The Hudson Electronics' Fanzone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Haunting Mids, Nov 8, 2017.

1. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

What is different when you compare 9V versus 18 V? Haven’t tried the voltage experiment yet, but interested in doing so. :cool:

flantrax likes this.
  2. flantrax

flantrax Supporting Member

It's more of a feel thing, although the tone changes a bit as well. Lower voltages have a bit more sag & looseness in the low end. Kind of reminds me of a bias control on a fuzz. I didn't notice much between 9-12 but 18 & 24 are pretty noticable. For me 18v is the sweet spot in my rig. The only minor issue is running higher voltages eats up 2 jacks on my PP2+. Not a big deal with my set up...I had the extra spot.

friend33, Flatscan and e-flat like this.
  3. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Ordered a Broadcast from Andertons that was supposed to ship mid to late January. Got a shipping notification yesterday for a Tuesday Jan 2 delivery. Looking forward to giving this thing a go.

4. cuseman731

cuseman731 Supporting Member

Just snagged the last 24v Pink pre-order from Peach Guitars.

flantrax and e-flat like this.
  5. bxlxaxkxe

Well, they shipped the dual footswitch version instead of the single that I ordered. I ordered the single because 1. It looks better and 2. It looks better and I don't need the footswitch. But man I really don't want to send this all the way back to the UK. Poor me - I know.

Had a short time with it so far. Low gain mode is where its at for me. Nice and fat, articulate, saggy - very nice. The bass trim is very interactive with the gain. Seemingly simple pedal, but there's a lot to be explored here. Barely have a grasp on it. I love fuzzy ODs and overdrivey Fuzzes. This is a great one- I know that much!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  6. flantrax

There's 2 internal trim pots to fine tune the gain for both channels. You can set it up for 2 low gain channels. That's what I did so it's like 2 boosts instead of a boost/fuzz(OD).

friend33, e-flat and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  7. cuseman731

Not sure how long it will take to get mine but quick question for everyone with the two foot switch versions. Do you have any trouble balancing the bass trim with both channels if you are running one as a boost and the other with more gain? Seems a lot of people say that the bass trim and gain are very interactive.

flantrax likes this.
  8. flantrax

It's easy to balance the bass control with the both channel settings. It has a wide sweep and is easy to dial in...all the controls are for that matter. Very musical pedal(if that makes sense)

AceBSpankin and bxlxaxkxe like this.
  9. bxlxaxkxe

Agreed- I didn't find a bad setting with the bass.

flantrax likes this.
  10. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

This is the feature which makes the 2 switch Broadcast so great IMO. You can set the two channels as cool or as hot as you like. Finding the right balance makes the pedal such a joy to play.

11. bxlxaxkxe

Are they 2 different channels or does channel 2 just introduce more gain through the same signal path? In other words, if you set the trimmers to the same level of gain, will both channels sound the EXACT same?

flantrax likes this.
  12. flantrax

I don't really know enough about circuits to fully understand what's going on but They don't seem to be exactly the same. Even with both internal trimmers all the way down(lowest gain settings) CH2 has a bit more gain. Plus, it seems like internal trimmer #1 affects both channels where trimmer #2 only affects CH2. I don't know if that answers your question or is helpful.

bxlxaxkxe likes this.
  13. bxlxaxkxe

I don't know much either - but that does help. Will definitely experiment with these trimmers soon- think I would like to bring the gain down a bit on channel two.

ChampReverb and flantrax like this.
  14. flantrax

Here's how I set mine up.(I like 18v the best)

On CH1...set the Bass & Gain knobs where they sound best on that CH.(I have the Bass at 9:00/Gain at 12:00)

With bottom plate off...turn on CH2 and set the internal trimmers to get that CH sounding how you want with CH1's preferred Bass & Gain settings.

For me I have internal trimmer 1(left) set all the way down(CCW-lowest gain)...trimmer #2 is just a touch above the lowest gain setting. That gives me 2 boosts to push my other pedals into more saturation.

Once you have the gain relationships how you want them between the 2 channels you can adjust the Bass/Gain knobs and both CH should still work well throughout those controls ranges(at least it does in my rig) I haven't had to re-adjust either of the internal trimmers.

I hope this all makes sense.

15. bxlxaxkxe

Makes total sense and is a very simple, reasonable approach- I like it. Do you recall where those trimmers are set from the factory?

flantrax likes this.
  16. flantrax

I bought mine used so I have no idea what the factory trimmer settings are...sorry.

17. bxlxaxkxe

No worries. I've only tried it at 9v, by the way. Need to give 18v a go.

flantrax likes this.
  18. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

If your in the U S where are you guys ordering from?

19. e-flat

e-flat Supporting Member

From the UK, of course :D
    Seriously, though, I ordered both of the Broadcasts I've bought from stores in the UK: Peach Guitars and Manson Music. Not sure if either retailer has them in stock currently, but their prices were very good though you'll take a bit of a hit on the shipping fees.

20. cuseman731

Yeah, the Peach Guitars shipping fee was pretty steep :)