• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

The Guitar Scene When You Started Playing

oldtelefart

Started around '63, age 10. Cheap plywood acoustic with Black Diamond strings.
Beatles, Stones, Animals, Kinks. Older brother's friends were playing Shadows and Ventures.

About 1966 it was Clapton, Green, Beck, Hendrix, and things got serious. Got school holiday jobs, saved up for a year and got a '61 LP/SG Custom for $200 and an AC30 for $220. LaBella slinky .008 strings and a Vox wah.

I'm still learning.........

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
Blackmore, Steve Howe, Jimmy Page, James Taylor, Michael Bruce from Alice Cooper, Pete Townshend, Clapton. Loved 'em all, still do.

oldtelefart

I realized very young that guitar players get the chicks. While the jocks were getting clobbered playing football or surfing, I was (badly!) playing songs to their girlfriends....

Baxtercat

Silver Supporting Member
1963 pre-Beatles. I started playing guitar because I liked Ricky Nelson and his guitar player, James Burton. The Kingston Trio were big.
Yep,the Black Diamond strings era.

...when the J. Burton bit at the end of each show was about the only electric gtr. you'd see on TV.

Turi

I've only started playing lead guitar in the last year - year and a half.

I honestly don't know who the great current guitarists are.

Most modern ones I like are.. alex rosamilia, ray toro, matt bellamy, vince acardi (sp?), teppei from thrice and eh.. kings of leon in general.

I love stuff well before my time.. mark knopfler, lindsay buckingham, bruce springsteen..

But yeah.
I'm not young - 27 actually - late starter.. but those are my guitar heroes.. Probably not a true representation of the current scene but they're what I like..

zztomato

Main guitar heroes of the time were; Jeff Beck, Santana, Al DiMeola, Hendrix, Zappa.
First guitar was a Mann LP copy. First amp only lasted a few months before it blew up. Finally got a Traynor. I remember one day when we had relatives over the LP/Traynor combo made my elderly aunt's hearing aid squeal- it was really loud.
those were good days for guitar. I could buy a vintage strat for under 500 bucks. My first great guitar- sadly long gone- was a 1968 gold top LP that I bought for 500 in 1980 I believe- might have been 79.

grill

hell yeah!

i had a beat up black face tele run through my hands before i could get the $180!

i was so mad!!!

my friend got it from some dude at work.

sounded incredible even at my level of playing.

most beat up thing i ever saw and that wasn't cool in the late 60's.

f me.

jeff_lebowski

i started playing in 2000 and it was the age of the crazy heavy guitar and monster vocals.

I might as well have been in a bubble tho because all I cared about were 80's shred masters and all the heavy hitters from 60's and 70's. As soon as I started playing guitar I didn't want to listen to whatever was popular at the time, the guitar playing was awful!

VaughnC

Silver Supporting Member
Upon seeing the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show, I never realized that a guitar could make such an interesting sound and look so cool in the process. George's Gent & John's Ric just made this magic sound like nothing I've heard previously. And, of course, their long hair drove our straight laced, WWII era parents nuts. Loud guitar's & long hair were the perfect teenage rebellion tools of the time. British invasion: I bought an electric guitar, had my last crew cut, and proceeded to make bloody fingertips trying to learn how to play the darn thing(s) ;).

JPF

1971. The Allman Brothers Band Live at Fillmore East.

The Beatles, the Kinks, Led Zeppelin, Jimi, the Who, Santana, Jeff Beck, Yes, the Byrds, and all the usual suspects certainly fueled my passion, but Duane and Dickey ignited it.

Fatherflot

In 1985 I was able to buy a '66 Jazzmaster in great condition for $250 and a mid-70's Traynor YGM-3 for something like $150.

My friends and I sat around trying to figure out how to play songs by The Ramones, The Cramps, The Jam, The Clash, The Buzzcocks, Elvis Costello, early REM, The Gun Club, Psychedelic Furs, plus Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd, The Velvet Underground, and surf stuff (at that time those latter songs had to be gleaned from long outta print vinyl picked at garage sales or pinched from somebody's dad's old LP collection).

The biggest guitar hero for us was Johnny Ramone -- fast power chords and almost no leads allowed. We really liked the way the Buzzcocks used simple repeating melody figures against fast buzzsaw chord changes. Easy to copy, but sounded cool.

TheGuildedAge

I started in 94-95ish I guess. Grunge was all the rage, but I wasn't a fan of that.

When I started I was into metal mostly, AC/DC, Van Halen, Metallica, Megadeth, etc. Got into U2 and more ambient music after that, and I have always loved Indie rock.

The strange journey has made me a well rounded player, I would like to think.

Joe Robinson

Platinum Supporting Member
I started playing in '81 or '82. I was all about Strats and way into Mark Knopfler and the Edge, Charlie Burchill of Simple Minds. So it was Strats, English Amps. I caused gasps and derision when I declared that I wanted to get an AC30 because that is what Edge used.

At the time the guitar world was splitting into 3 worlds. The Edge followers, the Eddy followers and the guys that were already on the Hendrix/SRV path.

The scene where I grew up was a guitar player every 2 houses everywhere (started playing in '84). All looking to be the next Eddie, Yngwie, or Satch. Just one big splooge fest. I was no exception (I worshipped at the altars of Yngwie and Metallica), until some older dude with a nice Strat put in a VHS copy of SRV at the El Mocambo and I promptly **** my pants and learned what playing really was. Then came David Gilmour and I learned what being tasteful was. Then digigng back into the history of Rock guitar and realized how pointless the whole fastest gun competition was. Checking out the influences of my influences showed me there was so much more. Then came some Jazz cats, trippin' on Segovia, Listening to sax lines for a fresh outlook, etc. I still love all that heavy virtuoso **** from my youth, but once your mind is open, there is a whole world out there just for the taking.

Then I met a Woman ('aint that always the way?) and dropped it for a lot of years before picking it up again. Never have been able to play like I used to again. To the younger guys: Never put it down, Niel Young was right : Rust never sleeps.

Last edited:

Strat335

The guitarists that tickled my ears when I first started were Roy Nichols, Don Rich, Grady Martin, Johnny Rivers, and lot more in the 60s. First rock guitar I heard that turned me on to rock and roll in the 70s was Mel Galley for Trapeze, then a whole bunch at the same time - Terry Kath...Trower, Santana, George Benson, BB King, Hughie Thommason and then Eric Johnson and he is still it for me.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom