The Hudson Electronics' Fanzone

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Haunting Mids, Nov 8, 2017.

1. losrogers

losrogers Member

Count me in. I recently bought a Hudson Broadcast, Single Button and I love it!
    Right now I'm running ABY with the Broadcast driving a Deluxe Reverb, it's working out well.
    But not using the high-gain side too much yet; as I'm getting great fuzz out of the other amp.

Last weekend, I went direct to FOH with the Broadcast; no amp, no other dirt.
    Just a Cali76 and Belle Epoch Deluxe (and Radial Direct-Drive amp sim). So much clarity and detail.
    Now, I'm thinking: Hamstead Signature Analogue Tremolo to go with that Broadcast..

2. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Best deal and time frame is direct from Andertons. :cool:

flantrax and e-flat like this.
  3. godotzilla

godotzilla Member

There's a handful of US dealers listed on their website. That's how I found mine. I just kept checking their stock until they had a unit in their online inventory

https://hudsonelectronicsuk.com/stockists/

4. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member

5. friend33

friend33 Silver Supporting Member

Yes, makes sense and this is a good approach. Because the bass cut is an input control, there’s a good deal of interaction with the gain trim knob, so finding that balance is good. With this balance, to me, you are then also setting the range of cleanup to drive that you will get with your guitar volume knob. That setting is then kind of your “detente” setting, center of the range that you’ll be using.

I spent a good chunk of time yesterday exploring this, along with trying it at higher voltage. I wasn’t sure about my doubler cables identities, but I found an 18 V wall wart in the drawer. (And yes, if you need to go that route with this pedal, it is worth it. The broadcast is definitely wall-wart worthy. ;)) I found I do like it at 18v as well, seems to give up even more of all the goods at that voltage.

So just to clarify, if you open up the back and looking in, the trimmer on the left is for channel 1/low gain and the trimmer on the right for the high gain channel. (So, they are not underneath their respective physical pots, but more in order on the circuitboard.)

In answer to an earlier question, yes, the high gain channel provides a boost over a similar setting of the trimmer on the low gain if the level knobs are set the same on the pedal. (There is even a slight boost if the high gain level knob is set somewhat below the low gain level knob.)

On mine from the factory, the left/channel 1 trimmer was set for the CCW/lowest setting. I ended up raising it to maybe 15 to 25 percent of the range, gives me just the right amount of grit with my guitar volume knob fully up, and shades of that underneath, along with great clean up that is easily available.

The high gain trimmer was set maybe more close to about 65-75 percent of max. When you raise the trimmer all the way up, the last couple percent of the rotation introduces unwanted noise. Turning down slightly from there, you still have some hum, until you dial it down and don’t hear any noise anymore. I believe the factory setting was set slightly above that “no noise” cut point. I ended up with it about halfway from minimum to where it was originally set, so maybe about a third of the way of the range. This gives me two great rhythm channels, with the second being a way to punch through and raunch things up a bit (with vol knob shadings available) as well as being useful for low-gain leads. I can then use a higher gain pedal for heavier sounds. I am really liking the JDM Little Steamer a lot for this, it’s a harmonic percolator variant, probably the best that I have used. Perfect match for the broadcast.

Not sure which of these is a voltage doubler or current doubler. I guess it doesn’t matter as far as hurting the pedal, as it will only draw the current that is available. But the new cables that Voodoo has are coded differently. If anybody can tell me which is which, I’d appreciate it. (I’m a little afraid of the flames! :eek: ;))

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  6. ChampReverb

ChampReverb Silver Supporting Member

Maybe not the bangers.

Unless you enjoy grease-injected, cornmeal-fed, fried slugs ...in which case you can have mine.

I ordered a 9v dual footswitch model from Andertons right after Christmas because I have been a very good boy this year.

-bEn r.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2018
  7. e-flat

e-flat Member

I'll have to check my internal trimmers, but if memory serves me this is pretty close to what I settled on as well.... I dialed the low gain trim up a bit and the high gain trim down a bit. Being able to set the ratio of dirt between the two channels via the trim pots is such a useful feature.... then the external GAIN pot serves as a master dirt level, but keeps those ratios intact.

flantrax and friend33 like this.
  8. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

Thank you for mentioning the internal gain trimmers. Just took this pedal to the next level for me. Bringing the gain down on channel two has turned into an awesome channel for me.

flantrax likes this.
  9. bxlxaxkxe

bxlxaxkxe Supporting Member

And I should also mention that running this at 18v now (instead of 9v that I was using) is also a huge improvement. I can't get enough of this thing.

