• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

the holy grail

Kadmium

Ugh, really? This is the pinnacle of guitar manufacturing? Do any of us really believe that electric guitar design and construction peaked fifty years ago, and we've just been winging it since then?

Try as I might, I don't understand the enormous value of this thing.

Aran

Ugh, really? This is the pinnacle of guitar manufacturing? Do any of us really believe that electric guitar design and construction peaked fifty years ago, and we've just been winging it since then?

They only appeared from 58 through 60. Around 1700 were built and only 1100 are known to exist. And I am sure if it wasn't for the fact of their rarity and that they became popular because of some guitarist of known celebrity played them they'd be a lot cheaper.

Hen's teeth + many hit songs = lot's of cash

Oh, and this is that guitar.

MRCHILL4

i have played an original 1958, and 1959. they are both incredible. play it with an opened up amp.....you will then understand. play it alone in a quiet room, then you will understand.

mbargav

Silver Supporting Member

Furniture making didn't peak in the 18th century, but Louis XIV chairs still fetch a pretty penny. What's to understand?

Thwap

Likely Baked
Platinum Supporting Member
It wouldn't be my holy grail.

But hell if it's other peoples holy grail, that's fine with me.

I've played 3 of them over the years. Not a lot by some peoples standards, and especially not as many as some of the guys here, but enough to say...in my experience, it's still just a guitar to me.

RedTiger

Questions, questions questions: how do these things play after 50 years? You can't tell me that even half of these were getting regular setups and adjustments over the course of their lifetimes. Isn't it safe to say that a lot of these spent at least decade in neglect until rock n' roll rediscovered them?

Between being stored under the bed with rusty strings under tension for decades and being beaten to hell on the road, how can possibly fall somewhere in the middle -- lovingly played and put away each time?

I have a funny feeling that a great deal of them actually play like crap. You just never know that because it's always ZOMGWTF FIFTY NINE ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG.

lespaulreedsmith

Gold Supporting Member
The link said Jacksons rare guitars and I thought the Holy Grail was gonna be an 80's shredder super strat...:D:rockin

e-z

Questions, questions questions: how do these things play after 50 years? You can't tell me that even half of these were getting regular setups and adjustments over the course of their lifetimes. Isn't it safe to say that a lot of these spent at least decade in neglect until rock n' roll rediscovered them?

Between being stored under the bed with rusty strings under tension for decades and being beaten to hell on the road, how can possibly fall somewhere in the middle -- lovingly played and put away each time?

I have a funny feeling that a great deal of them actually play like crap. You just never know that because it's always ZOMGWTF FIFTY NINE ZOMG ZOMG ZOMG.
Rock n' Roll "rediscovered" them about five years after they stopped making them, at which point they became highly sought after. My guess is that not many of them have been stored under beds.

bazooka47

Obviously cool old LPS but what a dull presentation!

Even the playing demo to "put the guitar through its paces" - a few bars of "Misty"??

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

Aran

Obviously cool old LPS but what a dull presentation!

Even the playing demo to "put the guitar through its paces" - a few bars of "Misty"??

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz
I'd rather hear it clean like that than some wanker playing Lazy Train at full volume, but I like to hear the guitar so that's just me.

frank62

I am thinking it is one hell of a nice Les Paul. I liked the Misty demo. The price? Not so much. The new ones are very close to my ears and eyes.

stratzrus

Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B
Gold Supporting Member
It wouldn't be my holy grail.

But hell if it's other peoples holy grail, that's fine with me...it's still just a guitar to me.
That's pretty much what I was thinking as well, but I'm really not a LP player.

If I had Oprah money then maybe...:dunno

Trending Topics

Top Bottom