the island of misfit Gibsons

EelEye

Gold Supporting Member
I remember when this one came out. I always wondered why they put one knob so far away from the other. Like it is nearly falling off the edge of the guitar. WTF?

Gitarman

^ I really like these except for the tailpiece. SG with single coil in neck = awesome
hmm... & here I thought I was in the minority when I posted it.

I fell in love with an SG-Z waaaay back when. A local shop that I used to frequent around the time they were released had one in white that just played perfectly. It's pretty much been my 'dream' SG ever since.

supa-fuzz

Maybe the this is the island of misfit Gibsons :rotflmao

Come on, someone had to post this sooner or later!

BKL71

My first Les Paul was an early '80s XR-1. It was essentially a predecessor to the Studio model but mine was cherry sunburst with binding on the top of he body, dot inlays, Dirty Fingers pickups and a coil tap. Unfortunately, I don't have any good photos of it, otherwise I would post them here. I do remember that Steve Clark from Def Leppard played a toboacco sunburst XR-1 in videos during the band's Pyromaina period.

You all would not believe just how many of these were 100 percent Henry Juszkiewicz's ideas, commanded and demanded into existence as a couple of long-suffering Gibson USA luthiers sat there and took notes because he didn't want a single detail wrong.

I swear to God.

SUBmariner

Ah I see some other members of the Corvus club . . .

I gig it from time to time. Usually turns some heads . . .

vortexxxx

Supporting Member
Surprised no one seems to have mentioned the 80's or early 90's (i think mid 80's) Gibson "Victory". A fender meets gibson affair that failed miserably.

I almost bought one of these new because of their ads claiming that it could sound like a whole bunch of other guitars... but then I played one.

Whiskeyrebel

Supporting Member
The Victory looks really snazzy, although the strap button position would take a lot of getting used to after an SG.

The Les Paul DC400 XPL in the OP looks sweet to me except for the XPL headstock. With a Flying V or Firebird headstock, it would look great.

There's a set-neck Hondo II LP copy that keeps popping up on Ebay with almost the exact same double cut body shape . It has the usual 3+3 headstock and that works nicely with the proportions.

Trending Topics