The high price of toys

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by RedneckDerek, Apr 28, 2015.

1. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

Now that I'm about done gassing for stuff I'm in the toy GAS phase for my boys... I just bought the character toy of Baymax Big Hero 6 for my little boy. $40 bucks. It's basically a piece of plastic that makes flying noises.

Now I'm not complaining. Watching him jumping for joy at Target was worth it alone but after a single day, the sidekick character has disappeared (probably flushed down the toilet by his younger brother), and one of his leg pieces is missing.

Thomas train sets are expensive. But it's probably due to the solid oak pieces I'm guessing? Toys are one of the biggest expenses IMO of having kids isn't it?

2. Jason_86_951

Jason_86_951 Supporting Member

Hotwheels! All of the fun and only a buck :)

3. popinvasion

popinvasion Supporting Member

Kids never play with them after a day or so. Rocks and sticks they will play with daily though.

4. Madsen

Madsen Member

my brother has done really well with my nephews by getting them into things that have been out for a while & picking up older toys used for cheap.

5. RedneckDerek

RedneckDerek Member

Yup yard sales

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Endr_rpm

Endr_rpm Member

Legos. We have a pretty good sized bin, and they keep the boy amused. But we have to top it off from time to time with new sets, which I relay don't mind :) He also has a bucket of action figures that get added to semi regularly, and he did get the big Baymax with the removable armor for Xmas, but he has kept track of all the parts.

My daughter is happy with art/craft stuff and her Kindle.

7. Jim Holloway

Jim Holloway Supporting Member

My wife has found some amazing values on used toys through craigslist including a couple of huge tubs of geotrack track, trains, and miscellaneous and once a large lot of Thomas trains, track, and train table. Frankly she's found way too much stuff but thankfully that's cooled off since the boys are a little older now (8, 5) and she's about run out of room for anything new.

The Thomas lot was fun. We gave our first the table along with a small portion of the track and then brought out additional track, buildings, and trains slowly over time (from a hiding spot in the basement).

The Thomas stuff got a boatload of use early on but not as much now that boys are older. But they still build huge geotrax layouts in the basement.

Jim

8. BetterMeThanYou

BetterMeThanYou Member

Gah! Tell me about it...Just blew $250 since summer's coming up and we needed a play set and a trampoline for the back yard. Kids are expensive, I tell ya!!

9. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    My folks got me this box when I was about 2, I loved it!! ! I found the meaning of life at an early age! :idea

[​IMG]

10. hellbender

hellbender Member

11. GovernorSilver

GovernorSilver Member

My nephew received a bunch of pricey toys for his birthday. Guess what he played with the most?

A classic bubble blower - just the thing you dip into the soapy bottle and blow to make bubbles.

Go figure.

When he was smaller, he played with a ladle all day while his "real" toys could not maintain his interest for long.

12. sanrico

sanrico Member

I got the Baymax for my kid from Amazon. At the time, it was $25 and it made him the envy of every kid in the vicinity. We were walking through a parking lot, and a car stopped just to ask us where we got it.

I see the price has gone up on Amazon.

Baymax was peanuts compared to the playset we just built for him. It's a freaking monstrosity.

13. Hanglow

Hanglow Member

I've got a lot of nieces and nephews, I just go to pound stores and buy lots of cheap tat - they love it and it costs **** all. It'll break within a year but so what, they outgrow their toys so quick it doesn't matter.

14. sundog964

sundog964 Supporting Member

$40 won't even buy an oil change on the adult toy.

[​IMG]

15. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

He'll shoot his eye out!!

My girlfriends nephews are 7 and 3. The 7 year old has a bonafide Lego addition. We are thinking of having an intervention. I wasn't there for Christmas and his birthday, so I splurged a bit and bought him the Lego AT-AT. What he heck, they are only young once. I don't have little kids of my own so it's fun to treat them.

He got so excited!! The cute part is after he says "THANK YOU!!!" You can hear his little brother try to say thank you as well.

Love those guys!!!

It was his little brothers 3rd birthday. For presents, I got him a ball, a toy truck, and a teddy bear. Might have spent $30 total and he was just as happy as could be.

:aok

16. ACfixer

ACfixer Member

Seriously. A BB gun and the time spent teaching a kid to shoot well IMO is the best "toy" investment.

17. Bobby Wasabi

Bobby Wasabi Member

Lego.

-My boys (12 and 10) are still into it
    -My daughters (7 and 4) play with it, they even have some of their own (Friends Lego)
    -Older boy has got into the Mindstorms (robot Lego) this year
    -It's fun for adults
    -The stuff last FOREVER (kids go to gramma's and they play with the 1970's Lego their mom and uncles/aunts grew up with)

18. Jason_77

Jason_77 Member

My girlfriend surprised me with that same Lego set for Christmas and I had a similar reaction! I think Lego has a very silly idea about their intended age range.

19. GuitarGuy66

GuitarGuy66 Member

I'm 45 and still have my big old suitcase full of Lego. I don't play with it ever, but I have it.

:)

20. explorer76

explorer76 Member