The insane 3 month (and counting) battle to get my G&L fixed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM.

1. sunking101

sunking101 Member

I said that they can email. I said nothing about repairing the guitar and shipping it back to him in record time. Take three months, fine, just let the customer know what's happening. Especially when you have his instrument.

stratohiker likes this.
  2. John Quinn

John Quinn Member

I'm amazed at the people hear bashing @James for wanting the guitar he ordered. Yes he took it much slower than perhaps many of us would have.
    But so what? I do believe the G&L still carries a 10 year Warranty that includes their gear being free from defects - and the neck while working is
    defective from a specification point of view. And I was happy to read the issue is resolved.

3. soulman969

soulman969 Member

This is a good point.

When they get it right G&L can hit it out of the park as far as quality and features for the price and their import series Tributes are some of best bang for the buck you'll find. They can top many US made models and other imports for half the price.

G&L's major issues seem to come only when they don't get it right the first time and how some of those issues that I'm acutely aware of have been handled ergo my shout out to Dave McClaren who I feel needs to get on top of this and fix it and they seemed to have improved more recently.

They are a very small operation with about 30 employees according to what I've been told. Fender may sell more instruments in a week by dollar volume than G&L does in a year. They are almost a custom shop as it relates to US builds so IMHO in all likelihood they have some people pulling double duty in both orders, production, customer service, and warranty related issues. If the pandemic has them working with far less people as expected and to be fair everything will slow down in the process.

Despite some issues though I would not hesitate to buy another G&L product myself or recommend them to others as I have done many times. Their product is that good. And as for Upfront who I consider to be a very good dealer here is their policy regarding trades and consignment. I purchased my L2500 from them and was very pleased with their service.

https://www.upfrontguitars.com/customtrades.htm

4. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I didn't see anyone bashing him. Just telling him to be patient. I wouldn't be happy about it either, but I wouldn't expect business as usual on getting anything fixed these days either.

aynirar27 and GeorgeNada like this.
  5. Matt Jones

Matt Jones Member

I thought this sounded familiar. There was another thread on this in April that explained how much the measurement at the nut was off compared to the original order. If I remember correctly it was .7mm. Either way, hope you get it worked out.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  6. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Glad it’s resolved - TGP has devolved into too much crap slinging. It’s a shame. Just the internet I guess

7. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

Here is my 2 cents on G&L and Upfront Guitars:

I've owned about 6 G&L's over the past 15 years, and still have 3 of them. I love their guitars, obviously. During this time period I have had to contact them a few times, with relatively minor issues. In my experience they have never replied to emails, even pre-Covid. However, a phone call always yielded good results.

Regarding Upfront Guitars - I actually custom ordered one of my G&L's from them, about 5 years ago. I got the impression at the time that they were basically a 2 man operation. My experience with them back then was great - fast response to my questions, etc, and no issues at all.

8. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

It took me 2 months to get a 1/2" hole drilled in a granite counter top in the Hudson Valley. They had closed during the shutdown and were gradually getting back to work.

No complaints here.

9. Kizanski

Kizanski Supporting Member

Now if only we needed a 1/2" hole drilled into the top of his G&L we'd be in business!

DaveNJ, chunky48, athemoros and 4 others like this.
  10. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Glad it's resolved, IIRC from the previous thread; you got this guitar and it took you a while to recognize there was a issue?

Yeah, Pandemic, it's thrown a serious wrench in a lot of operations and those that weren't good at communications via email or whatever don't necessarily get better as a result. Confirm, yep, wrong neck, swap and send it back; but you're in a queue of how many people also looking for help while G&L probably has only a few people employed at this point (let alone actively working on-site). Just a guess.

I've parked all my projects for the time being, I can't get a hold of anyone so I'm not even bothering!

11. Doug's Tubes

Doug's Tubes Gold Supporting Member

That I would have done myself...

I didn't want to risk cracking the counter. That's the last time I redo a kitchen and don't install that separate soap dispenser.......

WornFrets likes this.
  12. gunslinger

gunslinger Member

13. james...

james... Supporting Member

I immediately noticed the problem, but the dealer assured me they got it right. It took me sending them a bunch of pics with measurements and proof to get them to admit it was off, and then they ignored me for over a month.

FWIW the guitar was great, otherwise. I just barely played it for the short time I had it because it wasn't fun to play on.

Drew816 likes this.
  14. LaXu

LaXu Member

I would assume they would have at least one fulltime customer service person. Yes, answering to email can take whole the day.

15. TomDev

TomDev Member

I would rate G&L among the best I've encountered in terms of customer service. Granted, this was a while ago but my experience was excellent. I would definitely factor the pandemic into any problems.

16. Drew816

Drew816 Member

Gotcha, I knew there was some "delay" here I couldn't remember where in the process.

You spend your monies, order custom and it shows up wrong it is irksome as Hell; don't I know it!

Glad this moving forward!

17. aynirar27

aynirar27 Notable Member Gold Supporting Member

Just put down some painters tape and hold your breath.
    a new bit helps too.

that is some nerve wracking s**t though

18. dave12

dave12 No commericals! No mercy! Gold Supporting Member

I don't think many here are making him out to be the bad guy. I think maybe some chiding over impatience w/a company likely dealing with the pandemic and pretty unnecessarily dramatic OP (look at the thread title...."insane?")

Still hasn't answer the question about whether this thread indeed sparked the response from G&L. Just seems really self-righteous and I don't think people respond well to that.

webs and GeorgeNada like this.
  19. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

The guitar neck width is within 0.3mm of spec. Being in the USA, I had to see how this equated to our system. This is 0.011811023622 of an inch. 1/100th of an inch! I think you're friggin' nuts! I pity anyone that has had to deal with you! Note to self: never buy., sell, or trade with james...!

therhodeo, W88, jblake and 5 others like this.
  20. CharlieNC

CharlieNC Supporting Member

Man there are some people who get really personal on here. It’s weird.

Figman Freud and AdamWrightBass like this.