• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

the incomparable mahavishnu orchestra

cubistguitar

I really love his Hummingbird thru pickup tones the best(extrapolation, In a Silent Way) but this period is wow as well, really awesome tones with this setup on this night, thanks for posting, he was a god around this time, I lose interest in Shakti and some of his other ventures, but Inner Mounting Flame and the years leading up to it are amazing.

Hecube

By the way, those who watched the video will know why I wrote that.

Huge fan of Mc. here

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
I really love his Hummingbird thru pickup tones the best(extrapolation, In a Silent Way) but this period is wow as well, really awesome tones with this setup on this night, thanks for posting, he was a god around this time, I lose interest in Shakti and some of his other ventures, but Inner Mounting Flame and the years leading up to it are amazing.
There are some pictures of him in one of the Lifetime reissue CD's and he's playing a Mustang. I'm thinking that much of his Miles stuff was cut with the Mustang. I don't think he could have hung with the volume with the Hummingbird.
(I'm flashing back to the two Hummingbirds I let go. Oh, the agony!)

cubistguitar

There are some pictures of him in one of the Lifetime reissue CD's and he's playing a Mustang. I'm thinking that much of his Miles stuff was cut with the Mustang. I don't think he could have hung with the volume with the Hummingbird.
(I'm flashing back to the two Hummingbirds I let go. Oh, the agony!)
I could be crazy and have remembered this wrong, but Silent way and Extrapolation are the acoustic guitar and pickup,

I love the mustang sounds, jack johnson is just tingling with impossible mustang, the hummingbird is impossible in these new crazy volume situations, you are correct, but he is so crazy on that box, love the gibson acoustic sounds they are are at once more precise and cleaner sounding, but just massive and crazy when it breaks up and he kinda strums a little more on that thing, but that french show the op posted is really smashing,

i have been looking at youttube this evening after seeing this here and there is a bevy of 1972 shows, all magnificent

guitarjazz

Gold Supporting Member
A friend played in his band and kindly honored my geeky request for an autograph: I now have the master's John Hancock, right-handed and left-handed!

trishoot

I saw this version live in 1973. It is still the most powerful, most unique and probably the loudest concert I have been to. Seems like it was the perfect storm of talent, creativity and timing. Too short lived though. This would be a reunion that would be at the absolute top of my wish list!

Neill

This would be a reunion that would be at the absolute top of my wish list!
i'm not holding my breath but i've been hoping for this for time. not sure they could ever approach the synergy, and fire they had first time out though.

CharAznable

Silver Supporting Member
Neill said:
i'm not holding my breath but i've been hoping for this for time. not sure they could ever approach the synergy, and fire they had first time out though.
I'd be happy enough if they can get together onstage without killing each other.

AA864

Awesome footage. Thanks. Of all the shows I saw in the 70s, I never saw Mahavishnu. I don't think I discovered them until after their breakup.

I did see JM several times (Shakti, Electric, w/ DiMeola) and recently last year in Boulder. At close to age 70, he's still vibrant and quite relevant IMO.

Jaimoe

Speechless.

On a whole different level than anything today.

No Protools here.

One can only hope and dream that McLaughlin will make the magic happen just one more time while they are all still alive.

Trending Topics