THE In-Car/On-Bike Race Video Thread!

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Phletch, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Phletch

Phletch Member

Post your favorites - practice, qualifying, race footage, as long as it's on a race track.

Here's a few of my favs to get things started.

Jim Pace in a small-block Chevy-powered McLaren M6 Can-Am car at Elkart Lake. 190mph on the front straight.

Same driver in a Shelby GT-350 at Sebring. She's a bumpy old bitch, and you can see him really having to work to keep it pointed in the right direction.

Patrick Depailler in a Cosworth-powered Tyrell. Big cajones to drive these things at the limit - no traction control or paddle shift, and the cars actually sounded great. Yes, the cars are faster now, but F1 today is boring in comparison, imo.

Eric Rowland likes this.
  2. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Supporting Member

The famous in-car...Derek Bell Porsche 956 Circuit de la Sarthe (Mulsanne Straight no chicanes)

LeMans 2015 NIGHT Porsche 919 Hybrid

Ayrton Senna in car Monte Carlo 1990

Phletch likes this.
  3. Phletch

Phletch Member

Ha, good call! The Nurburgring is pretty good, too. A friend of mine went to Germany around 1986 or thereabouts and brought back two of those "In-Car 956" on VHS - one for him, one for me. I've still got it. The whole thing is great!

For me, the 80s were the Golden Era of motorsport (kind of the opposite of music) with the likes of the Euro Group C, North American IMSA GTP, the turbo F1 cars, even NASCAR. It was the last gasp of the wild west, balls-to-the-wall mindset "let's just build 'em to see how fast they'll go".

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Eric Rowland likes this.
  4. rizla

rizla Member

not a car, obviously:rolleyes: but in the same theme, I guess.

Eric Rowland and Phletch like this.
  5. Phletch

Phletch Member

I remember back in the 90s when Speedvision in the US was covering the TT. I was racing at the time and my racing mates and I would watch and marvel at Joey Dunlop and his gang. Enormous balls required to do that. That sh!t's crazy!