The I scored a great tube amp under $500 thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubebender

I see so many botique, high priced and insane looking amps here. This thread is for all the average-joes who find deals and rock with them.

What's your best tube amp score for $500 and under?

Id say mine is my Peavey Classic 50 4x10 for $300 on Craigslist.
:RoCkIn

birv2

Got my Pro Jr off ebay for around $225 a couple of years ago. Just swapped the stock speaker out for a Ragin Cajun, and the tubes for JJ's. However, it didn't sound bad stock, just better now.

Very loud amp and nice juicy tones. I'd like to have a vintage DR, but until then, this will do.

Bob

Wilbur

I recently bought a PV VK112 for $299 delivered. It was a scratch and dent. The box was beat to hell but the amp was perfect.

I did rebias it and I just put a Texas Heat in it. It's a great sounding amp! I also run it into a 4x12 and it works great for that application as well.

Most every amp I buy (every one now that I think about it) is under $500.

BigPapiFan

I think I did pretty well on these:

Fender DRRI - $499
Ampeg Reverberocket II - $399
Ampeg Gemini II - $499

Norjef

Yamaha/Soldano 100 combo $400
Yamaha/Soldano 100 head $300
Sundown 100 combo w/EV $300
2 different Egnater/Rocktron TOL 50 $500 (and 600)
With 2 kids in college, I LOVE and need these undervalued scores, why I need 'em ALL is none of your business (I tried that with my wife - didn't work)

Tubebender

Here's a tempting offer:
Just got the new Musicians friend cataloge, and on the inside back page, the tube Peavey Winsdor head is down to $249......
Very tempting.

Wilbur

The whole half stack is $399.

I recently grabbed the Windsor 4x12 (to use with the VK112) for $200 and free shipping. It's a decent cab. It is MDF and the speakers are front-loaded. I did the foam donut thing and now the cab sounds excellent!

rockon1

Silver Supporting Member
Too many to list IMO. Unfortunately thats why I started a "Im ready to sell a lot " thread! lol! Recently I purchased a Peavey Ultra Plus head for a rediculous 299$! 120/60 watt,three channels that above all sounds great to me. Bob

ripoffriffs

Silver Supporting Member
Someone on TGP sold me a Goldtone 2x12 GA-60RV for $475. I met him half-way so I didn't have to pay for shipping. I ended up selling the 2 Celestion VIN-30's that came with it so it ended up costing me under $400. I'll end up selling the cabinet that came with it, but I will order a new head cab be made for it so the overall cost will tip it over the $500 mark.

But damn, this Goldtone sounds fantastic. Like a modern Marshall done right at such a great price!

CharAznable

I got my JTM-60 for 300 bucks. That was like 7 years ago. The amp has a bad reputation, and it has a retarded design which promotes overheating, but it has been going strong for those 7 tears with no problems. Like every other Marshall, it comes alive when cranked, and it has a fantastic, chimy clean channel. Funnily enough, with a delay pedal set for slapback and a Gretsch, it kills for Rockabilly.

SixString821

I bought this '65 Magnatone 401 combo all beat up off ebay for $125. Ditched the rotting chipboard cab, kept the old Jensen 6" for later, and built a new cab with my dad.

A couple hundred bucks later (cherry wood for cabinet, finish materials, Jensen MOD75 speaker, handle, etc), and I have myself the sweetest sounding amp I have. Definitely my number 1!

Frankee

Wartime Consigliere
Found by my wife....being used in an antique-store display. NOS tubes.....close to mint. $80.00

Found in the back of a restaurant in Monterey Park, CA........FREE

KBN

Fender Musicmaster Bass amp (6AQ5 version) for free. I don't use it much, but man is it cool.

GenoBluzGtr

Platinum Supporting Member
DRRI for $450 about two years ago. Used Jensen Neo added $65 and a new set of JJs was just under $100 (not necessary, but the stock speaker didn't trip my trigger and the stock GTs were ringing like a telephone!). My main gigging amp since. It's seen over 100 gigs since and sounds like heaven!

squaremusic

Just scored a silverface 69 champ for $330.00-might have paid too much but it is dead mint and I'm very happy-great little recording amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Topics