The Grunge/90's Era Sound

Voodoodude69

There really isn't a thread devoted to this so I figured I should make one.

I'm a big fan of this time period just like a lot of people and I wish it would come around again full force. Maybe someday it will, who knows. But for those who are keeping this scene, attitude and sound alive then please, discuss anything about the era that died out too early.

Here you can post about anything ranging from Grunge, New Wave, Alternative, Punk, Rock or anything in between and etc. Discuss anything that concerns that special early 80's-90's sound including the bands, guitars, gear, pedals, amps and much more.

If you want to find out or share anything concerning this pivotal time period then this should be the #1 spot to come to.

Good thread idea. If its NOT just grunge/90's alt though, you might want to change the title. I would not think to look here for New Wave/Alternative/Punk which was more of a late 70's/early 80's thing

Analog Assassin

I don't think there was one grunge "tone" out there. The bands were diverse ... Soundgarden's guitarist used a Peavey amp, Pearl Jam ... fenders and marshalls and tube screamers, Alice in Chains' guitarist used high gain Bogner amps, Nirvana, chorus and Boss DS-1, Dinosaur Jr., fuzz, fuzz and more fuzz ....
That said, I'm excited about Soundgarden getting back together and I wish I'd heard the Temple of the Dog reunion.

andrewface

were sound garden really that good...i gave superunknown a listen yesterday and wasnt impressed at all...couple great songs but not much more

Unadan

Of all the grunge bands only two or three were remotely worthwhile: Mudhoney, Nirvana, and Soundgarden. Most of the rest were posers or just flat-out sucked in my opinion. I'm not yearning for a comeback without Nirvana. I loved the attitude at the time (I lived in Seattle then) but grunge went corporate and the attitude went with it. AIC tried very hard with their latest but honestly I think it falls far short of their earlier efforts and the attitude/punk aesthetic certainly isn't there. BTW this is all you need for "real" grunge tones:

Of all the grunge bands only two or three were remotely worthwhile: Mudhoney, Nirvana, and Soundgarden. Most of the rest were posers or just flat-out sucked in my opinion. I'm not yearning for a comeback without Nirvana.
That DOES kind of sum up the big names, (leaving out Dino Jr) but others, like Tad for instance, had a couple good releases. And Pearl Jam (who I couldn't really stand).

Unadan

I love Dino Jr. (just saw them in Portland). I guess I never really classified them as grunge because they weren't from the NW. More stoner rock than grunge.

I love Dino Jr. (just saw them in Portland). I guess I never really classified them as grunge because they weren't from the NW. More stoner rock than grunge.
Yeah, I saw them back in the day, and then on their little come back tour a few years ago. Really like Dino too. J. took a lot of crap in the UK for doing some TV show interview on Grunge fashion. It was all tongue in cheek for him, but some people thought he was being serious. It was kinda funny, since J was just so laid back.

Another couple of bands that fall in that later 90's era were Pavement and Hum. Both great bands, but in different ways.

So, I guess, to get on track, I saw a lot of 90's bands going for 60's/70's sounds:
Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana, or Mudhoney using Big Muffs, Marshalls, Fender Jazzmasters and Mustangs, Fender Amps, etc. A lot of 60's garage sounds (which was really what it was...I hated the term grunge).

By the 90's, no one could afford Marshall stack because of all the metal bands, so they used all the (now expensive) fender gear, and other MIJ guitars and fx.

SteveO

I saw Pearl Jam in a club in Seattle just as Ten was being released. Never thought of them as "grunge".

puckhead

I saw Pearl Jam in a club in Seattle just as Ten was being released. Never thought of them as "grunge".

I saw them in Vancouver at the same time. A good rock band.
My favourite form that era was probably the Screaming Trees.

Trending Topics