• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

The intersection of Jazz and Flamenco

sanrico

Very interesting and cool! A lot of fusion loses Flamenco compás (the distinct rhythms that are essential to any real Flamenco). This is a Soleá, but stays in compás.

Tomatito's collaboration with Michel Camilo (Spain) was great, and if you like flamenco piano, look into Dorantes. He's great.

Dave Wakely

The Winsberg is beautiful - looks like I just ordered another CD or two:)

Check out also Carles Benavent and Jorge Pardo - other flamenco musicians pushing the form in new directions.

GerryJ

That's all great stuff, thanks for posting.

Two observations - re Diego Amador - is it just me, or do most Flamenco singers sound.....well...indistinguishable? I love the stuff, but it sounds like the same guy (lol), has that raspy, highly emotional tone. But then again, all the pop Country guys on US radio sound virtually the same to me too...

Rhythm - I love how the music is so rhythmically powerful and relentless, but they do it all at a very low volume. Proof that you don't need to bludgeon your audience with decibels and subwoofers.

sanrico

That's all great stuff, thanks for posting.

Two observations - re Diego Amador - is it just me, or do most Flamenco singers sound.....well...indistinguishable? I love the stuff, but it sounds like the same guy (lol), has that raspy, highly emotional tone. But then again, all the pop Country guys on US radio sound virtually the same to me too...

Rhythm - I love how the music is so rhythmically powerful and relentless, but they do it all at a very low volume. Proof that you don't need to bludgeon your audience with decibels and subwoofers.
I can hear why you are saying that. I remember bringing a girlfriend to a flamenco show and once she heard the singers, she said, "this sounds exactly like the Gipsy Kings." Most real flamenco singers would kill her for saying that as they don't really respect the GK.

It's very similar, but you start to hear the differences. Most have the rasp, but there are some cleaner sounding ones. Camaron de la Isla was the big star of singing before his death. The recordings he did with Paco de Lucia and Tomatito are groundbreaking.

I also love Duquende and Dieguito el Cigala. You can hear the differences in their voices.

The female singers are also monsters. GREAT singers.

Here is a recording by Luis de Cordoba with the guitar MONSTER Vicente Amigo accompanying. Luis has a smoother voice. Very beautiful. The vocals and guitar in this give me goosebumps.

And here's another song by the lovely Estrella Morente:

FFTT

A friend of mine is an ESL teacher who's students turned her onto Nova Menco.
Really enjoy them for a break from the norm.

Gypsy fusion.

Cuthbert

Great thread! I'm a big fan of Vicente Amigo. The Dorante tune was great. I'd never heard him.

dsimon665

Silver Supporting Member
Chick Corea's Spain was based off of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez second movement.
Paco De Lucia played the actual Conceierto once (including a full orchestra).
It was composed for guitar (though Rodrigo played piano).
I think Rodrigo consulted one of his associates/family members who did play guitar, but I don't remember the full story.

In SD I've seen some fusion groups combing Kathak and Flamenco dancing.
Then there's the Jodhpur flamenco/gypsy festival...love to go to that someday (next event march 2016)
http://jfgfestival.com/journey-of-gypsies/

Anoushka Shankar has done a bit of Flamenco fusion as well.

Jim Soloway

Chick Corea's Spain was based off of Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez second movement.
Paco De Lucia played the actual Conceierto once (including a full orchestra).
It was composed for guitar (though Rodrigo played piano).
I think Rodrigo consulted one of his associates/family members who did play guitar, but I don't remember the full story.

In SD I've seen some fusion groups combing Kathak and Flamenco dancing.
Then there's the Jodhpur flamenco/gypsy festival...love to go to that someday (next event march 2016)
http://jfgfestival.com/journey-of-gypsies/

Anoushka Shankar has done a bit of Flamenco fusion as well.
Is there anything she can't do? Or for that matter, anything she won't try? Just an amazing musician.