The INSANELY TALENTED Paul Rose and Band

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by Guitar Dave T, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Remember that first time a guitar player completely blew you away in a small club, and you thought, "how cool is this?". Then you watched him start playing bigger venues, and eventually selling out tickets in advance in concerts?

I caught Eric Johnson with The Electromagnets in 1978 in a small club that probably couldn't hold 50 people, and saw Stevie Ray Vaughan many times in less-than-100-seat clubs from 78-80.

This weekend I caught this guy from the U.K. at two small venues in Dallas and Fort Worth and had that same feeling. The guy completely KILLED last night in one of those 50 seat capacity venues. Check him out (tip - watch the third clip all the way through, it transforms into something you'll really enjoy):

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  2. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Thank you for sharing your discovery Dave....:)

I'm a bit on the fence here. Obviously he's a major talent on the guitar. Those lines and the effortless nature of his playing is ridiculously good. On the other hand, the songs didn't strike me as very good and seemed to only serve as a structure for his solos. Even with that, the solos jumped out of the songs so much that they didn't seem to be part of a whole.

His singing is fine but just fine...

In all I could see him cultivating a Garth Brooks meets Brad Paisley type appeal and that would be interesting to see.

I'm sure that it's infinitely more powerful live and I hope he does very well.....monster player for sure! :)

3. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Could be the live appeal, or rather live inspiration-talent-boost. A video crew was out, I suspect there will be clips on YouTube soon. Working with a group of the area's best hit-men - and hit-woman for what turns out to be the second time in 5 months, has really produced a well prepared and intuitive live band that gave him an incredible stage to shine on, and shine he did.

My wife, who's a trained vocalist, had a similar response to his YouTube clips, but after seeing him live last night, she was completely blown away. Same with my 15 year old son, who while not as passionate about music as his dad, does play basoon, and attends the visual arts cluster of Booker T in Dallas, so he hears enough of high level musicianship daily to make him at least as tough a crowd as his mom.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2015
  4. effectsman

effectsman Supporting Member

I think IIRC StuBlue from this forum has shared the stage with him.

He may chime in on his playing. I liked the clips, but agree that the songwriting could do with some work so it is not just props for his playing.

He's got some technique though for sure!!

5. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali Member

I've seen that Watchtower clip before. Starts out nice then he just overplays way too much. Obviously technically adept. No offense meant but he's what Albert King would call one of those million-note-minute mother****ers. (Not that Albert is THE model) but this guy really fatigues my ears quickly.

Sorry. Just my opinion. No MNAMMF's were harmed in the making of this post.

6. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

Very cool!

If he every comes through the Eugene/Portland area I'll check him out...:)

7. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Stublue has some great talent and chops too, though more of an honest electric blues player. By that I mean he's not just one to give the blues lip service while actually thinking it's easy. It's not. Doing it right requires tremendous dedication, and putting every bit of your energy and soul into playing it. Most players don't have the true force, guts, balls to pull it off to his level. Props!

8. Dumdeediddle

Dumdeediddle Supporting Member

"but this guy really fatigues my ears quickly" Sorry ,gotta agree
    Listened to "Watchtower" ,but got near the end with the Pyrotehnics and just kinda couldn't wait for it to end. Its fun to do ,but it's just Too Much when you re watching. Very good but Too Much Stuff. The 2 extra Rhythm Guitars were mixed too high & it was just Too much Guitar.

9. zztomato

zztomato Supporting Member

Good player. Insanely talented? Hmm, pretty subjective of course but doesn't meet my criteria. I find the music fairly pedestrian. There are so many guys who can shred their asses off that there's not much new under the sun there.
    Jimi owns "All Along The Watchtower". Jimi's playing is on a completely different level of soulfulness and vibe. Unless you are going to do something vastly different with that tune - different instrumentation and no guitar solo- I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

10. frdagaa

frdagaa Supporting Member

I've known about him for a long time and have listened to his Watchtower a bunch. Personally I really like it, but I also acknowledge that it's a good example of overplaying. I like the little melodic fills he throws in. And personally, I'd much rather listen to his overplaying than Yngwies or most other shredders.

11. mxk116

mxk116 Silver Supporting Member

Fixed the links so they appear on my iPad. Thanks for turning me on to Mr. Rose and band.

12. michael.e

michael.e Supporting Member

Too much wanky and note count gets tiring to my ear but he does have a very natural feel that I like.

13. Ubersooner

Ubersooner Member

I read "Eric Johnson", then I read "Stevie Ray Vaughn", then I watched the videos. Hard not watch them in the context of the buildup. I'll watch em again later.

14. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

See, it's that funky, pseudo hip hop thing his drummer does on his version of Watchtower that I find so fresh and unexpected. I really enjoy the pocket on it.

15. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I should better qualify. I saw Stevie early on when he was overplaying, and often plahing in front of the beat. Same with Eric Johnson. But the raw talent and spark of something great was there with both. And there was also an honesty in their intent and a freshness that was unmistakable.

Same with this guy, IMO.

And live Saturday night in Fort Worth that honesty and freshnsess was really there. He worked the room and showed an uncanny knack for dynamics.

16. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Thanks!! How did you fix the links, BTW? Sorry for the thread hijack, but it's my thread. ;-)

17. Blix

Blix Supporting Member

Amazing guitarist, but not even remotely on Johnson and Yngwie level.

But I'd go see him if he came here for sure.