the guys that can deal with pain

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dave Shoop, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Dave Shoop

Dave Shoop Member

In sports there are positions played where an enormous amount of physical pain is just part of the job.

Baseball - the catcher. I don't know how these guys do it.
    Football - Nose tackle. I'm guessing this is brutal
    Basketball - No idea, is there a position where getting beat down every game is part of the job description ?
    Hockey - don't know

Great respect for catchers in baseball. It just amazes me that anyone would seek out this position. Have to be really tough.

2. 9520575

9520575 Member

I've heard most top athletes have an incredible ability to ignore pain. Unfortunately, it catches up with them at some point down the road.

I'm not a sports guy. But I've always admired the athletes ability to ignore pain and stick to extreme regiments for diet and exercise

3. Fu Schnickens

Fu Schnickens Member

I read an article by an anonymous A-list NFL defensive back who said that most guys who play with chronic pain are cyclical junkies. They get injured, doc gives them cortisone and pain meds. The keep playing with the help of cortisone and meds, thus making the injury worse and causing more pain. Doc gives them more cortisone and pills. By the end of the season the players are pretty well addicted to the Vicodins and Oxys, taking them by the handful. Then the cortisone starts to wear off, and the guys head for surgery. Post surgery = more meds. Once they recover from surgery the players have to wean themselves off the drugs for a few months until the next season starts. Injury, addiction, kick. Repeat seasonally.

4. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

The best way to deal with pain is to keep moving.
    The pain comes the next day when you are inactive for a bit. During a game/workout/whatever your brian has other things to focus on.

5. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

Kind of like when I got stung by a wasp in the neck while riding my motorcycle about a month ago...nothing to do but keep the rubber down and keep riding. Only hurt for a couple of minutes.

6. aynirar27

aynirar27 All You Need Is Rock and Roll Gold Supporting Member

When i was about 7, I was picking some apples in the back yard. Must have stepped on a rotten one that a yellow jacket was enjoying. Dude flew directly up my shorts and stung a direct shot to my taint.

I immediately screamed and ran at top speed to jump in the pool.
    After I got out, my mom inspected the damage, and the bugger was still there, dead betwixt my butt cheeks.

Not sure what the point of that story was.

Axe-maniac, Hacksaw, A-Bone and 2 others like this.
  7. guitfiddle

guitfiddle Member

IDK, but it was a hell of a story!!

aynirar27 likes this.
  8. A-Bone

A-Bone Montonero, MOY, Multitudes Gold Supporting Member

This is why you shouldn't wear shorts.

aynirar27 likes this.
  9. lp_bruce

lp_bruce Member

I played competitive baseball/fastpitch softball (college, semi-pro) for many years and while I normally played shortstop or centerfield, I spent various stretches behind the plate because I had a very strong arm. It is not for someone who is bothered by bruises, sore knees, being steam rolled now and again. I'm glad I was too small and fast to be put their permanently (you don't want your lead off hitter to be a catcher).

Any position in hockey can be painful, depending on how you play the game.

I've learned over the years that I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, as did my father (who was a phenomenal athlete). Strangely enough, I was also a bleeder. My nose would bleed if it was hit with any moderate force, but I would just continue to play because blood doesn't bother me much and this mostly happened before the days when folks worried about such things. I played linebacker in HS and my nose would spring a leak in about half the games. And I'd just keep playing with blood on my face and strategically wiped on my jersey. I could tell it freaked some guys out and I completely used that.

Peace,

Hacksaw likes this.
  10. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Center and Power Forward. Basketball is A LOT more physical than most people take for granted.

11. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Time Warped Gold Supporting Member

I must be really messed up in the pain department, I didn't think playing catcher was bad at all. Loved it. I liked all the action. There was one time I didn't wear a face mask during warm up before a game and a ball went into the dirt. Popped up and smacked me right in the kisser, lol I knew that dumb move was my fault. Put mask on and game on.

Motocross was more painful to me.

12. Brutus

Brutus Member

As a bodybuilder, I have to find ways to make what I do hurt as much as possible. That's the nature of the sport. Do it for enough years and you actually start to enjoy it because you know you're doing it right.

Sam Karnatz likes this.