The Heaviest ( in terms of weight ) amp you owned and the misfortune of lugging it around ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Telejester, Mar 19, 2020.

1. xjojox

xjojox Tardis-dwelling wanker Gold Supporting Member

Heaviest head was probably a Rivera Bonehead. Massive...The full width of a 4x12 cab, plus pretty tall and deep.

Speaker cab...I had that 4x12 recto cab clad with the diamond plate armor. That had some heft to it.

My first “nice” amp was a 60’s Gibson GA55-RVT, aka “Ranger”. It was a 4x10 amp...but stouter and heavier than the super reverb my bandmate was using. Don’t recall the weight. I was a teenager with an indestructible back. But it was heavy.

I’ve had plenty of boogie combos with EV’s, and they are very heavy for a 1x12, easily over 80lbs.

Had a buddy with a MESA Road King combo. 98 lbs per Mesa but it felt like more LOL.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Wyzard and willyboy like this.
  2. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

In the late 80s I had a 100 watt Ampeg head and 4-12 Ampeg cab like Steve Morse used.I don’t even remember how we moved it all over town but we did lol!

Last summer I found a 1986 Laney AOR50 combo in mint condition and I love Laney amps.
    Upon lifting it I was horrified to discover it weighs 75 pounds lol! It has not left my rehearsal space!
    And probably never will.

3. Matt L

Matt L Supporting Member

Yep...I’ve got one (MkIV 1x12) and it’s my favorite amp, but I have other lighter options unless nothing else but the best will do. Mine has a Creamback which might drop the weight slightly, and I have casters, too...much needed!

4. Toby Krebs

Toby Krebs Member

A couple of horrible hernia surgeries will change his mind!

Thumpalumpacus likes this.
  5. Hefalump

Hefalump Member

Marshall Vintage Modern is a heavy mofo

6. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

Back in high school, my parents bought me a Peavey Special 112 combo (teal stripe) for Christmas (my first good amp, which still works and is still at my parents' house). Not sure what it weighs, but it ain't light by any means.

7. Adel2

Adel2 Member

A Mesa MK2B combo with a EVM12L speaker back in 1983. I must have had a strong teenage back at that time.

8. Thumpalumpacus

Thumpalumpacus Member

I don't know anyone with seven mouths, brotha. That's just freaky.

9. EL34

EL34 Silver Supporting Member

Matchless DC-30 back in the mid 90s. I swear that amp weighed a million pounds. It sounded glorious tho...

10. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

I don't know. I think the cabinet in the Stereo Chorus is plywood. The amp itself is pretty heavy; the power transformer is huge. It is a 260 watt amp.
    Mine was gifted to me too; it had blown speakers. I put in the EVMs and now have an amp that stays very, very clean at very, very high volumes. But it seldom leaves the house.

Edit: My Peavey Stereo Chorus 212 is the version with the two band EQ on the distortion channel; I don't much like the distortion channel for this reason. The clean channel is fantastic though.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  11. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

My Tremoverb Combo was 107 lbs, so I converted it to a head that is probably more in the 65-75 lb range. It's a beast for sure. Sounds awesome though.

12. The_Whale

The_Whale Member

Most are. But not all....

13. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

Anything with a EV and you might as well fill the cabinet with 3 inches of concrete while your at it. Love the speakers though.

Adel2 likes this.
  14. Coiled

Coiled Member

What is that combo amp by Fender with 4x10? That can’t be light...

15. sunburst79

sunburst79 Member

That’s the Bassman 100 and it’s plutonium cored power transformer.

I always wanted to find a roached Bassman 135 and swap the iron into a silver panel Twin just to see if it got louder and cleaner and had more bottom end.

But yeah. Fender could have balanced out the handle to the center of gravity or gone with spring loaded cup handles on either end. Most off balance head or amp I have ever seen.

Honorable mention for a buddies Kittyhawk M3 Head. I think it was all iron with any dead space chinked with glass. Sounded great till it died. Which I understand they pretty much all did.

16. redbrick

redbrick Member

Mid 90s Fender 'The Twin' about 85lbs...maybe more.

17. Zonk

Zonk Member

The old Mitchell Sand Amps, been a long time since I've seen one, the cabinets were filled with sand.

18. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

Leslie 145. Still unmatched.

19. Well Done

Well Done Member

I'm exclusively head and cab nowadays.

I don't find the weight of gear to be a major issue it's more the awkwardness of lugging round a 4x10 super reverb by one handle.

But as heavy as guitar amps are nothing can be as bad as lugging around old school PA gear.

Edit: Or a Leslie cab

20. jdel77

jdel77 Supporting Member

I recently sold a Synergy 2x12 cab with two EVM12L’s in it in a live-in roadcase.
    I kept the EVM’s though.
    That was 72kg/159lbs and was a royal f*cker to deadlift. Sounded pretty damn good though. Got the EVM’s in a 2x12 Diezel cab now with a slip cover. Much better.