The Heaviest ( in terms of weight ) amp you owned and the misfortune of lugging it around ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telejester, Mar 19, 2020.

1. lenster

lenster Member

My Marshall 9100 power amp is quite possibly heavier than my old Laney VC5O.

2. Telejester

Telejester Member

Can we agree that Mesa are the amp company of the:-

1 slipped disc
    2 hernias
    3 pulled shoulder
    4 lower back strain
    5 upper back strain
    6 torn bicep muscle
    7 stiff jaws from clenching of teeth

I'm giving Ampeg a close second, but Mesa.........damn

Toby Krebs and fusionbear like this.
  3. MrDoty

MrDoty Supporting Member

UL twin reverb with the master volume, sounded great weighed almost 100 lbs..to think cats used to put EV's in these SHEESH!!!

4. mcuguitar

mcuguitar Gold Supporting Member

My Lamborghini story. In the early nineties, I got into two bands in Santa Fe, New Mexico. So, I packed up my two guitars, and my Mesa rig, and drove down from Pittsburgh. Once there, I needed a good jazz combo amp, so I bought a clean, 1969 Fender Twin Reverb with factory, orange-frame JBL speakers. Got a hotel gig up in the foothills somewhere (La Fonda? Don't remember), and after a long night of playing with piano wiz Burt Dalton, and trying to sound like George Benson, I packed up my guitar and amp (no pedals!), and headed to my car. They were having a Lamborghini car convention at the hotel, and the weirdly shaped, steeply inclined parking lot was full of Countaches and other Lambos that were pretty, but nothing short of unobtanium to a struggling musician like myself. I was, and am a car nut, so I knew the models. Anyway, as I was putting my Ibanez hollow-body in my old Mustang's hatch, the twin got away from me, and began rolling away. Dang, that sucker picked up some serious speed, and I found out it's not easy running in slick-soled dress shoes as I chased after the torpedo-like Twin. I grabbed the top handle just before it impacted the rear bumper of a red, Lamborghini LM002, the giant 4X4 Lamborghini off-road vehicle. Just missed it by inches. I often wonder what my life would've been like, being effectively an indentured servant into my early 30's, as I worked to pay off the damage to that rare, red Lamborghini.

rdodson and Ravindave_3600 like this.
  5. benadrian

benadrian Member

Not my amp, but I played bass in a band wit ha guy who had a Fender Quad Reverb. It was basically a mid 70s twin, but in a 4 x 12" COMBO! The speakers were all 100 watt handling; giant magnets. It was a two person lift. It was a hundred watt half stack in one package. It sounded amazing, but I'm happy those days are well behind me.

6. TubeStack

TubeStack Supporting Member

Mesa RA100 2x12 combo, was just over 90 lbs, I think.

7. CDP

CDP Member

Finally sold my Mesa Lonestar 2 x 12 combo. Great tone but heavy as hell. I still have my beloved Bogner Shiva, which won't win any awards for being portable. At this point the Bogner only leaves the house for recording or larger gigs, but even then the backline is usually provided. Most of my gigs are now through 2 x Roland 80 watt solid state Cubes, and I can carry one in each hand :)

musicman1 likes this.
  8. toasterdude

toasterdude Member

Same here but a Mace

sgmarshall likes this.
  9. jazzgitter

jazzgitter Member

Two amps that qualified for the clean and jerk I owned were the Peavey Mace and Seymour Duncan 100w convertable with EVM12L at close to or above 100lbs each.

10. BADHAK

BADHAK Member

In head format.......Ceriatone 2203 that seemed near twice the weight of a vintage 2203.

Combo format.......probably my 82 4104 with 12-65's.

11. guff

guff Member

Quad Reverb: 100+
    While casters help and elevators exist, it's a you-call-that-a-stage and ground floor kind of amp

LordByron likes this.
  12. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Great tale - Was B*E*rt Dalton my ol' bandmate from Villa Park's Willowbrook Hi ? ;)

13. musicman1

musicman1 Member

75 lb pv stereo chorus 400. My special 130 is about 55 lbs.

The_Whale likes this.
  14. Brooks

Brooks Member

Yep, 1st heavy amp, got it in 6th grade.

Then I had a homemade Mesa 4x12 clone, ughhh.

Quad reverb w/ celestions in college.

Real Mesa 4x12, still in my 20's. Went to combos after that.

Later started playing metal again in my 40's, gotn a Mesa vertical 2x12, also very heavy, that was about 8 years ago.

All my stuff is pretty light now ('65 DRRI, Quilter 101 head, Mesa 1x12 cab).

15. musicman1

musicman1 Member

i have a cube 80 but actually use a cube 40 most of the time. 19 lbs.

CDP likes this.
  16. gearlovin

gearlovin Silver Supporting Member

The quad reverb is a loud thing also.
    The Boogie must be something also..

I got a super twin with 2 EV offered lately.. I had to pass even if the deal made sense financially... Probably 150 pounds

17. LordByron

LordByron The Dude abides!

An eastbound man, in a westbound lane (ATL)
    My '68 Bassman 4x10 combo was no lightweight, but it sounded dog damm awesome and my back was young and strong back then. :)

18. Robot B9

Robot B9 Member

70s Twin Reverb. My poor back!

19. gillman royce

gillman royce Supporting Member

Ampeg VT-22. Did anyone else make an amp where the cabinet was steel reinforced ?

20. Ravindave_3600

Ravindave_3600 Member

Peavey B215 cab, official weight 125, actual weight 612lbs. It was glorious - big full tone and loud enough to shake your fillings out. It was just so bulky and heavy I could barely shift it by myself.

I traded it straight across for a home-built unit with 1/2 the power capacity I could actually move.