The great Morgan vs. Matchless vs. Vox debate

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dave12, May 10, 2012.

1. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy!

I see this posted in this forum all the time, and to be fair, I've posted this before when I was curious about what amp to get. I think I've got a grasp on the situation though, now. :stir

Before I got the Morgan (for posterity, mine is a Dual 40, but it could be the ac20, ac40 or deluxe models), I had played a DC-30, and I had owned an AC-30. So, I was asking where the Morgan fell in, and for the most part, I got this feel that "a Matchless is it's own thing" and "The Morgan is an AC-30 killer." Well, after I ordered the Morgan, I started hearing people say that an AC-30 is it's own thing and that none of the amps voiced similarly sound like one.

Then I got my Morgan Dual 40

Here are my thoughts:

I think the Morgan falls somewhere in between the two amps. It is neither a Vox nor is it a Matchless. It does, however, share a lot of features of the two. I found that I can get my Morgan to sound open and chimey like an AC30 or punchier and compressed (yet still chimey) like a Matchless. It does sound like a Morgan though, which should be obvious.

I don't think that it sounds purely like either amp, but I especially don't think it sounds like the AC-30. The Morgan tends to coax a more punchy rhythm out of my right hand cause it sounds a little more compressed than the AC-30, but if I back off, it sounds nice and chimey, yet altogether different. I love the sound, but I no longer feel like I wouldn't want an AC-30 after playing this amp like I (foolishly) did before I got the amp. I'd actually really like to run an AC-30 parallel to this amp.

I do not feel like I'll want a Matchless though, cause I feel I can get close enough with the Normal channel and EF86 switch. Will it sound exactly like a Matchless? No, but personally, it cops most of the tones I would want from the Matchless (more AC30ish). I think I'm more of an AC-30 guy, honestly.

All are great amps, but in the end, if you're looking for a Matchless, get a Matchless. If you're looking for an AC-30, get an Ac-30. If you have an AC-30 and you want to upgrade, just get a HW or 6TB model. I think you'll be happier.

If you want a Vox-flavored amp with some Matchless mojo (yes, I just used that word :facepalm), then think about a Morgan. It definitely has it's own thing going on just like the other two.

Feel free to disagree/agree.

2. SKYHIGH

SKYHIGH Member

Thanks for sharing. My Morgan Dual 20 has killed GAS for me. Only amp I would like to try in the future is Matchless. We'll see where it all goes.

3. terrapin

terrapin Member

This "debate" is IMO getting a bit old and rerun! There will never be a winner here. The OP's points are well taken, but how nmany times is this going to be rehashed?

4. Rupe

Rupe Member

Anybody who can't get a Matchless C-series to sound like an AC30 either has super-human hearing or can't dial in an amp. Never played a Morgan but have heard nothing but good things.

5. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

The funny thing about this debate is that at the end of the day most of the people who participate in it just sound like U2 to their audience, not like Vox, not like Morgan, not like Matchless. Maybe Coldplay? The point is... the amps all do the same thing in slightly different ways, and they all sound fine, but I can't imagine one being adequate for something that either of the other two wouldn't be.

I realize the amps do more than just the dotted-eight delay baseline for make-me-sound-like-The-Edge tone, but let's face it -- the people who seem to be most interested in this comparison are from a subset of the guitar playing public that, shall we say, buys whatever everyone else is yapping about here this week.

You want a real debate? Fender vs. Marshall vs. Vox. 50 years later and we're still having that one.

6. electron transl

electron transl Member

...vs. Bad Cat ;)

And FWIW Coldplay uses Fender HRDs.

7. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Well, I guess they've really doubled down on their "aggressively average" theme. You are what you play!

Haha. Sorry if anyone's a fan, but there is no love lost between me and the music of that god-awful outfit.

8. terrapin

terrapin Member

WOOOOO...I thought my response was going to piss some off, but I think you have changed that equation :bumpbump Although, I DO agree!

9. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

All in good fun, of course.

Sometimes I fear people take me too seriously here when I flippantly post stuff like that.

10. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

for one, i am adding you to my friend's list!

11. electron transl

electron transl Member

bahahahahaha!

12. dave12

Well, despite the derail, I posted what I thought cause I feel it comes up frequently.

I'm sorry if others feel irritated by it. I think that the Vox/Matchless/Morgan/Badcat (sorry for not including it, but i hadn't played a Bad Cat before) group reaches much further than U2 or Coldplay (which does sound like Fender to my ears).

