The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by mid-city tim, Mar 9, 2015.

1. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

Any fans?

Last night I was laying in bed listening to the radio and came across a reading of this on a local station that reads newspapers and books for the blind.

It was quickly apparent that the reader was having difficulty with text as he was mangling a lot of the words, and it took him a while to realize that Ford Perfect was actually Ford Prefect. It still made me smile inside as I remember the first time I had read it and if I were to do it out-loud that first time it would have probably much of the same.

Well, when I first started listening it was where Arthur and Ford hopped a ride on the Vogon constructor ship. I was so hoping to hear him read (mangle) the Captain's Vogon poem, but alas, it was not to be so. That part will be read next week as time ran out for his segment.

I'm going to record that next segment for posterity's sake and if anyone wants to listen live next Sunday, you can catch it here: http://www.wrbh.org/next-up-on-sci-fi-novel-the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy/, from 10 ~ 11PM.

Cheers!

2. TheClev

TheClev As seen on TV

I'm pretty sure the answer to your question is 42.

3. gdomeier

gdomeier Supporting Member

Love the book. Various movies? Hit or miss...

4. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Member

I read the whole thing in high school, and the first book 3 times since... Now I'm working my way through the rest of it for the first time in a long time. About halfway through Life, The Universe.... I think Restaurant was about as good as the first book, I mean you have the loudest band in the galaxy and all that. Universe is kinda wearing thin.

If you like the Guide, read some of the Discworld Series books. They are equally as silly but it's set in a fantasy world instead of sci-fi and honestly... I like them better

5. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Gold Supporting Member

Don't Panic. I'm sure somebody will come along and answer your question. Oh wait TheClev already did. Now if we only knew what the question was…

6. NorCal_Val

NorCal_Val Member

Infinite Improbability Drive...engaged!!!!!

7. option1

option1 Member

One thing to remember about Hitchhiker's Guide is that the books (or at least first one or two books) came from the original BBC radio series. I think rather than translating the print books to audio, people would be better served by listening to the original radio series, which are available on CD (I think). They're brilliantly done, and many of the voices were used in later adaptations for the screen.

Neil

8. Blue Light

Blue Light Member

Big fan. Douglas Adams (author) was a genius. There are so many concepts and bits from this that constantly come back to me.

The Total Perspective Vortex. The Babelfish. Marvin the Paranoid Android ("Here I've got a brain as a big as a planet and they make me do this.")

And don't forget your towel!

9. Jules

Jules Member

With your sister somewhere you wouldn't like
    I used to be a big fan. My brother got me into it as he recorded it when it was originally a radio series. I went on to read all the books multiple times and also loved the BBC TV series they made. Was really looking forward to the movie but it was crap. Oh well.

10. Tom CT

Tom CT Old Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

When you finish the Hitchhiker series, be sure to check out Adam's two Dirk Gently books. Not as zany, but seriously entertaining in that unique Douglas Adams style.

11. hubberjub

hubberjub Silver Supporting Member

Yep. I practically wore out the VHS I had of the TV series when I was a little kid. I read all of the books while in high school. The movie was a huge letdown, but it made some people aware of the series.

12. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

CBC played the BBC series in the morning during the early 80's, it was timed so that I could use it as an alarm, so I would escape the arms of Morpheus with Douglas Adams. What a wonderful thing.

13. ShavenYak

ShavenYak Member

I have a Disaster Area T-shirt, I wear it pretty often while setting up for gigs. It's black, of course.

14. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

I too have listened to the original radio series but not until after I read all of the books.

I guess I'm trying to convey the hilarity of the guy stumbling on a lot of the weird words. He would sometimes make several attempts at the same word and he would actually chuckle a little as he read.

As mentioned, I can't wait to hear him read the Vogon poetry!

My brother and I had that poem memorized and I still remember parts of it.

15. deluxeman

deluxeman Member

I did the book on CD, it was awesome, very funny.

16. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

+1 on the Dirk Gently books

Best title ever: "Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"

And another +1 for Terry Pratchett's Disc world series if you like humor mixed in with your Sci-Fi and Fantasy .... they have made some nice TV shows/movies from the Pratchett books as well

:banana

17. mid-city tim

mid-city tim Member

Ahh, Dirk Gently! Will have to revisit those two again. I vaguely remember the refrigerator bit and how when he drove somewhere, he would pick a random car and follow it. He generally never made it to where he wanted to be, but he was always needed where he ended up. Good stuff!

18. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

Can't wait to here how he mangles Slartibartfast

:wave

19. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Read all the books, huge influence on my sense of humor in high school. Adams was great. I liked the last big budget film (although many critics didn't).

The scene where Marvin, after living for millions of years, crawls to God's 40 foot high burning message "WE APOLOGISE FOR THE INCONVENIENCE." is forever etched in my memory.

20. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Douglas Adam's birthday would be coming up soon too.