the Hives, Jet - Hiwatt or Reeves?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tickdoker, Aug 12, 2008.

1. tickdoker

tickdoker Member

Looking for that tough clean overdrive sound ala the Hives, Jet etc. They all apparently play Hiwatts (new or old not sure). So, Hiwatt or Reeves? I know this question has been asked a lot, but these artists appear to be using "new" Hiwatts and the sound they're getting is what I'm after. It might not be the purist Hiwatt tone but that's the tone I want. If anyone has any specific info about what they're using or how best to get this tone I would greatly appreciate it.

2. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

the new HIWATTs 50s and 100s use the same circuit as the Reeves 50 & 100s. The attention to detail, component quality and build quality are higher/Better with the Reeves.

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have a mid-period original made at the Biacrown Factory, but
    it's still handwrired . The earlier Hylight Factory versions are the
    most sought-after but my Biacrown 50 is totally satisfying .

I had an earlier 100 that I sold 'cos I liked the 50 better.

Give the new Reeves a shot; they're built solid, and by all accounts
    have the Hiwatt tone.

4. tickdoker

tickdoker Member

looking for recording primarily so the PS feature on the Reeves looks very promising. However, as stated in other threads the soundclips are little underwhelming. I'm just looking for that tone that those bands are getting and it says Hiwatt on the front. Isn't interesting though how you have all these boutique makers but you hardly ever see bands touring with them? Maybe it's an endorsement thing, but it's always the usual suspects i.e. Marshall, Vox, Fender, Orange, Hiwatt etc. You don't see that many people on tour with Reeves, /13, Komet, etc, etc

5. ROKY

ROKY Member

I haven't paid close attention, but you're probably right .

The only Boutique amps I own are TopHats.

Other amps in my collection are a couple of Fenders and some
    old Traynors .. and my HIWATT .

The HIWATT is in my top 3 for sure !

6. callaway_1

callaway_1 Member

Real HIWATTs were the original boutique amplifier.

7. ROKY

ROKY Member

I was gonna say that, Callaway 1 ! :BEER

8. fabrizio

fabrizio Member

I saw The Hives (one of my all time favourite LIVE acts) a couple of weeks ago on a festival, and during change over I saw there was a /13 head sitting behind the Hiwatt of Vigilante Carlstroem, and the Hiwatt was not plugged in.

9. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

BUT: all the pictures and videos show Hiwatt, but what did they use in the studio?

10. Tom-Andrew

Tom-Andrew Member

I also think the Hiwatts are mostly just for show.

I remember watching an MTV award show a couple of years ago. The producers cut to a camera behind Nicholaus Arson, behind his amp, and voila... You could clearly see an old Fender Vibrolux standing right behind the Hiwatt cabinet. To my eyes it looked like a Silverface one. And to me, the riffs played by Nicholaus really sound like a tele type guitar through a Fender turned up pretty loud.

I also know that Vigilante Carlstroem used a Tweed Bassman for a long time.

Little known fact; Back in school Vigilante used a Les Paul Standard into a Mesa Boogie combo... Chris Dangerous is probably the hardest hitting drummer I've ever played with. You unintentionally blinked every time he hit the snare drum.
    Also, after leaving school Vigilante actually studied jazz for a while, too.

11. ROKY

ROKY Member

HIWATT and [some] Fenders are certainly in the same family of tone;
    BUT ,,

HIWATTs just have extra punch, grunt, chime and attack.

I have a Blonde Bassman and a Showman and they definitely put out
    some amazing tones, as well .

Pete Townsend used all of the above at various times, & he's, of course,
    the forerunner for these bands in a lot of ways .

12. blondeorphan

blondeorphan Member

Brand Recognition

13. theinteriorleag

theinteriorleag Member

On stage behind J. Mascis (dinosaur jr.) at the pitchfork music festival was a Marshall, Germino, and Reeves heads, each on full stacks of marshall cabs.

14. disaster

disaster Member

Though it pains me that they are mentioned in the same breath as Jet, The Mighty Hives have been known to use older combo amps in the studio- Fender and Hagstrom, specifically.

In regards to the guy that saw them at the festival- it could have been another band's D13. Which is not to say that The Hives wouldn't use D13 themselves.

15. Groovey Records

Groovey Records Member

Jackson Heights Birthplace of Johnny Thunders
    As much as I love Hi-Watts ;) I think Standel has at least 15 years on them.

Standel amps as used by Chet Atkins and Wes Montgomery were used on countless hit recordings.

During the first few years they came with any option you could think of. All built by hand to order one at a time. First Amp with a front control panel for ease of adjustment and a long cord to make life simple.
    First Amp to use JBL 130 speakers all years before these, now taken for granted today, attributes were common.

Last look an original was about 13K

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  16. DenimDemon

DenimDemon Member

Wow, that's pretty awesome. When I saw Dinosaur Jr. a couple years ago, it was all Marshall and at least a couple tweed Fenders (Twins, I think). I know they did get their gear stolen a while back, and I'm not sure what was taken...cool that J. is using some "boutique" stuff, too, now. Hopefully that will get Greg Germino and Reeves some additional sales.

Also, saw the Hives a few months ago and while the Hiwatts were on stage, they were definitely using mic'd Fenders.

-Mike

17. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

Poor Hiwatts! Gettin the old 'Peavey treatment'....

18. openbar

openbar Silver Supporting Member

Actually, we should call it the "reverse Peavey". Half image, half wrestling hold.

19. fabrizio

fabrizio Member

no, absolutely positive, since the amps were on risers and they all had an amp sitting behind their white hiwatt. one /13, and one ampeg svt for Dr. Matt. Nicholaus' Fender is not on the amp riser but on the side of the stage. watch the live show on msn.com and you'll see it. my guess is that Hiwatt offered them the hiwatts since they wanted to promote the new line in white.

20. JamesHealey

JamesHealey Member

I actually worked for the Music Ground group for a short time which are the company who own Hiwatt, These bands were deffinatly using the new hiwatt stuff live and in the studio. I do like the Hiwatt stuff it's very well built by a small collective of people in doncaster uk.

To be fair to both reeves and hiwatt I think they both make an excellent product and i've got hand on experience with both and they're extremely similar in tone and quality.