When I think Matchless, my first thought is actually southern rock a la Kings of Leon. Needtobreathe uses Morgans and are in the same vein as KoL. Just a couple of examples, but I think the amps cover a wide range of sounds.

Just cause people here post those amps when looking for Edge tones, doesn't mean their the only examples. Lots of indie-rock bands are using Vox-flavored amps and don't sound anything like the Edge.

I still maintain that the amps sound very differently. Just cause they can sound similar doesn't mean that most of the tones in the amps are similar. Otherwise, there would be no grounds for people asking for the differences in order to fit their needs.

As far as the Marshall vs. Fender vs. Vox...that isn't really a debate to me. Those amps are often used for different genres, styles, tones, etc. and though there is some overlap in some areas, most guitar players are using them for different things. Debating the use between the three is kind of pointless to me. They are best used for completely different sounds.

Edit: to clarify the difference between our two comparisons (F vs V vs M and Match/BC vs Morg vs Vox) is that while the second comparison is of tones alone as I tried to make clear in the OP, I think the first comparison has too much brand/genre preference bias to really make it a tone comparison by itself...if that makes sense.

13. JamminJoe

JamminJoe Member

I think the more common scenario around here is that people will want want the Vox sound but even BETTER. And they'll want this without even having owned a Vox first. The hype of new or boutique amps drives this. Other makers will try to improve on the Vox sound, and in doing so they lose that classic vibe.

What I've found is, if you want the Vox sound, get a Vox. They seem to know best about getting the right balance of Vox chime, shimmer, grind, and mids. I have the AC30H2 heritage with blues and the AC15HW1 (with greenback) and they are just about perfect. I also have a Bogner Metro which I love but it doesn't have the chime of a Vox (probably due to the V30 speaker).

14. terrapin

terrapin Member

All these comparison points are well and good, but for me, in the absence of being able to afford a Vox, a Matchless and a Morgan I will take my Morgan anyday! It will do Vox, it will do Matchless and, most importantly, it does Morgan.

And to Kitten, it is pretty well known you are NOT a Vox sound guy, but COME ON, there is a hell of a lot more to the Vox sound than U2 (thank goodness)!

15. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Oh I wouldn't necessarily say that... I've had a few... a few Voxes, that is. And a few Bad Cats, and I feel like one or two other amps in that vein over the years. Bunch of EL84 Goodsells too, if those count. I tend to prefer Fender tones, but I don't discount the usefulness of some of those Vox tones, and I don't mean U2 sounds either when I say that.

However, while you and I (and some other people) realize the amps do more than U2, it seems that here on TGP the vast majority of people who are talking about these amps are just looking for something that will sound like xx. Where xx is either The Edge or someone whose entire sound seems to be based around mimicking The Edge.

You know how that goes... it is what it is.

16. dave12

I guess here's where I disagreed somewhat in my OP. I think it'll do all 3, but I think it does the other two more limited and less than the actual other two amps to a point that it's worth owning the other two if you want that sound. I hope that made sense.

Case in point, I can't really get my Morgan to sound like the Ac30 that I had. I LOVE what the Morgan does, but it won't get me the AC30. Thus, I do miss my AC30 a bit, but I could never get the sound out of it that I have with my Morgan (which I love, especially for rhythm). Hence, the give and take.

17. dave12

I'll agree with the fact that a lot of people just want to sound like the Edge (but with an amp that's more money), but then again, isn't that the same for all 3 of the big amp companies here?

Ex's:

I want to sound like Zep, but I want a more expensive Marshall (Germino, etc.)

or

I want to sound like Stevie Ray, but I want a more expensive Fender (i.e. Two Rock, etc.)

It all gets old to me, but for the sake of the argument in my OP, I don't think that any of my points were invalidated.

18. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Haha, that's a funny observation, actually. I never thought of that, but you're spot-on.

19. terrapin

terrapin Member

This is cool! What started as ANOTHER Vox/Matchless/Morgan thread has turned into a very fun and interesting conversation!

And on the Stevie Ray Vaughn Fender/Two Rock comment........You could have REALLY gotten Kitten going if you had substituted Tone King for Two Rock (LOL)!

20. dave12

I'll take this as serious, even though it first hit me as sarcastic.

I'm glad something I said resonated.

Which Morgan do you have by the way?

To your earlier post, I was surprised at how much darker my Morgan was than my AC30. I didn't really imagine having to use the bright switch so much. I was also surprised how much it sounded like a Matchless after everyone said it was so different. Again, doesn't get all the way there, but I would say it sounds more like a Matchless than a Vox, if I had to choose...just my opinion. It certainly a dynamic amp.