The "I am not carrying around heavy amps nor cabs no more club", who is in ?

awp

One guitar + Line 6 M9 + ZT Lunchbox or Roland Cube 30

I play out once a week and I wouldn't want to lug much more than this.

I've had the heavy powerful amp (Peavey Special 130) and I don't miss it at all.

iambloomsurf

jojo said:
Sounds like a club full of *****s to me ! No thanks !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/11105304@N06/4974862544/
Hahahahaha. Now THAT'S asking for trouble....

I'll admit, I played in a "hardcore", underoath-esque band, and I just wasn't one of the cool kids because I was playing through a Fender deville 410 modded by Ben Fargen with the second gain stage beefed up. I added a TS9 in front, and not to toot my own horn, but it sounded good. Real good. And PLENTY loud. But, nonetheless, I was made fun of for playing a combo. Some people even asked when I was going to get a head. Long story short, big amps, 412s and full stacks are for looks *MOST OF THE TIME*. Now don't come after me saying, "I need a 412 for the venue I play!", or, "I can't hear myself over my drummer with anything less!" That's all well and good. I said moat of the time. And let's face it, half and full stacks do look pretty bad ass... But I'll be a combo guy my whole life. Granted, my combos are heavy as SH!T (Trem-O-Verb 212, the deville, etc.). So I guess I'm in the middle on this one. Just do what works for you.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
I used to be in until I bought a Mark V combo. I'll sacrafice carrying around a 65lb. combo because the tones available at any volume or power setting are just fantastic. This amp will probably replace my Carmen Ghia Head, Monza Combo, PRRI, MkII-17, and it did replace my LSC 1X12 combo. Just a great all around amp with tone for days.

Ding

When I was younger I played in a band for 12 years with big amps and then did a single act for 12 more carrying around not only large amps but a small upright accoustic piano as well. I didn't have to work out. I didn't have to jog. I didn't have to do aerobics. I ate what I wanted. I believe that is a big part of the reason why I am still in great shape now that I am somewhat retired and able to enjoy good health. Carry big amps and big tone while you still can!!!!

zachman

I wonder what the EX Wife thinks of his equipment?
RE: "Guitar" equipment-- I doubt she could possibly care any less, though I am sure she loves the BMW she's driving, as a result of my gear earning me a living.

Bikedude

Platinum Supporting Member
RE: "Guitar" equipment-- I doubt she could possibly care any less, though I am sure she loves the BMW she's driving, as a result of my gear earning me a living.

Kewl zackman, I was just havin some fun, and I've since learned that you are in fact divorced. Nice rig, and great time gigging from what I've seen. I'm envious. Rock on dude \m/

axpro

After hauling my last "big" amp, a Badcat Hotcat30 up and down a few flights of stairs, I decided on something smaller. My weber princeton high power doesn't do what i want though...

to meet ALL my needs, i now have a head/2x12 setup that i leave AT the jam space!!! now all i carry is a guitar, and i keep a spare at the jam space for my EXTRA LAZY days!

Ampegasaur

I have wayyyy more amps than Zach, but never play more than 2, or a stereo power amp at a time. I need the feel of some cabs, and need the power. That is what carts, dollies, and racks are for..Small combos will never work for what I play. I wish they could.

FFTT

I'm not carrying my amps around any more.

I'm cherishing their great tonal characteristics at the volumes they were meant to be heard at for recording and personal enjoyment.

I bought a house in the country so I don't have to listen to grumpy neighbors.

dougb415

My heavier and pricier tube amps now stay home in the studio. I just got a Fender Mustang III for gigging and me and my back are happy :)

memiller

I'm getting back into gigging and for one I'll be doing acoustic shows. For another, I'm going to use my Macbook and Guitar Rig. No amps. If I use my Steinberger, my entire rig will weigh less than ten pounds.

This is out of necessity. Living in an apartment changes your mind on things like volume. If I had my own house I'd build another 2x15 cab and get a Sunn Concert Lead. :D

Trending Topics