The higher end Ibanez acoustics?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by JJK, Aug 27, 2008.

1. JJK

JJK Member

I was curious about the 'higher end' acoustics Ibanez is putting out now. I'm talking about this guitar mostly:

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/...ustic-Electric-Guitar?sku=515806&src=3SOSWXXA

It is $799 and has solid rosewood back and sides, a solid cedar top, and ebony fretboard and bridge? Seems too good to be true. Do you think these are Chinese or Korean instruments? This model in particular is very intriguing to me.

I currently have a Taylor DN4 but I keep contemplating whether or not to sell it. I just cannot get used to the thickness of the neck, or the large dreadnought body. I don't really know what to do here...

2. soulohio

soulohio Member

boy that's a nice guitar. I can't comment on the Ibanez, but I hope it is better than the other 1K level guitars I have played coming out of Asia, namely the Takimine models.
    Oh, and i don't dig those dread bodies for extended periods meself. bothers my arm.

3. JJK

JJK Member

Yeah it definitely seems nice. Plus we are an Ibanez dealer at the shop I work at, so I'm sure I could get this guitar for much less than $799. :D

4. soulohio

soulohio Member

JJK...have you played one? Is it overtone heavy? Can you PM me with a price?

5. JJK

JJK Member

I haven't played one and I'm not really sure what it would cost me for one, but I'll find out today. I was actually thinking of getting one myself, but I'd really prefer to try it out. I called my local GC and they didn't have the model in stock...

6. JJK

JJK Member

7. soulohio

soulohio Member

that is a nice guitar. there is something of a bruhaha regarding these bluridges priced new vs. used martins...i am yet to see anybody actually play a blueridge but i keep seeing on the 'net how great they are. maybe buy one used?

8. chris77

chris77 Member

dont mean to Hijack but I too have been looking and did go and play some blue ridge buitars including the one mentioned above and I was really middle of the road. Had some things I really like and some I just dont think I could live with. Sound pretty good really, tiny neck and strangly small headstock and really cheep open back tuners. I would consider on at a used price but that is it for me. IMO

9. aquadog

aquadog Member

I went down to McCabes in santa Monica with my sister to help her pick out an acoustic guitar.

Out of everything there, the Seagulls and Blueridge's were by far the best bang for the buck. Both sounded fantastic, though as with any acoustic each guitar sounds different - I found some of the $500 Blueridge's sounded better than the ones costing twice as much. Try to play some before you buy if possible, but either way you will be getting a great value for the money

10. JJK

JJK Member

I like thinner necks on acoustics and that's why I'm looking at that Blueridge BR-163. I also like rosewood on acoustics with spruce tops and there are other things I think I'd like about the guitar. The problem is that there are really no Blueridge dealers in my area and I've never played one. I may just take a chance and buy one online.

11. mike80

mike80 Member

I don't think I've ever played an Ibanez acoustic that I like. Yeah, they may look good, but I think their tone is absolutely horrible. Too much honk for me.