The HX Effects is legit

guitarman3001

I think the noise issue that happened early on with the HX Effects has to do with the main inputs, not effects loops. Depending on the type of pedal (or amp preamp) in the loop, noise can be an issue. The effects loops themselves raise the noise floor a little bit. With clean stuff, you don’t really hear it because it’s still low. With high gain stuff, the noise floor gets elevated to the point you hear it as white noise. So if you’re running a high gain amp in the 4CM and put a gain pedal in front of it, that can be quite noisy. This is a white noise, hiss sort of noise, different from typical ground loop noise, which is more like 60Hz hum/buzz.
I don't run any dirt pedals in front of my HXFX. Just the HXFX and the amp. Wired in 4CM. The FX loop raises the noise floor so if there's anything with moderate to high gain in the HX's loop, it will pick up the added noise and amplify it.

I wonder why they don't add a noise gate as an effect. The GE300 Lite I just got has a noise gate, actually three of them, and they all work very well.

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I don't run any dirt pedals in front of my HXFX. Just the HXFX and the amp. Wired in 4CM. The FX loop raises the noise floor so if there's anything with moderate to high gain in the HX's loop, it will pick up the added noise and amplify it.

I wonder why they don't add a noise gate as an effect. The GE300 Lite I just got has a noise gate, actually three of them, and they all work very well.
There are two noise gate effects in the HX Effects - one is just called Noise Gate and the other is called Hard Gate. They’re under the Dynamics menu.

Pat6969

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve used the HXFX with multiple different amps, 4CM, high gain, zero noise, zero issues, other than the amp hiss. I use the HXFX noise gate to tame that, which is a great gate. I know the old ones had an issue because I had one, but the replacement was dead quiet. No design flaw with the HXFX.

Phillip_H

Confession time, the HXFX is gone. It’s the same story every damn time I try to go all digital. I start hearing ghosts, get option paralysis and basically stop playing and start tweaking. It really is a great unit but I just can’t vibe with it. Back to pedals with a loop switcher it is.
I’m determined not to do that this time. I know it’s not going to be as good as individual pedals, but it’s pretty freaking excellent for a $400 all in one pedalboard.

CarlGuitarist

I’m determined not to do that this time. I know it’s not going to be as good as individual pedals, but it’s pretty freaking excellent for a $400 all in one pedalboard.
I wholeheartedly agree. It’s NOT analog snobbery on my part, it’s just a question of workflow

guitarman3001

Still no response from support. Looks like I’m going to have to call today and ... sigh... speak to an actual human. :p
I just dropped mine off at UPS about an hour ago. Meantime, like I mentioned, keeping busy setting up a GE300 Lite to have in its place.

Confession time, the HXFX is gone. It’s the same story every damn time I try to go all digital. I start hearing ghosts, get option paralysis and basically stop playing and start tweaking. It really is a great unit but I just can’t vibe with it. Back to pedals with a loop switcher it is.
I feel your pain. It's my life story. In the time I spent all weekend messing with a new GE300 Lite, trying to configure it for live use, then trying out all of the effects, then a couple of amp models, then troubleshooting the horrible Windows app which is a piece of crap, I could probably have learned how to sweep pick like Yngwie, play fingerstyle like Chet Atkins, play Steve Vai's part at the end of Crossroads, and still had time left over to make a seven course meal with cornish hens and braised rack of lamb.

At the end of it all, I ended up with a total of 8 patches and one recording of Ain't Talkin 'bout Love.

I've been on a 30 year cycle of digital multi-fx to regular pedals, and back and forth at least 10 times. Funny thing is, I always end up regretting going back to digital and swear I'll stick to regular pedals from now on, but a couple of years go by and I decide to try digital stuff again. That's where I am right now. Let's see how long it lasts before I regret it and go back to pedals. I'm already frustrated with the Line 6 HXFX noise issue....

weedzzz

I’ve just started using HX effects. I got completely tired of chopping and changing different pedals. It’s not even that I’m tone chasing when I’m using indivisible pedals as I’m happy as long it sounds roughly what it supposed to, but it was more of me just getting bored of pedals and changing them.

So I decided to go with the HX affects because I wouldn’t get bored with all the options and sounds great to me.

Phillip_H

I wholeheartedly agree. It’s NOT analog snobbery on my part, it’s just a question of workflow
I have done the same thing with axe fx, helix, and kemper. Too many options, and I couldn’t keep myself from tweaking and eventually getting frustrated. They are all great units that sounded excellent, but when there are endless profiles and IRs to explore it just gets overwhelming.

For right now I’m going with the Iridium + HX Effects and so far it seems to strike the right balance of versatility and simplicity.

MartinC

I am now a few weeks in with HX Effects. I am still really appreciating the user interface. It simply keeps out of your way, allowing you to focus solely on creating tones, instead of navigating. Brilliant.

So creating tones is where I am. Yesterday was a bit frustrating on that front. I tried again with a range of OD's and just seemed to be unable to land on something I really liked. I was looking for a smoother low to mid OD kind of sound. If I was to give a reference point, it would be a typical Allen Hinds lead tone. Now ... I totally get it ... I am never going to sound like Allen Hinds ... his technique and touch are phenomenal and play a huge part in his tone. But it's the smoothness in his OD tone that I really want to get to ... smooth, warm, but still with note definition ... nothing remotely harsh, buzzy or thrashy. Seemingly the kind of tone that the Xotic Soul Driven pedal produces, when played by Allen Hinds:

I tried getting this with a few different models, and kept failing. In the end, I landed on the Stupor OD (a model of the Boss SD-1 ... something I never would have thought of using). I went pretty low on gain and tone, and the tried to change EQ with a 10 band graphic EQ. I got something that I liked, and then gave myself a break and just played with that for a while. But I still didn't get that smooth, singing tone I was after.

