The insane 3 month (and counting) battle to get my G&L fixed

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by james..., Jun 29, 2020 at 4:46 PM.

1. dave12

dave12 Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, lol, took one post after mine to discount what I said.

2. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

I hope you weren't surprised; I would have taken the wait for granite. :eek:

rspencer and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

I don't think you were wrong to bring it up. I think the thread title created the drama. "Insane" "battle"... might be somewhat overstated. But who am I to say? Maybe you really were locked down in a foxhole somewhere, trying to shoot your way out. :D

Not wrong to bring it up though. I would have done the same if I bought a custom order guitar and the specs were wrong. But in "these" circumstances, I probably would have done it more in a "has anybody heard from G&L lately, or know if they are shut down, or what capacity they are operating at? What departments are open? Anything?"

Don't know the dealer, but this is a company of long standing. There will probably be an all time record number of business BK filings by the end of this year, as more and more companies go down in the wake of this crap we're living in. And if this was a really small shop/boutique maker type company, i would be concerned. But i'd bet you're taken care of soon, by a company like G&L, as they get more working and more caught up.

4. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

We have one, and the damn thing sucks! You have to pull up so hard on it to get the top off to fill it, and after three years it quit working! Back to the soap under the sink!

5. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

How would you react if you sold a guitar stating the neck was 41mm and the buyer wanted out because it was 1/100th of an inch (0.3mm) larger? Hell, it might have ‘grown’ that much with a change in environment. But to state that he just can't play it and it sits in the case is just ludicrous. If John Mayer, Joe B., Pete Thorn, or the likes made a statement like that, he'd be raked over the coals!

TubeStack, CJReaper, W88 and 6 others like this.
  6. DreamTheaterRules

Doug, haven't you heard? The new "PowerSteam2020 Covid Edition" hand steam cleaner/pressure washer just came out and is all the rage. This thing leaves your hands so clean that it even says right on the box "safe for nose pickers." That's not why I bought it. Necessarily. But I guess they thought it was important to get that point across in this "don't touch your face" age we're living in.

But boy, you talk about something that actually works as advertised. Last night it was over 90 degrees, and I mowed the lawn, trimmed, ran the weed eater, then carried bags of mulch and spread them all. When I came in the house afterwards, One 10 second blast of the PS2020CE, and I was so clean that the only thing left to wash in the shower was my feet. And that's just because I couldn't get them in the kitchen sink!

My wife did tell me to stop getting naked in the kitchen though.

Fantastic cook likes this.
  7. dave12

dave12 Gold Supporting Member

I think there's some debate over whether it's a 1mm or 0.3mm difference, OP says it's a 1mm difference to spec. In a separate thread on this topic, Ron Thorn seemed to indicate it was enough variance for someone to look at b/c over the length of the neck it makes a big enough difference.

I'm really not here to debate that though - I don't make custom guitars for a living for ppl to order. At the end of the day I don't think the personal attacks help generally with the discussion or the forum culture to suggest that someone's QC drama is worth none of us dealing with them on the Emporium.

8. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

Can you get that at Amazon?!

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  9. sitedrifter

sitedrifter Gold Supporting Member

OP I feel what you are going through. I have been dealing with Fender since January and they are pretty much out to lunch.

10. icr

icr Member

This is the worst Covid Shock ever, many businesses are closed and people are out of work. Have you heard?

GeorgeNada likes this.
  11. EasTXan

EasTXan Member

We're seriously talking about 0.7mm? I'm still scratching my head about how someone shipped a guitar during a pandemic for 0.7mm variation from spec (hoping insurance would have to pay when it was damaged or lost perhaps?).

TubeStack and woof* like this.
  12. Declassified

Declassified Member

It’s quite frankly ridiculous, it’s a case of buyers remorse. There’s no way the nut issue is real

jblake, RhytmEarl, woof* and 2 others like this.
  13. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

Just in case anyone is curious about the numbers being thrown around, here’s what I gathered spending way too much time in these threads....The OPs original claim was that it was 1mm off. The actual situation seems to be that it was spec’d at 41.3mm but arrived at 42mm so .7mm off spec. Apparently G&Ls acceptable tolerance is 0.38mm, so if it arrived at 41.67mm it would be acceptable (in their eyes) but 41.69 would warrant action on their part. So it’s 0.7mm off spec and 0.3mm over the acceptable tolerance.

14. GeorgeNada

GeorgeNada Member

Well if we see a CS G&L pop up on reverb or the emporium in a few weeks with the description “It’s like new, in fact I Just got it back from the G&L Custom Shop where it got a brand new neck and professional setup” we’ll know the full backstory.

Declassified likes this.
  15. DreamTheaterRules

Of course. The Beast has everything. If your wife doesn't mind you getting naked in the kitchen, and especially if she doesn't mind you putting your feet in the sink, it's a no brainer.

Pro Tip: Cover your eyes! (Edit: and... well, anything else you don't want getting steam blasted, if you know what I'm sayin').

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 5:51 PM
  16. skydog

skydog Supporting Member

The last time I put my feet in the sink, she turned on the garbage disposal!

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  17. RockDebris

RockDebris Member

I'm dying to find out if, after the guitar is returned with .4-.7 mm smaller neck, if the guitar gets played all the time. It's hard to imagine the difference between enjoying a guitar or letting it collect dust is such a small difference. If you buy a custom build though, you should get it within tolerance of the spec, no doubt, but at the same time, you should not take receipt of the guitar and hold it over 90 days before finally getting serious about .7 mm. At the end of the day though, G&L is a great company that builds great guitars and is going to do right by nearly anyone with a legit problem.

I love how a few people come forward to tell their story of some nebulous G&L drama though. "I had 1 G&L I bought off of craigslist and the best luthier in the area told me it was junk when he tried to set it up. No more G&L for me!". No one cares.

TubeStack, nastynate, jblake and 2 others like this.
  18. Jugghaid

Jugghaid Member

Double bound Asat Classic S Alnico in Candy Apple Red with a Birdseye Neck/Board and Matching headstock.

I already have a few G&Ls and I love them. This will go well with the Legacy, Fallout, SB2, and the L-2500's.

19. Rick Towne

Rick Towne Praise & Western Silver Supporting Member

I got my first one in 1989, have had many over the years and still have five. Never a problem.

20. Drew66

Drew66 Member

A third of a millimeter out of spec? Really? That’s like a few strands of hair. You are one picky sob.