• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Guitar Scene When You Started Playing

Bankston

Something I've been thinking about lately, what was the guitar scene like when you started playing and how did that influence you?

I started playing electric guitar in 1983. Eddie was the undisputed king of rock guitar. Randy had just died the year before. Right around that time frame the following big name players debuted on the scene: Yngwie, Vai, SRV, Lynch, Jake, DeMartini, Gillis/Watson, Vivian, Smith/Murray, The Edge and I'm sure I'm leaving out some cats.

I remember being overwhelmed by how many great new players there were and just trying to absorb it all and figure out who's playing I really connected with.

Marc Roy

Late 80's / Early 90's for me. A mix of shred guitar and the emergence of grunge. I learned (or tried to learn) what I could from both back then.

chrisr777

Beck, Clapton, Page, Iommi, Townshend, Blackmore, Garcia, Santana, McGlaughlin, etc..........

Guitarfool

Right around 2000, in the midst of the Nu Metal days (which i actually like in doses) but Limp, Korn, POD, Puddle Of Mud, etc -- Much different than the original poster and his playing around 1983 and those players lol

I like the guys of the 80/early 90's as some of my favorites, (Actually i like all types of players from all styles and generations).. The one thing is i wish i played as a kid, o well

:)

Marty s Horne

I started playing around '63. If you could play the songs off the first few Ventures albums and the intro to "Johnny Be Good", you were hot!

huutevar

Something I've been thinking about lately, what was the guitar scene like when you started playing and how did that influence you?

I started playing electric guitar in 1983. Eddie was the undisputed king of rock guitar. Randy had just died the year before. Right around that time frame the following big name players debuted on the scene: Yngwie, Vai, SRV, Lynch, Jake, DeMartini, Gillis/Watson, Vivian, Smith/Murray, The Edge and I'm sure I'm leaving out some cats.

I remember being overwhelmed by how many great new players there were and just trying to absorb it all and figure out who's playing I really connected with.
I started around 1986 but it was pretty much the same guys. I used to eagerly anticipate Vai's Martian Guitar Secrets column in Guitar Player magazine.

Kooshball

Right around 2000, in the midst of the Nu Metal days (which i actually like in doses) but Limp, Korn, POD, Puddle Of Mud, etc -- Much different than the original poster and his playing around 1983 and those players lol

I like the guys of the 80/early 90's as some of my favorites, (Actually i like all types of players from all styles and generations).. The one thing is i wish i played as a kid, o well

:)
exactly. lots of 7 strings..novelty acts (wear a mask, name your self monkey, wear contact lenses)

lots of digital processing as it was a new thing. no wonder it took me so long to get a tube amp. but once i did there was no looking back!

TheJudge

I started around 1976.

I remember some influences during my first few years into the early 80s were:

B.B. King
Eric Clapton
Chuck Berry
Hendrix
AC/DC
Def Leppard
Kiss
UFO (Michael Schenker)
Free
Thin Lizzy
The Eagles
Foreigner

I started gigging in the mid to late 80s and was influenced by all of the above, in addition to the following:

White Snake
Dokken
Ozzy
Ratt
White Lion
...and other 80s bands when MTV still showed music videos (Headbanger's Ball anyone!)

Good times!

GAT

Platinum Supporting Member
I started in 1968 at the age of 12. Credence, Santana, etc. But at the time I was listening to Trini Lopez too. Also, whatever "hit" radio was playing. I never got into the heavier guitarists at the time, like Beck, Page, Hendrix until much later.

clint

Early '80's so guys like EVH were huge. SRV and Eric Johnson. Satriani. Yngwie. All those guys set the bar really high. I never got even close but they totally inspired me to pick up the guitar and realize that I got out of it what I put into it.

NorCal_Val

1980;
Michael Schenker
EVH
RR
Frank Marino
Pat Travers
were the main guys among the guitar players at my high school.
somehow, I lucked into listening to Jeff Beck, Steve Morse, Allan Holdsworth,
Al DiMeola, King Crimson, Yes, and Rush early on though.

sfarnell

Silver Supporting Member
1963 pre-Beatles. I started playing guitar because I liked Ricky Nelson and his guitar player, James Burton. The Kingston Trio were big.

Yer Blues

Grunge/post grunge was pretty much the thing as rock music. I did like a lot of that stuff (namely Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Nirvana), but I was much more influenced by stuff like Guns N' Roses and AC/DC at the time and (whether I knew it or not) stuff my parents listened to like the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkle, Bob Dylan, and Jimi Hendrix.

I think Columbia House and BMG's 12 cds for $.01 deals had more influence on me than the popular music scene at the time. I remember gettings tons of great cds from those deals.

SackvilleDan

Platinum Supporting Member
Late '90s / early 2000s for me. There was lots of nu-metal stuff around, and the tail end of grunge for some reason was popular with some of my friends (I am thinking Silverchair etc.). I also had a lot of friends into punk rock which didn't have guitar heroes per se but still provided some influence!

I actually didn't want to become a guitar player but wanted to take up the bass so I could be like Fieldy from Korn... I took guitar lessons almost by accident to learn some musical theory with the plan of moving on to bass shortly after starting guitar.

Then the love affair started, I became obsessed with guitar and never ended up getting around to picking up the bass until 2012!

Twangmaster

'62-'63... Of course Beatles, and Stones, but a Lot of Beach Boys, jan and dean, and a whole bunch of Dick Dale and Ventures.

skhan007

Silver Supporting Member
I started playing in 1979. I was in elementary school, so my scene was dodgeball and dungeons and dragons. On the outside world it was this stuff on the radio and on my turntable:

Cheap Trick
KISS
Aerosmith
Joan Jett & Blackhearts
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Led Zeppelin
Van Halen
AC/DC

StevenA

1974, Leaving on a Jet Plane was the first song I learned and my lessons cost $2. Beatles, Led Zep, Creedence (Good Golly Miss Molly!!), BTO, Robin Trower, Steve Howe (does he do that). Reading Guitar Player was second to reading Playboy. Anyone who could fingerpicking, play jazz chords or classical was the"guy"

Scott Miller

Gear-wise, there were Stratocasters, Les Pauls, and an occasional Tele. The SG eclipsed the Les Paul for a while. Anything other than a Fender or Gibson was crap, or so we thought.

For amps, if you had the dough, you had a Twin. If you didn't have the dough, you had a Silvertone and you got laughed at. If you were some sort of god, you had a Dual Showman with the big cab full of 15s, which was my dream amp. Then along came Marshall stacks, but by that time I was dealing with life, so I lost track of what anyone was playing. I never progressed beyond a Silvertone.

RhytmEarl

Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Page, - Leigh Stephens, Sam Andrews, James Gurley, Barry Melton, Gary Duncan, ...

London and San Francisco.

CGrisamore

Mid 70's. Frampton, Boston, and lots of cool stuff from a few years earlier (Beatles, Edgar Winter, ABB, Derek & Dominoes, Cream.....)

Top Bottom