Any tips?

phil_m

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
Gold Supporting Member
I am now a few weeks in with HX Effects. I am still really appreciating the user interface. It simply keeps out of your way, allowing you to focus solely on creating tones, instead of navigating. Brilliant.

So creating tones is where I am. Yesterday was a bit frustrating on that front. I tried again with a range of OD's and just seemed to be unable to land on something I really liked. I was looking for a smoother low to mid OD kind of sound. If I was to give a reference point, it would be a typical Allen Hinds lead tone. Now ... I totally get it ... I am never going to sound like Allen Hinds ... his technique and touch are phenomenal and play a huge part in his tone. But it's the smoothness in his OD tone that I really want to get to ... smooth, warm, but still with note definition ... nothing remotely harsh, buzzy or thrashy. Seemingly the kind of tone that the Xotic Soul Driven pedal produces, when played by Allen Hinds:

I tried getting this with a few different models, and kept failing. In the end, I landed on the Stupor OD (a model of the Boss SD-1 ... something I never would have thought of using). I went pretty low on gain and tone, and the tried to change EQ with a 10 band graphic EQ. I got something that I liked, and then gave myself a break and just played with that for a while. But I still didn't get that smooth, singing tone I was after.

Any tips?
Have you tried the Zen Drive model (the Dhyana Drive)?

lspaulsp

Gold Supporting Member
Strange how the footswitches aren't centered. I guess they did it that way to align with the scribble strips.
Is that all you got.....................................................................................:hide2

guitarman3001

Any tips?
This. The Zendrive clone is excellent for the kind of tone I think you're going for.

MartinC

Any tips?
This. The Zendrive clone is excellent for the kind of tone I think you're going for.
Yes, that was one of the first models I tried ... I used to own a Zendrive ... pre-Lovepedal, and hand-made by Alf at Hermida.

Maybe I'll try again, but I didn't really get anywhere with the Dhyana ... it sounded too harsh, especially when playing multiple notes/chords. I got a smoother tone from the Stupor OD with the gain and tone dialled down. I really wasn't expecting either of those outcomes :dunno

Mincer

I sold my first HXFX. I was coming from the M9 and M13, which were clearly WYSIWYG pedals. The HX, with it's preset-based system of chains of effects was to radical of a change. Not like a successor to the M-series at all.

I am happy I gave it another chance. I had to learn a new way to work, and come to terms with effects that could be in the chain that you did not have direct access to. Now I use it alone in front of a clean amp, with both acoustic (an L6 Variax Acoustic) and electric, and I am happy. Even if the sounds I tend to use are the Legacy effects.

CarlGuitarist

Any tips?
Don’t discount the Timmy-model, bring the gain and the treble cut up and it’ll get pretty smoth and singing. You might also want to experiment with stacking.

MartinC

Don’t discount the Timmy-model, bring the gain and the treble cut up and it’ll get pretty smoth and singing. You might also want to experiment with stacking.
Yes ... I gave the Timmy a go ... and I'll try again ... but the first time around I couldn't get singing, smooth and still articulate.

Also tried the klon klone (Centaur?) with similar results ... just too ratty.

It could well be user error :oops:

MartinC

Yes, that was one of the first models I tried ... I used to own a Zendrive ... pre-Lovepedal, and hand-made by Alf at Hermida.

Maybe I'll try again, but I didn't really get anywhere with the Dhyana ... it sounded too harsh, especially when playing multiple notes/chords. I got a smoother tone from the Stupor OD with the gain and tone dialled down. I really wasn't expecting either of those outcomes :dunno
Just tried again with the Dhyana. It's just not doing it for me at all. I can't get rid of the harshness that I am hearing, and it just feels lifeless. I switched to the Stupor OD preset that I saved and it sounds and feels good ... chalk and cheese. But the opposite of what I would have expected. Maybe I shouldn't have preconceptions that a digital model of a humble SD-1 isn't going to be ... special enough :rolleyes:

MartinC

.... and speaking of preconceptions ... I had heard or read on my travels that a Rat pedal can do singing, smooth lead tones. Spurred on by my realisation above about the goodness to be found in the humble SD-1, tonight I resolved to give the Rat (Vermin Dist) a go ... despite another preconception that I am not going to like a distortion pedal that also gets fuzzy.

I dialled down the gain and level (defaults were both waaay too high) and then fairly quickly realised the Vermin felt good under my fingers, and got on famously with my Strat's neck pickup. A bit of tweaking of the Filter control and I got enough darkness into the bass end of things, but that still left me with too much treble and too much cocked wah. About 10 minutes tweaking with the 10 band eq and I had got to a good place. Then recorded a loop with the Vermin off, and started playing over the loop with the Vermin back on ... quickly realising that I could now tweak in context over the loop ... how bloody good is that from one unit!! (sorry ... that's probably an obvious and routine thing to do for most people here ... but new to me, and soooo easy to set up ... again, massive kudos to Line 6 for such a brilliant UI).

So ... in the space of 2 days I've discovered that I really get along with 2 distortion pedals that I never would have even thought to try. I still don't think I am close to Allen Hinds' smooth lead tones, but I am, nevertheless, loving the fact I've found some new tone tools that I literally would never have run into without owning HX Effects.

Trending Topics