The History of Armenia

mikebat

We were just talking about the Armenian Genocide at lunch today. 1.5 million, utterly insane.

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
@aram

beautiful, chilling.

_______

my friend bill was one of the active producers of the film, "the promise"..... which disappeared very quickly.
i wanted to score it, and i'm sure that bill would have liked for that to happen, but i could not do it without an EU passport..... which i could not afford to acquire in a timely way.

it was a big, epic'ey film, but i did feel that it shed some useful light on the hideous depth of that atrocity.

Davepitt11

Strange how almost no one knows about this.
Such a major historical event.
Don't want to go too political here but...
The government of the offending country lobbies hard anytime a US politician wants to make a nonbinding resolution recognizing it. Since there are US bases there, they usually get their way. There was even going to be a movie made of the iconic novel 40 Days of Musa Dagh, but that foreign government pressured both the US state dept and MGM and eventually got the movie scrapped.

Nebakanezer

World’s Okayest Guitar Player
Gold Supporting Member
That's relatively cheap for a genocide. :dunno
Add this to the list of many reasons I’m going to Hell. I seem to chuckle during many serious situations, but I wil listen to the OP’s post for some redemption.

tiktok

Silver Supporting Member
This is a great movie about it and the aftermath.

MV5BZThiZTZjN2EtMTllMC00ZjExLWFlNjQtNWM1YWMyM2MxMWEyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNDkzNTM2ODg@._V1_.jpg

Matt L

I met Peter Balakian at a reading and book signing for Black Dog Of Fate. My brother-in-law is Armenian and educated me about the genocide. He is not a fan of Turkey, to this day. Will not purchase or support anything from there.

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
Don't want to go too political here but...
The government of the offending country lobbies hard anytime a US politician wants to make a nonbinding resolution recognizing it. Since there are US bases there, they usually get their way. There was even going to be a movie made of the iconic novel 40 Days of Musa Dagh, but that foreign government pressured both the US state dept and MGM and eventually got the movie scrapped.

yup.
afaict, the primary reason it took so long to make the movie i’d mentioned, above, was the number & force of political & financial blockades imposed by the government in question, and the cause for the film to have been blacklisted by american theaters.

dumbell78

Beautiful work. This is incredibly emotional for me. I'm Assyrian and this genocide cost us 600,000-750,000 of our people. Also lost were an estimated 5000,000 Greeks as well. Tragedy of epic proportions.

GerryJ

Researching (from afar), it also appears that present day Armenia has never recovered- seems to remain a small, relatively poor country - many more successful expats throughout the world than in the homeland, moreso than other countries.
-----
I will not post the photos (Turkish officials taunting starving Armenian children) as it would likely close the thread.
You can access yourself- they are horrific.
But also- let us not blame the average everyday citizen there at this time.

lhallam

Growing up I was told, "Clean your plate, there are people starving in Armenia". Hated cleaning my plate but years later I found out what that really meant.

Davepitt11

Researching (from afar), it also appears that present day Armenia has never recovered- seems to remain a small, relatively poor country - many more successful expats throughout the world than in the homeland, moreso than other countries.
-----
I will not post the photos (Turkish officials taunting starving Armenian children) as it would likely close the thread.
You can access yourself- they are horrific.
But also- let us not blame the average everyday citizen there at this time.

No, in fact, it was a Turkish family that hid my grandfather (after the rest of his family was killed) and helped him escape.

fetishfrog

My wife and I had quite a few Armenian friends when we lived in LA and they were the first I'd heard of it.

It's an incredibly tragic event and deserves to be recognized for what it was.

Northerner

My ex wife’s grandmother lived through it.
Nothing bothered her.
She would say,
“Nobody’s killed or hurt, everything’s fine.”
Her parents were made to choose between her and her brother.
The choice they were given was which one would be killed.
Her parents knew that their son would be killed anyway so they chose her.

HDTH

Here is some Armenian Duduk music...some of the most haunting, mournful music I've ever heard. - Beautiful piece in the OP @aram - I found out about you from TGP, happily so.

Alex Najarian

My grandmother escaped from Turkish capture 5 times. On one occasion, she was only 9 years old and was caught along with two of her girlfriends. She was precocious, having seen several of her family members murdered already.

My grandmother and her two girlfriends were captured and placed in a courtyard with a very high rock wall to keep them inside the confines. On the evening of the first day of her capture, my grandmother told her two friends that they better climb the rock wall but her friends were scared to try so they didn't. My grandmother, Anna told her two friends that the Turks were going to kill them but her friends shrugged it off and said, "No, they won't do that". My grandmother, although only 9 years old, had the bravery to climb up the wall and escape that night. The next morning, her two girlfriends were murdered.

Reactions: SMT

Trending Topics

Top Bottom