- The home recording studio pix thread -

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by IGuitUpIGuitDown, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

For those of us who don't have the luxury of a separate control room. Please post pix.

I'm trying to set-up a 12'6" x 10'2" room with an 8' ceiling. Plus a movable Rubbermaid shelving unit, and three mdf bookcases filled with books that span three-quarters of one of the ten foot walls.

I've read bookcases can actually work as diffusers, so give me some hope! I will post pix once I figure out my set-up.

Thanx for listening.

Last edited: May 10, 2018
    nsureit likes this.
  2. IGuitUpIGuitDown

IGuitUpIGuitDown Member

Yes, I bought Focal 50 monitors exactly because I keep mixing volumes very low in this small room. I'm thinking about getting some free-standing GIK absorption panels in case my studio space decides to relocate!

nsureit likes this.
  3. Multicellular

Multicellular Supporting Member

I have a small home studio. I have diffusion to the sides of the monitoring position and a 2x4 absorption panel behind them. They make a huge difference.

[​IMG]

4. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

5. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

These pics are a little out of date, but I'll share anyway.

I have a basement room, sort of L-shaped with a closet in the corner of the L. The adjacent room has our gas furnace in it, so I have my tracking area as far from that as I can get it and isolated as much as I can.

This is my mix position. I spent a lot of time measuring and moving things around to reach a setup that works most of the time.

My tracking area (usually one instrument at a time, or vocals).

And a messy representation of what I see when I look to the left from mix position. E-drums and my repair area. I don't do as many guitar mods as I once did so I may try and rearrange.

As far as treatment goes, I've done the following:
    - I now have two large/deep traps on the walls to the left and right of my monitors (first reflection points)
    - I augmented my drop ceiling with sound insulation that lays on the tiles
    - I have replaced the tiles above the mix position with 2" OC panels (Primacoustic panels I already owned)
    - I have a GIK portable iso booth and some Primacoustic scatter panels in the tracking corner
    - I have a few sound damping blankets hung along the wall behind the drums that I can move by rehanging them along my ceiling grid. I use these to try and minimize noise from the furnace during mic recording. I move them out of the way when done for easier access to that room.
    - I installed rubber gasket sealing around that door. Would like to replace the door with a solid core door next.

6. JK47

JK47 Member

Nice! Nothing worse than tracking vox with a nice condenser and all of a sudden you "hear the ceiling"

7. guitarmonkeyguitars

guitarmonkeyguitars Member

:D :D :D

IGuitUpIGuitDown likes this.
  8. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

It took me 1 1/2 years spare time to tame the frequencies below 180 Hz in my room; construct/test/deconstruct/test/construct etc etc.
    It was, admittedly a pain to get right. But I have no use for a room thats way inaccurate, and the low freq's are by far the hardest to deal with (takes a lot of real estate and the proper absorbers). But now I can even use a sub up there and not fool myself! :)

[​IMG]

scotth, superpotato_30, PBGas and 6 others like this.
  9. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

From a sonic standpoint, I think I'm pretty lucky
    • High vaulted ceiling that is not parallel to the floor
    • Open on one side with some relatively irregular stuff opposite.
    I've run the speakers' built-in room correction but it was relatively clean. I've since added a Mackie Big Knob so that's my monitoring output rather than the XR18 in the rack.

[​IMG]

mattthehoople, PBGas, yeky83 and 5 others like this.
  10. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

So here’s my ‘desk’ where pretty much everything is done. I have a walk-in closet where my amp can be isolated, and I’ve learned to build a moving quilt ‘tent’ out in the garage, with foam panels placed behind and above the LDC mic, for more critical vocals takes.
    I’m not tracking major release stuff from my house though. I’d still book a proper studio for that.

mattthehoople, PBGas, yeky83 and 5 others like this.
  11. WKG

WKG Member

Here's my work area. It's in a full walkout basement and sectioned off with movable 6' gobo walls down to 13'6 X 18'. No problem areas anywhere and it sounds very good. The lighting was a work in progress as there is only one ceiling fixture, I ended up finding LED strips to put above the ceiling clouds to help. The fact that they can change colors is nice to alter the mood of the room.

Sadly though I am in the process of dismantling everything as we are moving next week. Good news is I get to build another one!

View towards other end. The gobo walls are movable so I can scale the space smaller larger.

12. BWebb

BWebb Member

Wow, beautiful room! I love it.

13. nsureit

nsureit Supporting Member

My wife’s master wardrobe closet is in the same room, and it may be the best chamber I’ve ever used to isolate an amplifier or vocalist.

14. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

Did you build that diffusor from the Tape Op plans?

15. WKG

WKG Member

Thought I'd follow up on this thread. The move is completed. My new space is smaller, roughly 11' W X 13' L X 10 H. Not as much space as our last house but the dimension ratios are near ideal to start with. Followed much the same motif with the exception of some 2d diffusion I had. Given the size of the area I opted to install most of it on the rear ceiling with two panels on the front side walls to kill a nasty flutter echo there. The room sounds great with no significant problems anywhere and it isn't entirely dead, especially at the rear. The double entry doors at the rear open into the entry foyer and LR so I can easily overflow if needed. Still might make some small changes but so far so good.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  16. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

These rooms ^^^^ are looking great!
    You know, with a lot of screen between the monitors, try using a removable panel of 2" acoustical foam to check the imaging. When I did that it really helped immensely, the phantom center hovering right in my face!

IGuitUpIGuitDown and Crowder like this.
  17. WKG

WKG Member

Nice. Where did you find the perforated panels on your traps?

18. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

Those are from GIK Acoustics.

19. mattball826

mattball826 Member

[​IMG]Stud-Main-entr[/url] by matt ball, on Flickr[/IMG] [​IMG]Stud-Main-entr[/url] by matt ball, on Flickr[/IMG]

Control Room on R, Drum Room on L, Vocal Room down past the Drum Room. All isolated room within a room. Wiring in walls on plates. Took a lot of cable.

pbmw, Crowder, BWebb and 1 other person like this.