The Ian Anderson Standard has arrived!

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by enharmonic, Sep 13, 2006.

1. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Many of you have checked out fellow forum member Ian Anderson's prototype in the Dealer's Emporium. If not, go take a look :AOK

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=158601

The guitar arrived in good form from FedEx (2-day from California). The packing job was great! Looks like the guitar was shipped from Scott Lentz guitars, so thanks goes to Scott Lentz as well for helping out with the shipment!

Simply put, the Ian Anderson Standard is a tremendous instrument. The build quality is top notch. The action is among the lowest I've seen for a guitar set up with 11's. As beautiful as the photo's look, they somehow don't do this guitar justice. It exudes quality and top notch craftsmanship!

Plugged in through my Harry Joyce Custom 50, it is a bold sounding instrument that is certainly in the realm of a Les Paul, though to my ears a bit more focused in the mids. Seth's aren't really my thing, but they sound the best I've ever heard them sound in this guitar.

When I crank up the HJ and grab a note, the guitar sings! The notes have a sweet "bloom" that sustains as well as any guitar I've ever owned or played. I'll likely switch the pickups out to Fralin P-92's, but there's not a thing to complain about with the Seth's in this guitar. It's strictly a matter of my personal preference.

The guitar balances very well, whether sitting or standing. The fretwork is exceptional, and the neck is extremely comfortable.

Alright...enough out of me. I'm gonna go play this lovely instrument. A HUGE thank you to Ian for working with me while I got the money straight on my end. Ian, you're a top notch guy building a remarkable instrument. I predict a solid backlog for you once the word starts getting out on your guitars. I knwo that I'll be doing my part to make sure that people know who you are :D

:dude

2. CDaughtry

CDaughtry Member

That is a gorgeous guitar. Congrats to you and Ian. Play the crap out of that thing!!!:dude

3. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Rob,

Glad it arrived AOK! It's a bit stressful putting a set mahogany neck guitar in the hands of FedEX for 2 days. Thanks to Scott for helping me pack and ship it.

I am glad you like it. Thanks for the leap of faith. I sincerely hope you are well rewarded by getting much enjoyment from it!

4. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Ian, stop giving them to FedEx. We ship almost exclusively with USPS express mail. It gets there in about 18 hours and with insurance for a piece that price its about $70 to almost anywhere in the country. We've shipped about 40 that way now. They've only been late once (by one day) and and not a scratch on any of them.

BTW, congratulations to both you and enharmonic. It looked like just a dynamite guitar and I hope the first of many more to come.

5. JPenn

JPenn Member

That is a great looking guitar!! It reminds me of my old Gretsch. I have always wanted an easier to play version of it.

[​IMG]

6. enharmonic

I'm not as good a photographer as Ian, but I thought I'd snap a pic of the guitar in its new habitat :)

[​IMG]

Flasy reflected off of the guitar onto the grill of my 2x12 :D

7. Scrutinizer

Scrutinizer Member

Congrats!

I love the styling of that guitar - can't wait to get one for myself. :AOK

8. enharmonic

Thanks!

I call this pic...Strange Bedfellows

[​IMG]

9. Mark C

Mark C Member

Very, very cool. I've been planning to build a tele-paul of my own for a while now. Got most of the wood, just need to learn a few more things before starting the carving.

10. gassyndrome

gassyndrome Member

What an awesome guitar. Its such a cool shape -part LP, part Tele and a good dose of its own thing. Congrats :AOK

11. NuSkoolTone

NuSkoolTone Member

Very Nice. The Piano Black is Stunning!

Reminds me of a cross between a JG and a wolfegang.

Cool Alternative Indeed.

12. m4tt

m4tt Member

I love that guitar. Great buy, no doubt.

13. Ian Anderson

Ian Anderson Supporting Member

Thanks for the tip Jim. I usually do USPS for everything but guitars. I'll give them a go next time. It was $105 coast to coast 2 day air insured with Fed Ex.

Nice looking rig Rob. I hear good things about those Harry Joyce amps. I bet that sounds great! Are those Fender telebuckers in that First Act?

That Gretsch has a real '70s vibe going on.

14. enharmonic

Ian,

Those are Fralin P-92's, or "Split Singles". They are noiseless P-90's. I'm probably going to put a Fralin "Twangbucker" in the neck of the Standard, and a P-92 in the bridge. Once I do that, I'll make a few clips and send them along so you can compare to the Seth's. :dude

I'm also thinking about TV-Trons...maybe. They're TV Jones' humbucker-sized Filtertron. Maybe a Twangbucker in the neck, and a TV-Tron bridge?

Hmmmmmm.

I can't say enough about the HJ without it coming out sounding like a lot of hype. It's the mother of all Hiwatt-style amps. Big, bold, aggressive...it's a monster. The pairing of your guitar and this amp produces a sound that will floor just about any tone junkie :)

They're most notably used by Rich Robinson. Check out Page & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek to get a load of what this amp can do. Ultimately, I will be running the HJ along with a Wizard Vintage Classic. It's going to be sick.

15. B Vance

B Vance Member

You're a lucky man...a very lucky man. I remember seeing Ian's guitar for the first time on here. What a beauty. Enjoy.

16. JPenn

JPenn Member

I checked the web for info one time, I think it's a 76. My father bought the guitar for me in 82, it was my first electric @ 11 years old.

17. Jim Soloway

Jim Soloway Supporting Member

Ian, feel free to give me a call if you want to hear about how we go about it. With USPS it's all about the size of the box and the amount of insurance.

18. Terry McInturff

Terry McInturff 40th Anniversary of guitar building! Gold Supporting Member

That is one heck of a cool guitar!!!!!!!!!! Congats to Ian and of course to enharmonic!
    Terry

19. enharmonic

Thanks Terry! And hey, how's this for a pair of beauties? :D

[​IMG]

20. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

That is one sweet Lestercaster.

:cool:

S.
    j