The insane 3 month (and counting) battle to get my G&L fixed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 29, 2020.

1. james...

james... Supporting Member

Hopefully this will serve as a cautionary tale for anyone thinking of ordering a G&L and especially one from Upfront Guitars as the dealer.

So, a few months ago I took possession of a brand new G&L Asat I speced and ordered through Upfront Guitars. The guitar arrived in great shape, but I immediately thought the neck seemed bigger than what I ordered. I have played a few G&L's and this one just seemed off. I called Upfront Guitars and asked if they could double check that they got the specs right. They checked the order and said "Yeah. That's the one we ordered." I assumed I must be crazy and left them alone.

Around early April I decided I needed to measure the neck with calipers and reference it against some measurements on the G&L page, because I couldn't shake the feeling it was incorrect. Sure enough, the neck was off. Not just a little off. A good margin off from where it should be. More than G&L stated it could reasonably be.

I emailed Upfront Guitars in early April with screenshots of the neck and caliper readings. They replied and said that was strange and they would look into it. I did not hear back from Upfront for a very long time.

Flash forward April 18. I got tired of waiting to hear from Upfront Guitars. I called G&L themselves, who told me to email them with the info.

It took 10 days to get an email to go through to G&L. None of the email accounts they provided were working. FINALLY on April 28th, I got an email through to G&L.

G&L did not respond for weeks. On May 18th, I finally pestered them with emails until someone from G&L answered my email. They told me that I could send the guitar to G&L and they would look at it. I packed it up, and off it went.

Flash forward to May 25th, Upfront guitars decides they can email me again and ask if I still had issues. "Well, yes! But there's nothing you can do to help me now, because I just sent the guitar away."

And then we flash forward again to June 19th, when I emailed G&L to ask if they have any updates on receiving the guitar or looking at it for me.

Trust me when I say i'm SHOCKED (sarcasm) that they still haven't replied or gotten back to me at all.

Contrast this all with my experience with EBMM who answered the phone immediately last month when i needed a trem replaced and sent me one within 3 days.

I can't say I've ever had a CS experience this bad.

imastratoholic likes this.
  2. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

You are dealing with a pandemic. :idea I can’t say I’ve ever seen one this bad.

I understand the frustration, but in perspective, the urgency to criticize not so much. I hope and trust G&L will take care of it.

slider, TubeStack, Sneaks and 31 others like this.
  3. james...

I called Tom Anderson last week. Talked to me for 20 mins. Answered the phone immediately.
    EBMM. Same Thing.
    Called Mesa Boogie Hollywood last month. Talked to me for an hour.

What I've experienced with these two companies is night and day difference.

4. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

April 18 you called G&L and spoke to someone. Have you called them since?

Jon C likes this.
  5. Declassified

Declassified Member

yah....not gonna put this on the vendors

there is a world wide pandemic going on.

I have customers waiting on freezers they purchased in march...they won't come in until august

this isn't business as usual. Attitudes and expectations need to be tempered.

TubeStack, Sneaks, guitrr and 21 others like this.
  6. Declassified

Declassified Member

why are you calling these places so much?

I have never had to call any company ever...for anything

7. Jon C

yes, I understand... it’s frustrating.

And I repeat my observation... :YinYang

Your expectations and sense of place in the hierarchy may be inflated during this pandemic. :dunno

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020
  8. sunking101

sunking101 Member

:confused
    Lucky you!

prs1999 and Cruciform like this.
  9. ThePunisher

ThePunisher Member

Man thanks for the warning. I'll stay away from Upfront Guitars and G&L during the next worldwide health emergency when hundreds of thousands of people died, millions lost their jobs and had to live as hermits.

madloff, TubeStack, jimk4003 and 44 others like this.
  10. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I've bought two guitars, a hardcase and a pedal during lockdown. All were shipped in a timely manner with update emails etc. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least an email confirming receipt of the OP's guitar and a rough indication of how long it will take to do the work. All of these places are manning their websites and email addresses.

11. Jon C

IMO that reasonable expectation is completely unrelated to the apparent need some have to run to the ‘net to slag people who are trying to survive personally and in business, in a pandemic.

Different things. :YinYang

Sneaks and JPIndustrie like this.
  12. agquake

agquake Member

Great drama! If all that was said is true and the businesses are open and operating, there is no excuse for the lack of courtesy and customer service that the OP has been experiencing.

13. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

I thought this was ringing some bells. Some background:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/30365881/

First this is a guitar bought in 2019 and several months passed before the poster discovered the problem and reached out to the dealer. Second this is a spec'd 41.3 mm neck that came in at 42 mm. The G&L spec is +0.381 mm. So the guitar neck is 0.3mm above the G&L spec. All in the referenced thread but summarized in case you don't want to read.

And I still say if calling worked once please try calling again.

TubeStack, magnus02, Mcrt and 16 others like this.
  14. sunking101

sunking101 Member

Does it weigh over 8lbs though? Asking for a friend.

15. TTHX

TTHX Member

I'm sorry you're having issues, OP.

I know businesses are stressed right now, but I wouldn't be happy either if I sent a guitar and didn't receive any kind of communication after a month. Like not even just a quick email to confirm that they received it?

Jerry G and sunking101 like this.
  16. dave12

dave12 Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar customer service experience with an appliance manufacturer in that it took them around 8 weeks from start of contacting them to resolve a warranty issue, however, they actually tried really hard to resolve it every time I got ahold of them....AND importantly, they resolved the issue fully to my satisfaction (and really beyond that).

Turns out they had to trim their workforce of customer service reps due to issues from the pandemic - they even shut down their call center and moved it to solely email customer service. At the end of the day, they got it done and that's what matters.

There's a limit to what you can expect in these times. I hope G&L resolves your issue to meet your expectations, however, I'd cut them some slack on timeliness in this crazy time. If they're rude, callous, don't care, or poor in their service, that's one thing, but I don't feel like they should be held to a standard of having to pick up your call every time and talk for at least 20 mins.

Sneaks, pentatonicwanker, djw and 2 others like this.
  17. BlueRiff

BlueRiff Member

Bigger how? depth? width? both? what exactly is the problem?

Mr Fingers and will132 like this.
  18. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

talked to Mesa customer service on the phone for an hour? And two other companies customer service for 20 min each? Are you really that board and lonely during the pandemic?

Your frustration is totally understandable. But restrictions vary drastically in different countries, states, and even cities. Also, business owners and employees might have to make different decisions based on personal and family medical conditions. I’d be very slow to judge a business based on support received in the past few months, and even slower to try and publicly shame them.

TubeStack, matw, rspencer and 10 others like this.
  19. Patrick B

Patrick B Member

It would be interesting to hear both sides of the story. You have exact days for everything that happened except when you received the guitar. That part is just “a few months ago”, but everything else has an exact date. When you wait months after getting a product, companies are less inclined to provide speedy service than when you report a problem immediately. It looks too much like buyers remorse.

20. james...

Read my OP.
    I did report the problem immediately.

BTW, I got an email from G&L around an hour after I made this thread. What are the odds?

Last edited: Jun 29, 2020