The Greenback reissue thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by HeeHaw, Nov 17, 2005.

1. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I was using my greenback reissues at band practice last night. I've had them for several years now. Listening to them mic'd with an SM57 and pumped through the mains, they sound really nice. Playing diamond chords, they really chimed and have plenty of bass, mellow mids, and chimey/jangley highs. Playing through the OD channel and pushing the cones into breakup, they impart their own character to the tone. I like it. This wasn't alway the case......

....When I first got them they were raspy and had some cone cry, but have settled in very nicely and have fantastic sustain. The cone cry has disappeared somewhere along the way as well. Overall, I really dig them think I'm going to keep them. Corksniffy wouldn't like them because they don't say brand whatever on the back, but they do the tones I like to hear and that's all that matters to me.

I guess the main lesson I've learned from this is that speakers can take long periods of time to settle in, and I am going to take that into consideration from now on before judging speakers.

2. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

I've gotta agree. I've had them in a 4x12 for a while, and I really really dig them....they work with many different style amps too. I've tried mixing other speakers in, but I keep coming back to greenies in that 4x12. :dude

3. JWR

JWR Member

I agree. I've had 4 in a cab for 5 years now and they are sounding pretty nice.

4. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

Totally agree...

My reissue Greenbacks in my closed back Germino 2x12 cab are well broken in and sound phenominal IMO!

I've toyed with the idea of changing them out for some of the new "highly touted" Greenback replicas that are currently available... but I've been down that road too many times before with other gear only to wind up unhappy with the end results :(. Lesson learned....be careful what you wish for!

Bottom line...my RI Greenbacks sound and perform GREAT with all of my amps and deliver the tones I love. Not about to mess with that!

5. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

All that matters is if you like them. :D

Warning DON'T do an A/B test with any other cab of Scumbags or Heritage speakers. I am not being facetious here you may still like your reissues better or you may not but do you need to make the comparison if you like what you have? Hell no. Making needless comparisons is the problem not the cure. Your ear can play funny tricks on you as well so if you have something you're happy with then great but don't just compare to see, you only open yourself up to a can of worms and endless buying and selling.

6. JWR

JWR Member

Too late, I bought 4 Scumback SA12H75 and pulled out the new Celestion G12H30 I had. Yes, I like my Celestion GB's but I also have 4 Scumback SA12M75 on order as well. So, yes, I like my broken in Greenbacks. They ARE going to be replaced as soon as Fed Ex shows up. Their good tone and condition may have saved them from Ebay though.

7. tybone

tybone Member

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Love the G12Ha dn greenback

Love the new Heritage series even more!

9. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I've never heard speakers that sustain. How does that work? ;)

10. Fireball XL5

Fireball XL5 Supporting Member

I'm sure the Scumbacks are great speakers...and if I was to get another cab I'd more than likely go with them. But....at this point, I'm very happy with the RI Greenbacks in my current cab and even though I'll admit I'm "curious" about the Scumbacks, I just don't want to "f$%K" with a good thing. I guess I'm just to the point of saying: "It works"..."It sounds good"..."I'm content"..."Now forget about it and play". Much less stress that way! :)

11. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Fireball XL5, I remember feeling like that, right up until I played a healthy set of Pre Rola Greenback G12H30's ...then it was all over... glad you like the tone you've got... that's really all that matters. If it sounds good, it is good.

12. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

I used to LOVE Greenback RI's. Still have 4 at the moment.

Then my buddy Chet said "Come over and try these speakers".

Crap. Ruined.

If you don't wanna spend the money, DON'T compare to the 'bags. Or it WILL be over.

Once you've partaken of the Scumbag KoolAid, it's over.

Knock Knock...Satan calling...kiss your inferior speakers good bye!

<anyone need 4 16 ohm UK greens??>

13. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

Well I don't see why I would need scum in the back of my speakers, but if it makes yours sound better, then by all means enjoy.:D

14. Scumback Speakers

:D LOL :D

15. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

I must have read a 100 times on these forums that the reisuue GB's do not sound as good as pre-rolas, brand x, etc. But i never hear anyone explain excactly HOW other GB clones sound better than the Celestions. So let's hear it.

16. Scumback Speakers

CrunchBoy, this should help you understand it a bit better, at least from the standpoint of why I did it, and how I got there. Basically, Celestion changed the cone, the construction and the parts of the speaker after 1974, and haven't returned to it since then.

http://scumbagamps.com/scumbacks/speakers.html

You can hear comparison clips of the latest GB clones, original Pre Rolas and the Heritages here.
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?s=&threadid=86870

If you need more clarification than that, feel free to email me.

17. big mike

big mike Moderator - EL34 Emeritas Staff Member

My experience.

pre Rola and Scumback vs. GB Reissue.

Pre Rola and Scumback sounded identical.

Compared to the PreRola/Scumback the Reissue is muffled, muddy, unarticulate, and overcompressed.

But again, I was perfectly happy with them until I heard something better.

18. mmorse

mmorse Member

+1 on that. That's EXACTLY the differences I heard. I had V30s, RI GBs and an H30 Anniversary. Then curiosity got the better of me and I tried some Scumback SA12M-75s. All my Celestions are now gone except for the H30 and a couple of G12-65s. And even those are for sale right now. So I can get a couple of SA12H-75s. Moral of the story, if you are happy with your speakers, walk away from the Scumbacks. They will mess you up. ;)

19. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

If you want a Les Paul, buy a Les Paul.
    If you want a Celestion, buy a Celestion.

Heritage G12M's are THE best speaker I have ever owner, look no further.

20. CrunchBoy

CrunchBoy Member

Thanks. Now how would you describe the tonal differences between a pre-rola G12M and a current reissue?????? How about the Heritage G12M? Your speakers? I'd like detailed descriptions of the Tonal differences.