the holy grail of reverb

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by cjcayea, Oct 16, 2008.

1. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

i was just hoping to gather a few informed opinions on some reverb peds. i currently use an EH holy grail, and while it does what its supposed to do, i feel like im missing out on something. i dont want to drop 4 bills on some super rare "hand crafted from platinum" boutique gadget; i just want something of a little higher quality that will sound nice and still allow me to eat more than just ramen noodles for a year. any opinions? i play an sg standard through an ac30 usually, and i love david gilmour, if that helps. thanks in advance for the input.

2. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

I use a van amps solemate with my ac15 and 5e3 and it's very versatile and sounds great. At 250. it's a good deal too. You can get them at Musictoyz . com.

3. JDandCoke

JDandCoke Member

radical red reverberator

4. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

Gilmour doesn't really use reverb. Do you have a decent delay pedal? I also have a Holy Grail and it suites my needs well, but for all my Gilmour sounds I use delay instead.

5. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Rack = used Rocktron Intellifex

Pedal = Line6 Verbzilla

YRMV

6. buddaman71

Really??? There's dripping plate reverb all over many of DG's classic lead tones....

Comfortably Numb, etc...

The live recordings are verby, cause they were captured in reverberant spaces.

I believe that to replicate many of the classic smooth lead tones in a small club you have to have a bit o' verb...

7. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

right, but there wasn't any reverb in David's rig. All the reverb on the albums was added in from the mixing desk and live recordings where added via room mics. My point is that the Holy Grail should be sufficient for adding that touch of reverb but delay should be the main ambient effect.

8. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

thanks a bunch folks

i have a few delays, ibanez ad99, marshall echohead, and a boss rv3. ive fiddled around with them enough to get a decent match. but if gilmour truly recorded room ambience and not electric effects, i guess my only real option is to move my practice space to the Uk, eh? boy, thats gonna get pricey.

i really wish the verb on my ac30 was worth a damn.

9. Starsailor

Starsailor Member

10. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

I have the Holy Grail and it does the job...I just don't like the power supply issue and the size. I might be in the market for something else so...any more suggestions? What about the Boss RV-5? Hoping to buy something good used for <$100 if possible.

11. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

As was posted earlier, there's reverb on almost every classic Gilmour track. Some tracks, like SOYCD, Sheep, and Empty Spaces in fact call for very wet reverb. The clubs I play in generate zero natural acoustic reverb and you&#8217;re crazy if you rely on a soundman to do the right thing. I&#8217;m currently using a Tech21 Boost R.V.B. for my Gilmour stuff, but I used a Holy Grail for a long time and frankly still think the Holy Grail is the best bang-for-the-buck reverb out there. It sounds better than my Tech21, but I need the Tech21&#8217;s volume knob and didn&#8217;t like that the Holy Grail requires a wallwart.

12. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

I'd be curious to hear some suggestions, too.

I've tried several reverb pedals (Holy Grail, Holier Grail, Holiest Grail, RV-x for various values of x, Digiverb, Verbzilla, ... probably others) but have yet to find one that does a really nice hall reverb.

13. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

At the risk of getting off-thread here, can the wallwart on a Holy Grail be plugged directly into the aux. outlet on a PP2+? If so, I may keep it for a while longer, but powering this bugger is a drawback for me as well...

14. SomniferousEyes

SomniferousEyes Member

+100

15. FireBottle

FireBottle Member

OK - got off my ass and searched the power thing for the EHX Holy Grail...FYI
    http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=98263

16. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The absolute best bang for buck reverb is the Lexicon MPX1.

17. buddaman71

That was my exact point. There's a huge difference in trying to recreate someone's SOUND vs. recreating their RIG.

18. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

What about reverb in pedal form? Best bang for the buck is ...?

19. RANMAN

RANMAN Member

I had a Holy Grail on my board for 2 years, never had any problems with it, sounded, well OK, bit I wanted better. Bought a TC Nova Reverb, I thought this was gonna be THE pedal. Great sounds with some tweakability, not too bad on the wallet, reputable company. After 6 months on the board, my sound thinned out, unit would not calibrate anymore, and I started getting a hissing sound. Three weeks ago I bought a used T-Rex Roommate from another TGP member off the Emporium. So far I am liking it alot. It doesn't have any spring verbs, but I was looking for hall or room verbs and it does these sounds very well. Haven't tried the RRR yet, but I've heard it sounds stellar and it's on my list of pedals to try.

20. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

Thanks for that, RANMAN. I wasn't familiar with the Roommate. The demos sound pretty good.

I had to look up RRR on Google. Looks interesting.