The hijacks are back with a vengance!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Staticbuster, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Wow. This is the worst yet. They started back last night around 5:30 est. Since then it's been a hijack for every new page loaded. Most hits are redirects to the Draft Kings app in the app store, but just today I'm getting some kind of shopping website. It doesn't matter what the TGP ad displayed is, it's coming from all of them.

iOS 8.1.3, Safari iOS browser

2. Selsaral

Selsaral Member

Yeah my god it's bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I don't know what to tell you. Its not happening to me (windows 7, Chrome). Is it only on a specific site? (is it TGP?) Are both of you on Safari? I have heard Apple is now getting virus writers, now that they have figured out windows isn't the only platform out there.

4. Laelaps

Laelaps Member

5. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    hmmm no prob here :dunno

Win 8.1 using crackhead wireless

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

It's IOS redirects. Only happens on cell networks, if your on home wifi it's usually not a prob, if you are getting it on home wifi you can set up router to use Google DNS and it will go away.

7. Staticbuster

Staticbuster Member

Well, that's not entirely true. The IT folks here have said numerous times the problem is in the ad-serve scripting and it's not allowed by the google ad service. It's malicious code written into the ad serving protocol. So what network you are using to access the site has no bearing. It's also not only a mobile thing, as I get it on my MBP too. Just not to the extent that it is currently happening on my phone.

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Yes the ad networks are injecting malicious scripting into the ads. It maybe a iOS redirect, it maybe one intended for android, or one intended for desktops.

But I can assure you it only happens on my iPhone when I'm using AT&T network when out and about. It is definite and repeatable. Was using stock DNS provided by Cox cable here, got redirects on desktops, phones, iPads. Switched to Google DNS or Open DNS on home router per instructions from our IT guys at work and it disappeared completely. They are both effectively stripping out the malicious scripting.

When I'm out and about I exclusively use Dolphin browser for iPhone with ad block turned on.

9. n9ne

n9ne Member

Only affects my iPhone while using Safari or Firefox....and only when I'm on TGP.

I typically browse TGP using Mercury browser with pop-ups disabled and Ad Block enabled, which eliminates the pop-ups and redirects entirely. However, I just got my first one on Mercury a couple minutes ago....so apparently the malvertisers have found a chink in the armor.

10. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I've just noticed that the only people getting hit with it are either not using adblock or are not Silver or Gold supporting members (no ads if you are), so it has to be the ads. Install adblock and it should go away.

FWIW: I haven't seen it on a PC (Win8/firefox), on my MBP (OS X 10.10.2/Safari) or iPhone (iOS 8.1.3/Safari).

11. dingdongditch

dingdongditch Member

Does CCleaner and AdBlock not alleviate the problem?

12. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

Guys - do screen shots and get me the URL of the ad and the redirect and I can report it to the ad network (Google). Especially if as noted above that it is repeatable. Help us to help you. PM or email me though; I do not live in front of a computer watching every post on every thread.

FWIW - all subscribing members of any level have ads disabled. If you want to block them using Adblock instead, that's free. If you are getting redirects and have no ads serving, then you have a malware infection.

None of this malevolent stuff benefits TGP in any way.

13. HendrixVibrato

HendrixVibrato Have some experience... Silver Supporting Member

Hey Scott,

Just wanted to send you a quick thank you for allowing *all* supporting members, not just silver & gold, to benefit from your ad-killing generosity. Sure seems to me like you're doing everything you can.

Members - PLEASE do as Scott asks, especially since they are mostly repeatable - screen shots, etc.

Remember, the Internet is a constant game of cops & robbers, TGP had this pretty well knocked out a couple of times so far (at least), ad they will again - and again.

And barring that, once again, please consider sending in a measly $12, $25 or $50 per year so that you are *never* subjected to ads in the first place. Personally, I think that is amazing that TGP is allowing even the lowest level of support to have all ads blocked so cheaply, to give up all of that revenue, in exchange for less than pocket change, to continue this great community.

Bests to all,

14. slugworth

slugworth Supporting Member

Yes, just support TGP, then it's not an issue.

15. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

But Ad Blocker will interfere with a few other sites, most notably face book. FB will be completely dysfunctional if you block ads.

That was my observation......the people who say they are not getting hijacks all have the words "supporting member" under their names......i.e. supporting members get TGP ads turned off. It's only a $1 dollar a month, $12 bucks for a year.....this site is easily well worth that, don't you think? :JAM

16. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

Facebook works just fine with ABP running at all times. I just don't see facebook's stupid ads.

17. Stonebandit

Stonebandit Member

Agreed. Help out in your small way for the great forum that is totally well run and maintained.

TGP has certainly provided many of us musicians with astounding amounts of information and collaborative discussions that have make it a part of daily life.

From all music styles to The Pub, techniques and opportunities to sell/purchase items, I'm so glad to have discovered this forum. Much time is spent between guitars, the Pub and Effects/Strings and Things.

Thanks to the Board for eliminating the Ads for us that have contibuted, makes for such a cleaner experience.

Chip in and become a member.

18. sausagefingers

sausagefingers Supporting Member

Yep, pay your dues. Easy fix.

19. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

I'm running the following:

Firefox with Ubuntu and Adblock - no issues. Facebook runs fine as well.
    Firefox with Win7 and Adblock - no issues. Facebook runs fine,
    Chrome with Android - No issues

At work

Chrome with Windows 7 - No issues.

I consider myself lucky,

20. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Supporting Member

Total fail for me, as soon as I installed Ad Blocker. As soon as I removed it, FB started working again. Maybe I had something configured wrong.....