• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Guest Rapper Killed The Guitar Solo

StratoCraig

Yet another sign that the public today can't handle musical passages without words. Think about this: in the '60s, it was routine for there to be several Top 20 hit singles every year that were instrumentals. But in the whole decade of the 1990s, there were only five; and since 2000 there hasn't been a single one. The public's ignorance of music has reached the point that they need words to tell them what's going on.

Hefalump

I actually prefer the rapper to many of the nauseating wankfests that invade most songs for no reason at all, much like a set of diamond teeth blings.

What a cop out! This is TGP! C'mon let's hear it. :D
Ok, ok....Lil' Wayne plays......guitar! :rimshot This is TGP indeed. I thought we were supposed to celebrate every time an artist puts a guitar solo in the spotlight in front of a big audience? Well, there it is! Lol!

Marc Roy

Ok, ok....Lil' Wayne plays......guitar! :rimshot This is TGP indeed. I thought we were supposed to celebrate every time an artist puts a guitar solo in the spotlight in front of a big audience? Well, there it is! Lol!
True but in this case "guitar solo in the spotlight" is a fairly loose term.;)

prototype

Silver Supporting Member
Yet another sign that the public today can't handle musical passages without words. Think about this: in the '60s, it was routine for there to be several Top 20 hit singles every year that were instrumentals. But in the whole decade of the 1990s, there were only five; and since 2000 there hasn't been a single one. The public's ignorance of music has reached the point that they need words to tell them what's going on.
couldn't disagree with you more.... instrumentals are incredibly popular in the last several years, its just that those instrumentals are generally part of the resurgence of dance music via EDM. I would say the top40 chart doesn't necessarily capture how popular they are because musical genres are much more fractured now. Every young person knows Skrillex, Steve Aoki, David Guetta, etc. There was no EDM chart when Apache was a #1 hit, only a pop chart, a country chart and an r&b chart IIRC.

remember that stupid harlem shake song in 2013? you could not escape it.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
couldn't disagree with you more.... instrumentals are incredibly popular in the last several years, its just that those instrumentals are generally part of the resurgence of dance music via EDM. I would say the top40 chart doesn't necessarily capture how popular they are because musical genres are much more fractured.
I totally agree with you. Both guitar solos & instrumentals are more prevalent now than the've ever been Many a modern genre even features them as the main standout melody players.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom