the island of misfit Gibsons

Drew68

Supporting Member
found this one while browsing this morning. such a weird combination of features. but hey, that's 1985 for ya!

This is the body shape Gibson should've used for their Les Paul double cuts.

Put a standard headstock, hardware and pickup configuration on this thing and maybe a nice sunburst finish and I'd buy it today!

Mattbedrock

Silver Supporting Member
You want misfits - I got ya misfits -

Norlin era misfits: S1, Marauder, RD Custom, L-6S

Challenger: bolt on neck and 3 singles

V2 with "bomerang" pickups.

Angular Insanity

The king of the misfits - Corvus III. What were they smokin' in the '80's?

MKB

Silver Supporting Member
found this one while browsing this morning. such a weird combination of features. but hey, that's 1985 for ya!

Is this actually a real Gibson?? If it had a standard 3/3 headstock, a flame top, and buckers, it would be the perfect dual cutaway LP. Gibson has never gotten those right through the years. They very nearly did with this one.

Is this actually a real Gibson?? If it had a standard 3/3 headstock, a flame top, and buckers, it would be the perfect dual cutaway LP. Gibson has never gotten those right through the years. They very nearly did with this one.

SPROING!

How about a Les Paul Jr with a humbucker? Judging from reactions I get, you'd think Gibson broke a law when they made it.

Nada

i'd rock that. i'd probably block the trem though. it might look even cooler with a flying V headstock.

taez555

I wish I had a better pic of it, but here's my long since sold misfit Gibson in 1992.

Les Paul Jr/Melody Maker (Still not sure which), dual HB's, pearl pickguard, kahler trem and a hockey headstock.

edit...

after doing some digging I just discovered someone selling the exact same guitar on ebay... (I've searched for years and this is the first time I've ever seen it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1989-Gibson-Les-Paul-Melody-Maker-Flyer-Pro-II-XPL-w-Stock-HB-L-HB-R-VERY-RARE-/300657077042?_trksid=p4340.m185&_trkparms=algo%3DSIC.NPJS%26its%3DI%252BC%26itu%3DUA%26otn%3D5%26pmod%3D300650949173%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D6001598986478667083

This is the ebay one, not mine. (I checked the SN, it's only 1 number different than mine was.)

Look's like it's called a Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker Flyer Pro II

What an idiot I was. I sold it for a FRACTION of his selling price to buy an Ibanez Jem. Looks like it was super rare. :-(

Oh well... I was 16, whatcha gonna do.

Last edited:

chubbywolf

An RD with a Kahler! That is actually really, really cool. Never seen that before, and I have seen a lot.
I used to think that the Corvus was the most disgusting Gibson to behold, but now I think its a toss up between it and the Reverse Flying V. Both are just awful, awful things.

You want misfits - I got ya misfits -

Norlin era misfits: S1, Marauder, RD Custom, L-6S

Challenger: bolt on neck and 3 singles

V2 with "bomerang" pickups.

Angular Insanity

The king of the misfits - Corvus III. What were they smokin' in the '80's?

TimSt.L

The first time I ever saw The reverse V was in person up close in a guys collection. He had two. I just kinda chuckled. That is one guitar I can go the rest of my life without seeing and I'd be perfectly happy.

ScottR

Silver Supporting Member
Ive got a Corvus 2 like this one...haven't had it out in years though

Simto

I think the RD is pretty awesome. The store i work in has one of the new reissues, and it's a really cool guitar, sounds cool, nice neck, comfortable to sit with and i think it looks like a cool mix between a Firebird and an Explorer
The only thing i don't like about it is the headstock. Would look way better with a non reverse Firebird headstock.... and in pelham blue :)

I was really tempted to buy it. I need a solid body guitar with humbuckers i can put .12's on and tune low as hell

We also had one of those RD Artist with the Moog preamp... it wasn't very nice... But it looked cool.

Trending Topics