The Hayseed Honeymoon!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mark C, Jun 9, 2006.

1. Mark C

Mark C Member

Well, I've had it for a while now and just cranked it up again throught the EF86 when I had some time yesterday. With a Tele it's just the fattest richest and meanest clean tone I've ever heard and it just sails into smooth overdrive like no other amp I've ever owned. I tried an AC30CC at GC and it didn't sound anywhere near as good as this amp does, every player I know who has heard the Hayseed has been completely floored by the tone. Plus, it ended up costing me less to get this amp than I would have spent on a Vox with blues (I've got one blue and one G12H-30 in mine). And the icing on the cake - just look at it, Rob let's you pick your tolex and grill cloth.

[​IMG]

2. bscepter

bscepter Member

Agreed. I've only just started using the EF86, and I absolutely love it.

3. 69strat

69strat Member

I have the same color scheme in a head. I just love the wine with gold cloth and piping. Its such a classy look!!!! Ah man, now I sound like a chick!!!!!:p

4. Teleplayer

Teleplayer Silver Supporting Member

Is it legal to use Vox diamond grill cloth? Per the mojotone web site:

"* Important note about Vox Reproduction Cabinets...
    "No cabinet including one that is represented as being for an original Vox chassis can be made with Vox grill cloth, and that anyone offering to build one is doing so illegally per Korg USA distributor of Vox product in the US and will be subject to prosecution at their
    discretion."
    Mojotone can not place Vox Diamond Grill Cloth on any cabinet or baffle. "

Not trying to create a stir, I am just wondering.

5. tralfax19645

tralfax19645 Member

Thats nice of Korg. Now when is Gibson going to sue for VOX for lifting the top boost mod off the GA-77 ?.
    Rob

6. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Wow, that's one of the hottest looking amps I've ever seen. Congrats Mark C!! I'd love to get one of those or a CC. Most of the comparisons I see between those two amps though generally seem to end in a tie regarding inherent tone but if I had my druthers I'd get one of these.

Does yours have the tremelo and reverb?

7. 69strat

69strat Member

Not trying to create a stir, I am just wondering. Yea right!!!!! The check is in the mail.

8. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

If that is getting Korg geared up for law suits then what does this do?
    http://www.jmiamplification.com/h1.htm

I think the above threat has more to do with the fact that North Coast Music has paid bucks to have the Vox licensed cabs and that unlicensed versions such as the mojo cabs were selling for less than NCM versions and in the interest of protecting the license the above threat must have been sent to mojo - just my guess but I wouldn't guess that Korg would be suing VTech anytime soon - that JMI company - that is another issue.

These threads always manage to get the CC vs Hayseed angle going don't they? :horse

9. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

How could they not? I mean if someone is in the market for a Vox style amp in this particular price bracket those are the two frontrunners. Are people supposed to consider both and just not say anything about it? :confused:

10. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Nope, it's just that it has been done already to death. Some people think the Hayseed kills the CC; others think the CC kills the Hayseed. And usually those making the statement have not had a chance to play both side by side using their own guitars which basically ends up yielding an "us vs. them" catfight.

If anybody has actually A/B'd them for extended periods in a controlled environment then that would be interesting.

11. bscepter

bscepter Member

Well, I have owned both, and they both sound very good. The thing that tipped me in favor of the Hayseed was the construction quality and the availability of the all-important EF86 option.

Now, I'm playing mostly Cheap Trick-meets-Badfinger Power-Pop, so I play a pair of humbuckers cranked through whatever amp I'm using. And in that situation - with the amp dimed - both sound heavenly. The EF86 gives you gobs more gain and low-end, though, which is great.

As for cleans, both sound really good with my Telecaster as well - though I only use that combo in the studio.

In any case - they're in the same price range, so most would be happy with either (assuming that they want an EL84-type amp). Again, personally, I like the Hayseed. But that's just me.

12. wordsonyou

wordsonyou Member

Well that is the 1st reasoned comparison anyone has made in some time between these two amps and without saying that one kills the other - those are the kinds of comments that make comparisons worthwhile imho.

13. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

I agree. I guess I always just immediately dismiss a comment along the lines of one "killing" the other. A/Bing the two is where I pay attention. As it is I find both of them to be intriguing and would love to have either.

14. JPERRYROCKS

JPERRYROCKS Member

Rob,

What's the EF 86 option?

I think I have one of the the first hayseed's you ever made with the master & 1/2 power.

15. bscepter

bscepter Member

For $75 (I think) Rob will add a knob that allows you to switch between a standard 12AX7 (ECC83) dual-triode preamp tube and an EF86 pentode (both normal and "bright") preamp tube that was found on early Vox models such as the AC15 and the AC30/4.

The EF86 (in my opinion) gives the amp a much deeper, fatter, gainy sound, almost like that of a heavily overdriven Marshall.

In any case, for $75, it's like getting a whole other amp. Another benefit: NOS EF86s seem to be less expensive than their ECC83 brethren. I found an NIB/NOS Telefunken for $25 on eBay, and it sounds great. The only downside, from what I understand, is the lack of reliability from current-production EF86s. But there are rumors that Mike Matthews from Electro Harmonix will be tooling up to produce one.

16. roknfnrol

roknfnrol Supporting Member

Yeah, my Hayseed 30 doesn't have the EF86, it sounds ok though. I think to really appreciate the amp I might need to send it to Rob, especially since I really do love a Marshally/British tone. Everyone only talks about the EF86 option... I'm either gonna sell the amp or send it to Rob.

17. AshlandBump

AshlandBump Member

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    I agree completely with the comments comparing the two amps. What works "best" for a particular player with his or her gear is the only absolute when it comes to amps, guitars, etc. If you think your amp "smokes" or "kills," that's great, but that only means the amp works well for what you're trying to do with the gear you have.

I compared my Hayseed to an AC30CC that I owned, briefly, in this thread: http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=144795
    I liked the CC; if I didn't own the Hayseed, I'd probably own the CC or a TBX. As it is though, I could dial the Hayseed in to sound like the CC on the Top Boost channel, so it was a draw in that respect. The ef-86 driven Normal channel, however, really makes the Hayseed stand out, especially with a Telecaster or a Gretsch equipped with single coil pickups.

18. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Do you guys ever blend/jumper the top boost channel and the ef86 channel? Are they in phase? When I get my Hayseed 15, I'm looking forward to trying this.

taco

19. teefus

teefus Supporting Member

my hayseed custom (the b+w one from the photo posted on another thread) has internally jumpered channels. ch1 is the ef86 vox-like channel and ch2 is a totally different 12ax7 based channel. hi input #2 sends the signal to both channels (no phase problems) and you blend to taste and set the master. bam!

20. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Thanks. I have an Axess BS-2 buffer/splitter which has a phase reversal switch on the "isolated output" so I guess, whether it's in phase or not, I've got a solution. I'll bet it sounds good.

I also like the idea of putting some effects into the top boost channel and running the ef86 dry and blending that. Having seperate inputs and volumes for each channel really is handy. I'm psyched.

:D