $5k with me in cash in case anything really catches my eye- hoping to come back home with either a nice pre-cbs jazzmaster or a '61 330, though i'm open to anything as long as it speaks to me.

was hoping you guys could recommend me some essential stops to make. we'd prefer to focus on the southern and midwest states for this particular trip.

looking for everything from small town mom and pop shops to cool high end vintage boutiques.

will probably take about a week or ten days to do the trip.

2. strings4v

strings4v Member

On a sidenote.. this is really a brilliant idea.. I should do this.

3. TresGatos

TresGatos Member

I understand this but bang for your buck goes to NYC. I spent a week there in January. Saw great shows at B.B. King's, Iridium and Terra Blues.
    The massive inventory at the Time Square GC (played ton's of dream guitars), all the formidable small shops with great vintage pieces (Rudy's Soho was great) and a short drive out gets you MusicZoo.

I've never been to the Midwest but nothing in the south would get me to go there (for guitars).

4. T Dizz

T Dizz Member

Dave's !!!!!! Its in LaCrosse

5. NobleGtrs

NobleGtrs Member

Stop here in Nashville for sure! Then head to Chicago :aok

6. Ape Factory

Ape Factory Member

I'd definitely hit Nashville, Memphis, Austin/San Antonio, and Seattle. Nashville has some great vintage stores as well as lots of live music, as does Memphis, Austin/San Antonio (they're an hour apart), and Seattle has some good stores and of course The Music Experience. Austin has Collings too and they have factory visits. San Antonio has a lot of good stores now as well. Three shops opened in the last year with just about anything you could ever want, from the low end to super high end stuff. A must visit is Lark Guitars: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1507262
    It's right behind Liberty Bar so make sure to stop in there and have something to eat/drink. Great place.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  7. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

what's your starting point?

8. Shadow Puppets

Shadow Puppets Member

Memphis to take a tour of the Gibson factory and Sun Studios / Stax.

9. towtruk7

towtruk7 Member

Here's a good midwest to South path:

Minneapolis, MN - Willies, Twin Town
    La Crosse, WI - Dave's Guitars - his personal collection is worth the trip
    Chicago - Chicago Music Exchange plus several others
    St. Louis - heard good things, but haven't had a chance to hit any shops
    Memphis - Gibson factory
    Nashville - Everything
    Atlanta - Boutique Guitar Exchange

10. Schweezly

Schweezly Member

I've never been...but this was going to be my recommendation. They seem to have a lot of stock and with reasonable prices.

I'm in Chicago and for my money I'd rather look at Dave's than CME. CME tends to price stuff very high and expect you to try and haggle. Still...it's a beautiful store with a crazy level of Inventory.