The Guv'nor

gregb

Finally pulled the trigger on an old Marshall Guv'nor, made in England. Sounds incredible! Can I get an "amen"?

scott1568

Congrats

I'm really thinking of building one.

Can it do Plexi style gain and / or low gain OK? Or is it all JCM800 type sound?

Decent touch sensitivity? I ask because I love my Bluesbreaker clone as well.

It's hard to tell going by Youtube demos.

thanks in advance.

slopeshoulder

I played one many many years ago in a store for 5 minutes, expecting junk. I never forgot how good it sounded. Congrats.

blackba

Gold Supporting Member
I wish I still had my Guv'nor. Cool pedal. I had a drivemaster too and liked the Guv'nor better.

Paul Conway

Got mine (my first pedal!) when they first came out. In Britain, it was an affordable alternative to Tubescreamers and the like. I like it best on low-gain/high level....and the effect loop is handy...

gregb

Congrats

I'm really thinking of building one.

Can it do Plexi style gain and / or low gain OK? Or is it all JCM800 type sound?

Decent touch sensitivity? I ask because I love my Bluesbreaker clone as well.

It's hard to tell going by Youtube demos.

thanks in advance.
Scott, the best way I can describe mine is a mix between John Sykes (Thin Lizzy) and Angus Young (ACDC). It doesn't sound or feel anything like the original Bluesbreaker, which is fortunate because I use one of those as well.

ZebadeeRust

Has anyone AB'd the original with the GV-2?
Yep, I've had mine since 1989 and it's still going strong and still on my pedal board.

I had the opportunity to try it up against a GV-2 for a week or so. IMO the GV-2 was horrible compared to the original. It sounded harsh, scratchy and fizzy, like a very poor facsimilie of the original. Even though the GV-2 had 4 eq knobs compared to the original's 3, I couldn't get it to sound anywhere near as good.

The effects loop on the original is a very useful feature in certain circumstances. It's brilliant with a non switching 2 channel amp e.g. Twin Reverb. You can plug the pedal's normal output into the reverb/trem channel and the loop output into the "normal" channel of the amp and you end up with a channel switch + overdrive with one stomp. very useful.

Trending Topics