The "honesty" of a 100 watt amp at home

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by soldano16, Sep 24, 2006.

1. soldano16

soldano16 Member

I've been using my 100 watt Blockhead this weekend at home and I find the absolutely huge headroom both demanding and fulfilling. The tone is so basic, it's refreshing. No where to hide but really interesting dynamics.

No pedals. Just Les Paul, chord and amp.

2. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Ahh thats a perfect thing! Makes you a better player too.

3. HeeHaw

HeeHaw Member

I find it hard to use effects after playing dry for so long. My picking is cleaner, but I still stink.:jo

4. dfarrar

dfarrar Silver Supporting Member

Right on...I am the SAME way! :BEER

5. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

I agree 100 percent with that Philosophy. I spent about 4 Hours Yesterday with a Les Paul Plugged into a 1959HW with the Amp Cranked. No Pedals. I use that head with my Large Bogner 2x12. Man what an Amasing Amp.

I also use a JCM 800 with a Marshall 4x12 no Pedals just Cranked.

Bring on ya litte Choo Choos and set em next to my Locomotive. :BEER

6. TieDyedDevil

TieDyedDevil Member

So what's your favorite chord with that setup? (Sorry, couldn't resist...:cool:)

Seriously, I'm with you. Little buzz-box amps are fun for about ten minutes. After that I'm missing my clean headroom. Doesn't have to be a hundred watter, but fifty is kind of my baseline.

7. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I have to agree. Sometimes there nothing more satisfying than going straight into something powerful with plenty of response and headroom to bring out the essential character of the player and his instrument. I play much more freely when there's little or nothing between me and the amp. When I DO juice it up with pedals I try not to overdo it and I use the pedals I've found to be the most transparent. I like it when my strat sounds like a strat and hasn't been reconfigured by electronics to sound like a compressed and muddy, generic-sounding crunch machine.

8. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

You really have to use dynamics, but the headroom is fun. I have a Germino Headroom 100 and that is a great amp as is the Concorde for pure guitar/amp playing.

Greg Germino told me that he uses a 100 watt amp a lot and its all in the dynamics. However, if you are playing music that requires cranked up power chords all the time, then the volume thing becomes an issues.

9. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I like your philosiphy, :AOK

10. loudgtr

loudgtr Member

Something very liberating about guitar-> cable -> amp. Especially if the amp is a single channel that just does it for you :AOK

11. thedave

thedave Member

"guitar-> cable -> amp"

Yes. That does it for me too. I may not have 100 watt amps . . . mine are in the 2-tube 40/50 watt range. But, then, my basement room is really small! So, I figure I'm in the 100 ballpark.

I'm not cranking down here (as some other postings suggest). I'm strictly into crisp tone and clean headroom. For the loud stuff . . . I take it up to the livingroom! (When everyone else is out!)

thedave

12. go7

go7 Member

+1 guitar, cable, amp.

13. Free

Free Member

I know what you mean about the honesty of every little nuance coming through on a scale that your neighbors can't help by hear too!

14. enditol

enditol Member

When you find the right amp and guitar you don't need nothin' else. :dude

15. Miles

Miles Member

I run an old beat up RD into a Classic 50 and it's bliss for me. I only use a Zvex fuzz on occasion for a boost