• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

The Guitar Handbook...remember that book?

arthur rotfeld

Silver Supporting Member

I stumbled upon this the other day, my old copy of the Guitar Handbook, which I probably got during my first year or two of playing. It was such a wealth of information about the instrument, players, cool quotes. I also learned a lot of chords and scales here too.

Picaflor

Yes, that and Govan's Creative Guitar 1 are the two books that I still go back to again and again.

bgh

Silver Supporting Member
Still have mine too. It is well worn, and well read. Great reference book. It is funny looking at the "amp" section and seeing the pics in there.

Sheherezadeh

I have many fond memories checking that one and similar ones out of the library when I was young. Bought my own copy a number of years ago.

Fatherflot

I wore out one copy decades ago and bought another one a a couple of years ago and now that one is getting worn out. It's actually open right now in my practice room (p. 136, Polychords).

Love the zen-like mini-forward by Fripp: "We begin with the possible and gradually move towards the impossible."

JDW3

I learned scales and modes from this book. A wealth of info, absolutely. I spent countless hours with it.

Sweetfinger

Silver Supporting Member
I still have mine. That book was the beginning of what I do today. My poor Hondo II Les Paul pretty much suffered through every electronic mod and setup/service tip in there. Thanks, Ralph, wherever you are!

huw

First serious book I had - took me through music college, and still explained some things better than by tutors did. I love it.

Now I use it with my students.

CyberFerret

I still have mine... well, a second copy. The first one got totally wet and destroyed about 20 years ago, so I got another... :)

Brings back memories. I must go look on my shelf and take it down and flip through it again...

DanPaul

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm on my fourth copy. I gave the first three away to aspiring players in search of knowledge. That was in the dark days before the internet. I love how that book is organized in that you could look up scales, modes, harmony, chords or whatever and have it explained in such a clear manner.

Great book. I think I'm going to go dust that sucker off now!

Trending Topics