The "I'm done" guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fretnot, Apr 8, 2008.

1. fretnot

fretnot Gold Supporting Member

Which guitar, if any, did you pick up, play, and say, "I'm done...I've found it." Curious what they are, and how many say they have but are secretly still looking. ;)

BTW...worthless without pics!

2. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

I don't think I could ever find just one guitar I'd say that about, but the closest I've come has been the PRS 513M.

3. stratotonedude

stratotonedude Senior Member

4. supergenius365

supergenius365 Silver Supporting Member

I sold it! :crazyguy

I had a MIK Tradition MTQ which was absolutely sweet. Felt great. Played great. Sounded great. It was "the One". I got into wanting only USA made gear and sold it.

Now my AVRI '57 Strat (which I actually have had for almost forever) is the one I will always have. Great guitar.

Sorry no pics.

5. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

The one I most certainly will keep forever is a CS Strat Pro. That is one guitar that when I played it.........well it is perfect in every way. If I could only have one then it would be it. I would run into a burning building to save this one if I had to. So yes I'm done. But for fun I am doing a Tele build from scratch just because I always wanted to build a guitar for a long time. Although, I have no plan of it ever being a replacement for my #1.
    Best Regards!

6. the_Chris

the_Chris It's All Been Done Before Gold Supporting Member

My '96 PRS McCarty. It is the best guitar I have ever owned hands down. It just resonates and is voiced better than anything I could have ever expected. Now my problem is finding another one like it!

7. jazzrat

jazzrat Member

Believe it or not....It's a Hwy 1 Texas Telecaster. 12" radius, weighs about 6-1/2 pounds. Crazy low action and unreal tone.
    I added a Glendale bridge and saddles and a '52 black pickguard just to put it over the top as well as polishing out the body.
    I've had lots 'o Teles....It just don't get no better!
    I don't use the word keeper much but I'm done for teles.
    This one stays.
    [​IMG]

8. yakyak

yakyak Supporting Member

Bob, you aren't just blowing smoke are you? Just kidding. I see whey you took offense to my Fender CS comment in another thread.
    I only have one guitar that I have had over 30 yrs. It is a Gibson LP Standard Norlin era. Is it a great guitar? No. I have just had it so long that I can't bring myself to get rid of it.
    Actually my most beloved guitars were my late '80's model Fender MIJ Strats and Teles. I stupidly got rid of most of them thinking that I should have American models.

9. ?&!

?&! Member

The first one was my '72 LP Custom Black Beauty, affectionately nicknamed "The Mayor", because it ruled Portland with an iron fist. It was a totally beat-up mongrel that I paid WAAAAAAY too much for. I fell in love with it instantaneously, and it smoked any other guitar I've ever come across, in both sound and playability. It had a life of it's own, like it was friggin' possessed or something. It just sounded so gooooooooooooooooood. I'm gonna cry just thinking about it.

Then one day, the magic was gone. I showed up to rehearsal, plugged it in, and it sounded like a wet fart. Actually, it didn't sound that bad, but it lost whatever magic it had. My bandmates noticed immediately. At first I thought it was my amp, but my backup '72 Goldtop sounded great through it. I took it to 4 different well respected luthiers and put $1400 into trying to make it right again, to no avail. I eventually sold it, because looking at it on the wall just made me yearn for the way things used to be. Seriously, I have a tear in my eye right now...

I found my '61 reissue Orville by Gibson SG a few years ago, and everything is right with the world. It sounds incredible and it plays like butter. I'm definitely not looking for a new #1 anymore. That being said, it's not as good as "The Mayor". I'm scarred by it's memory, and I don't think I have the strength to love anything that much ever again, for fear of another broken heart...

10. Birddog

Birddog Member

My 2007 Standard Les Paul in Desert Burst. I've gotten a Classic Antique since then, which is also very rockin, but I love this Standard. A personal dream come true for me and, though it didn't have the figured top that some of it's cousins had, the sound from this particular guitar blew me away and continues to blow me away. It moved right up to the #1 slot almost immediately.

[​IMG]

11. Joe Boy

Joe Boy Member

Tone over looks any day Bird. I have to agree on the standards. Both of my Pauls are great. But I'll always keep looking, thats just the way it is.

Right now I have on loan an EJ, nice but way different. After playing it and then picking up my 58, I'm begining to think I can't play Fenders anymore.

12. Dancing Frog

Dancing Frog Member

I'd call it my "I'm done for now" guitar. I'll never be done until I'm dead. Luckily, it sounds as good as it looks.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. frmorales52

frmorales52 Member

I think of guitars like I think of motorcycles. When someone asks what kind of bike I ride, I answer: "What kind of ride is it?"

I've got a '74 Norton Commando, a '95 Ducati 916, a 2004 KTM 450EXC, a 2005 BMW R1200GS... Different horses for different courses.

That being said, once I got the 916, the sportbike slot was filled, thank you.

In that vein:

My Last "strat" (Callaham "S")

[​IMG]

My Last solidbody 'Bucker guitar (1994 McCarty)

[​IMG]

I may need a good tele and a hollowbody in the future.

Frank

14. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

My Motorave BelAire

[​IMG]

If I had to pick 1 guitar to play for the rest of my life, this would be it.

15. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

In addition to my Standard, I've only played one guitar that made me think, "If I bought this, I'd be done with guitars." It was a 1981 Les Paul Custom. Heavy as all hell, but man what a tone machine.

16. gregory49

gregory49 Member

Namm 07 Heavy Relic 62 Strat in 3TSB. " They can take the girls , they can take the booze, but they can't take my guitar!!"

17. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I worked for three years solid to buy this guitar with my own money right before my 14th birthday, Ive had it 8 years this summer. I played about thirty of these in Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, and finally Birmingham (it is a les paul classic plus), and this was the last one I played. One chord unplugged on it, and I knew. Since then, I have changed almost everything on it to make it into the killer les paul it was born to be. It currently has: Tonepros tuners, Duncan Antiquities, got rid of the metal plate and filed down the control cavity and put in RS guitarworks super pots, jensen pfo caps, a metal washer in the place of the switch ring, metal output jack plate, bone nut, graphtec saddles, and a lightweight aluminum tailpiece. The tone on this guitar is fabulous. It is the most versatile vintage style guitar I have ever played, and it always sounds killer. I still buy and look at other electric guitars, but none of them get 1/5 of the play time that my les paul does.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. IIIBOOMERIII

IIIBOOMERIII Member

[​IMG]
    '91 PRS CE24

Probably the ugliest PRS I own but without a doubt plays the BEST!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Mark C

Mark C Member

I like so many styles and tones, that it would be hard to nail it all on one guitar. However, I'm sure I could do fine with something like a PRS swamp ash special as a single guitar, or build a custom guitar. Since I can have more than one, I just get guitars that do their thing really well and switch amongst them.

20. playon

playon Supporting Member

I could easily get by with only these two guitars... the Tele is a hybrid, 1965 neck with an aftermarket body, I put in a real early 50s Fender bridge pickup. I sold my real '51 blackguard after I found this guitar, it sounded better! Best one I've ever owned (and I've owned a lot of Telecasters). it almost doesn't matter what the pickups are, it just sounds great. The second guitar, the Johnny A, I've had for about 3 years, I put two early 60s patent # pickups in it that are identical to late PAFs... the Gibson can do everything that the Tele can't (& visa versa). I still like messing around and trying other guitars but these two are it for me.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]