1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

The Hudson Electronics' Fanzone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Haunting Mids, Nov 8, 2017.

1. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I must be nuts.

I just had to know what the 9V sounds like compared to the 24V.
    So I bought one :beer

Inbound from the UK.

2. guitarman92

guitarman92 Supporting Member

I did not care for the demos of the standard broadcast. But then I happened upon Living Room gear demos 24 volt version and it’s just about the best rythym guitar tone I’ve ever heard. Too bad these things are selling for close to 300 now.

3. Michael_V

Michael_V Supporting Member

I have the 24V and just ordered the dual footswitch 9V too, though mine will not be incoming for two months! :(

ChampReverb and e-flat like this.
  4. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

If you decide you would like to try the 9V version, this place has them listed at 155 GBP, but when I added it to my basket the total with shipping came up to 139 GBP. So I jumped on it. They're listed as "In Stock".
    https://www.mansons.co.uk/product/hudson-electronics-broadcast-9947

5. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Nice! Same type of “discount” happened to me at checkout at Andertons for the dual footswitch. :cool:

ChampReverb and e-flat like this.
  6. guitarman92

guitarman92 Supporting Member

Dang! That would’ve been nice. But the price did not drop and it would have to be shipped overseas... so might just wait and see what I can shuffle around for the time being

And thanks! We need more TGPer’s like you.

AceBSpankin, johnetone and e-flat like this.
  7. ummohyeah

ummohyeah Member

@Snufkinoob

Oh no how dare these dumb Americans!

Soccer comes from the term "socca" which is short of "association" which meant football as played by the FA's (IE the English) rules. It's a British term.

Same game played with your feet -- not a keyboard. :D

8. Always-Ben

Always-Ben Supporting Member

So lots of testimonials for the Broadcast, but what about the Sidecar?

scott757 likes this.
  9. sublimeaudio

sublimeaudio Silver Supporting Member

I’m a new Hudson convert. Started with the 24v Broadcast from Mojo (they still have them in stock). I really like what the Broadcast does to my clean tone and am using it as an always on right now. Decided to try the Sidecar and love that pedal also. Very flexible with the eq and can go from light to heavy OD.

e-flat and friend33 like this.
  10. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

I finally received my 9V single switch Broadcast from Manson’s Music in the UK, and spent the day playing it alongside my 24V dual switch Peach’s Guitar version. In the words of Ice Cube, “I’d have to say it was a good day.”

The general take away from hearing them side by side is that I don’t really prefer one over the other, but love what each brings to the table.

The 9V is a touch looser, a little quicker to break up and maybe a little grittier & (dare I say) “lo fi” in the way it’s treble crumbles in a beautiful way when it breaks up.

The 24V sounds a little broader & deeper, and it’s transition into break up is more gradual. This makes sense given the wider voltage rails... seems the Ge transistor is slipping into clipping a little less readily.

The general character & tone of the units is the same, but they feel & behave a little differently.

If you have access to multiple voltages for your pedal power, the 9V might be a more versatile option. Time will tell which I prefer, but I sure do love the versatility of the dual foot switch format.

Mayhem13, johnetone, friend33 and 3 others like this.
  11. Tabor

Tabor Member

Nice... I like the way you describe the 9v there... I'd say the clipping is bright and brash but it doesn't get too harsh and fizzy in the highs the way some fuzz pedals can.

I've found that I like the sound of the Broadcast set to a lower gain range with a smooth clipping OD before it (Blackstone in my case) or, probably even better, into an amp with some early breakup and saturation happening. Even with these combinations I can still back off my pick attack and get the sounds to clean up.

this pedal doesn't feel or sound boxy to me at all... super open and dynamic...
    it's so... Alive!

[​IMG]

12. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

For me, The Broadcast is ALL about clean-up with the guitar volume pot. I usually just set the Gain as high as I want to go & ride the volume knob.

And I also agree about stacking: I’ve been running a Muff, Honey Bee, Emerald Green Dist, and Hotcake in front of mine for variety. It takes them all terrifically. (Broadcast last in the dirt chain)

AceBSpankin, friend33, Tabor and 3 others like this.
  13. splatt

splatt david torn / splattercell Gold Supporting Member

well, if you want it to be smooth & warm, all that needs be done is to use the tone controls on the guitar; boom: smooth & warm, because the Broadcast has a beautiful, rich midrange..... def not hyper-spikey in its delivery of upper midrange.

14. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

So true IMO. The Bass contour knob helps to determine the character of the Broadcast.... allowing more lows & pumping the gain lets the pedal saturate more easily. Making judicious use of your guitar’s tone pot let’s you tailor the highs & curb the germanium clipping artifacts once you get into the Hot Zone. Agreed with @splatt that it’s all about the terrific mids & building around that voice.

AceBSpankin, friend33 and loftyrocket like this.
  15. Tabor

Tabor Member

good point! I just didn't want people assuming this was a warm pedal just because it has GE in it (most people looking at this thread probably wouldn't make that mistake anyway). The London MJM GE Fuzz I tried might be an example... that one was dark and smooth even with the tone rolled all the way up.

...but yeah the Broadcast is way more flexible than a "dark/warm" fuzz because it starts from a very open, dynamic and neutral place and you can always go darker and warmer from there like you said with your tone knob...

AceBSpankin and e-flat like this.
  16. alamere

alamere Supporting Member

I'm a recent convert. Loving the Broadcast dual that I bought in the past few months...
    This is it running at 18v:

17. feet

feet Supporting Member

this seems neat, but I'm already pretty cool with my pedals, and I have several flavors of actual preamps to record through (including a neve clone), not to mention console emulation in my daw.

but still... curious.

18. friend33

[​IMG]

Really digging this, sounds wonderful into my Gries 12 (PR). Out of the picture just downstream I ended up running an Atlas III. (Great match, subtly rounds the peaks off in just the right way, adds a little beef and warm presence.)

19. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

I just scored a used dual switch Broadcast. Freakin killer pedal. It can run anything from 9-24v. I really like it at 18v. As others have stated...awesome stacker. I have a Sidecar on the way. I'm sure they'll play very nicely together. I'll report back after it arrives.

20. friend33

I went for the Sidecar as well. Just got here the other day, so I haven’t had a chance to introduce them to each other...yet! ;)

e-flat likes this.