For anyone who hasn't done both of these things- try it for sure.

10. Kyle Ashley

Kyle Ashley Supporting Member

Ordered the dual footswitch version today. the wait begins...

e-flat and augur like this.
  11. fyler

fyler Member

i have had a dual Broadcast for a while, and have ended up with one side set as a completely clean boost (trimmer at the lowest setting) and the other side as a splatty fuzz (trimmer maxed).
    i found that i wasn't crazy about much in between. the clipping has a quality where it seems separate from the signal - like crackly static on top of a clean sound - that i didn't find useful.
    it rules as a clean boost slash fuzz, though.

friend33 and e-flat like this.
  12. e-flat

e-flat Member

What sort of amps are you running the Broadcast into?

I’ve found I love all the shades of the Broadcast’s clipping through both my AC30 & EF86/ Tweed homebrew amp (both with Alnico Blue style speakers), but I didn’t love the breakup with a squeaky clean Fender style circuit with the bright switch engaged. (I never play the amp set like this, just experimenting with sounds ;))

AceBSpankin likes this.
  13. IanJarrold

IanJarrold Member

I run mine into a Silverface Pro Reverb with the bright switch 'off' and it sounds phenomenal!!!

Touch sensitive ragged filth. :beer

AceBSpankin, friend33 and e-flat like this.
  14. fyler

fyler Member

Analog Outfitters Road amp into a 1X12" w/ a Cannabis Rex. it's similar to a louder, cleaner Fender Deluxe.

e-flat likes this.
  15. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

Anyone compare the 9V-24V original to the dual footswitch version at 9V-24V? The original says germ and silicon transistors. The dual only says germanium transistors. Can the differences be heard? I feel like I like the sound of the original a bit better, but hard to tell in videos because of other differences between videos. Having a second channel is a huge advantage, so curious about the sound differences if anyone has compared these two versions running at same voltages side-by-side? Thx!

16. e-flat

e-flat Member

All versions of the Broadcast that I’ve owned or seen inside pics of have had silicon in the first Gain stage, Germanium in the second stage.

Some of the earlier ones have a NOS OC71 transistor in the Ge position, but the more recent ones I’ve seen (like my dual switch 24V version and a 9V single channel version I owned) have a Russian NOS Ge transistor. I can’t comment on the difference in sound between the two Ge transistors yet... I have a 24V single switch version w/ OC71 inbound right now, so I might be able to comment in a couple of days.

I have compared the 9V to the 24V versions (both with the Russian Ge transistors) and posted my comments earlier in this thread. In a nutshell, 9V is a little grittier and breaks up earlier. Both have a very similar breakup character, but the 9V is looser, woolier. Keep in mind, though, that you have the option to run the 9V version at anywhere from 9-24V by choosing a different power supply, whereas the 24V version converts 9V to 24V internally and can’t be stepped back down by using a different power supply- so the 9V would offer max versatility if you have various power supply options available to you.

Hope that helps.

G&L guy, Tabor, infiniteposse and 2 others like this.
  17. shakeshakeshake

shakeshakeshake Member

FYI if you buy Hudson stuff, do it from overseas. I got the 24v Dual switch Broadcast for 212 shipped from the UK, I think most vendors in N. America charge like 300 for them!? Its a good pedal, but kind of overhyped. The pedal I had that did the 'overworked console fuzz' the best was the JHS Crayon, the Broadcast worked as very nice boost/preamp and light OD for me, kinda meh at the fuzzier stuff.

Tabor, ChampReverb and johnetone like this.
  18. RockAltVintBluesSoul

RockAltVintBluesSoul Supporting Member

It does. Thanks so much. I wonder why only the original pedal specs/marketing mentions the silicon.

I would be very interested in whether you hear a difference from the OC71 transistor version. Pls do post back on that if and when you might have time, and again, thanks so much for taking the time to respond so thoughtfully and informatively.

e-flat likes this.
  19. AceBSpankin

AceBSpankin Prince of Ales Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm in :banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Got a dual switch model new on Reverb Saturday!!
    I read here that e-flat likes his last in the dirt chain.
    Is that "the spot"?
    For everyone?
    I see Preamp in the script and naturally assumed Pre=First:aok
    Can't wait for this thing to show up!!
    Have had it compared to a Les Lius but better cause of EQ ability.
    And that sounds killer, I liked the LL but it was too brite for my Rig.
    I play thru 2>Mesa LSS's hope it works out for my Amps:beer

infiniteposse, friend33 and johnetone like this.
  20. johnetone

johnetone Supporting Member

Have you played a Sputnik into it at all? I would love to hear your experience!