The guys who buy my guitars are usually age 50+...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by standard24, Dec 1, 2017.

1. jakefmvermont

jakefmvermont Member

all three of my kids (2 boys and a girl) learned how to play guitar (with very little help from me).

2. Brad8008135

Brad8008135 Member

I think it has more to do with money. When I was 16 (1986), I had no income, and my budget was $100 - Sears catalog guitar. When I was 23, I was making < $40k - and my budget was Epiphone Sheraton-ish. Now I'm 47, the house and car are paid off, and I make a multiple of what I made when I was 23. Plus, I have no crack habit, hooker habit, groping lawsuits, or alimony. So now I can afford the higher end stuff (but choose to wait for fire sales because I'm a cheap ba$tard).

modavis99 likes this.
  3. spiral

spiral Member

Correlation ≠ causation

[​IMG]

KingCosmonaut likes this.
  4. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

That's cool, mutron. Where are you located? Maybe I can find a few guitars to donate.

mutron likes this.
  5. Advisable Owl

Advisable Owl Member

I'm 21. Only really have a hankering for a "lifetime guitar" at this point. Languedoc, R9, Masterbuilt, and other smaller builders are the only things of interest to me now. Every guitar off the rack is pretty much the same.

fishleehooker likes this.
  6. VintageKnob

VintageKnob Member

I had my PSR SE standard for sale on CL and when my 17 year old daughter who plays acoustic heard that I was going sell it, she asked me if she could have it instead. So of course I gave it to her. Perfect for her level. She's into it.

- D

7. Hired Goon

Hired Goon Member

Same. CL has a very poor design, and a shady reputation. In Canada we have Kijiji, which is similar to CL but better designed and run. Reverb is nice for the wider scope.

8. JohnLutz

JohnLutz Supporting Member

The last couple of guitars that I've sold on Craigslist have been to 50+ year olds.

I have four daughters and the oldest three all play guitar. The youngest landed on a laptop though (Mainstage/Omnisphere).

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

True. Did you know that it is an Ebay affiliate? I just noticed that recently.
    A rare talent.
    I do random repairs, mostly word of mouth referrals and the vast majority of clients is older males.
    There must have been more kids playing guitar in the boomer era. Hard to believe as guitars were relatively scarce and are now easy to find, cheap or as free handoffs.

10. Rotten

Rotten Silver Supporting Member

I occasionally chime into these types of discussions with my opinion that the younger generation needs its own guitar hero. I keep thinking Page, Clapton and Beck from my generation. However, I don't think the kiddos listen to music in the same manner any more. They don't delve deep into full albums. Consequently, I think we need to go back to the days of singles. There needs to be a 2018 version of Ricky Nelson and a 2018 version of Ozzie and Harriet that features the good-looking 2018 version of Ricky Nelson playing singles on the show, whether it is a Netflix series, a YouTube series, or something else. If the kids latch on to that, it will be cool again to play guitar and the OP will finally have the youth forking over their hard-earned cash for his goods.

Brad8008135 likes this.
  11. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Supporting Member

Cause it is so cool to be just like grandpa!

rsm likes this.
  12. mikesch

mikesch Gold Supporting Member

Look at what younger players on youtube are playing. Look at the guitar groups on Facebook (where most forum activity is these days). Look at what players are talking about on sevenstring.org. Strats (and Les Pauls for that matter) barely get a passing mention. It's just not what younger players are into these days. Things change.

Drew68 and slugworth like this.
  13. teledude55

teledude55 Member

craigslist is more for people that know what they want...kids most always want "NEW" stuff anyways...give them used gear and they will cry.

14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

Your ads are probably well written and complete. The kids don't understand!

If you aren't talking in Text or some unintelligible language you won't sell to them.

Noah likes this.
  15. Leep Dog

Leep Dog Member

Makes sense to me, I had NO MONEY when I was kid. There's no way I could have afforded a Fender or Gibson or PRS or whatever. I had a cheap Squier and then traded up for an almost cheap Ibanez.

jazzbludgeon likes this.
  16. icr

icr Member

Who is selling to you? Widows and inheritance recipients? Drug seekers/thieves ? 50 year olds that just can't find the 'right' low-end Stratocaster? Other dealers?

17. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Many of the guitars I buy are over fifty years old.

18. Rocco Crocco

Rocco Crocco Member

Parents of kids who are interested in picking up a new guitar usually buy new, because they don't know what they are looking for and CL is no substitute for a salesman at a store.

Drew68 likes this.
  19. BluntForceTrauma

BluntForceTrauma Member

I sold a guitar to a kid on craigslist once. He was maybe 13 or 14. His father was with him. I asked his father if it was OK for his son to buy the guitar and he approved.

20. candid_x

candid_x Supporting Member

"kids" and "old guys" are two completely relative terms. My youngest kid has had and still has more boutique gear than this old guy would even dream of, and I don't do too badly, even if I do prefer Bajas over many Teles costing 4x as much.