The Jaguar, whats wrong with it?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Deluzion, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

I'm guessing people who are concerned about that would be really afraid of playing a mandolin in public. All kinds of insecurities there.

Meanwhile, on the bass forum: "You'd have to have puny girly hands to play any instrument under the 34" scale."

DiAmoroso, Corvid and sprawlstopper like this.
  2. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

I have many hand sized related emotional disturbances...

Zenyatta Mondatta likes this.
  3. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

No but I was trying to learn a piece on a full scale bass that had some harmonics that I couldn't figure out. One of my friends pointed out that my hand was too small to pull it off. Took some ribbing from that.

My friends are jerkwads... :cry::bitch:cry:

Zenyatta Mondatta likes this.
  4. GusFowler

GusFowler Member

But those shins are regular thin things. Not like a Bigsby B16 shim that radically alters the axe. I did this with a tele partscaster and it rocks.

Angstwulf likes this.
  5. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Have you tried a Hobbitcaster or a Hobbiguar? Or you could try a Gibson Les Hobbit Jr.

6. Bryan T

Bryan T guitar owner Silver Supporting Member

The discussions of scale length are interesting. I play everything from upright bass to mandolin, so I'm pretty adaptable.

GA20T and DiAmoroso like this.
  7. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

I think I gonna stick with a solid body ukulele.

Meriphew likes this.
  8. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

I bought a American Pro Jaguar recently, changed the bridge and vibrato to Mastery and had it setup with 11-52s.
    It's such a great sounding guitar! To my ears it's fuller, deeper and more mellow than a strat or a tele. It's equally awesome for strumming rhythms or playing single-note lines. I love it.

9. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

It isn't the scale, per se.

It is the appropriateness of the scale. The string bass, the mandolin are supposed to have these disparate scale lengths. Guitars IMO thrive in a narrow range of scales, 25.5 apparently being the best, and this is just well outside that range.

Kinda like a five ounce glass of beer.

10. misterturtlehead

misterturtlehead Member

Marc Ribot occasionally plays a Jaguar.

11. Angstwulf

Angstwulf Member

Never gotten wasted in Asia, eh?

Those little glasses can catch up and bite you on the keister.

chandra likes this.
  12. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Just got done playing mine for a while. Got to crank the amp a bit too. Conclusion, there's nothing wrong with the Jaguar. It's another Fender masterpiece, IMO.

I like it better than my strat in many ways, and it's just as versatile as any other Fender. I got a thick, sustaining tone out of it with my KTR and Zendrive. The Fuzzface added another awesome layer. Cleans are off the charts beautiful. Can't wait to gig this guitar.

13. Zenyatta Mondatta

Zenyatta Mondatta Member

"Supposed to" is kind of the opposite of "innovation".

Beng2040 likes this.
  14. Baxtercat

Baxtercat Member

I hate those.
    Heck, even a 12-oz. goes too quick.

15. stickyFingerz

stickyFingerz Supporting Member

I had set of 11-47 TI Jazz Swing flatwounds lying around, and I just to try the on the Jaguar. Wow, what a gorgeous-sounding guitar. Single notes have weight to them, a strong fundament, heavy attack and natural decay. Notes played together just melt into one another. Gorgeous.

This set has lower tension compared to the EB 11-52s that I had on before. I've ordered 3 sets of 12-50s (Jazz Swings) because I like the higher tension and I can imagine they'll sound even better.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  16. mjross

mjross Member

You forgot kind of strange looking. However, I have no room to talk, I dig Steinbergers.

shane8 likes this.
  17. Allen Martin

Allen Martin Member

Have watched this debate from the beginning. Now I'm going to go play my favorite off set 24" scale guitar. 1966 Silvertone Silloette, three rocker switches, three pickups, one volume and three tone. Holy s**t! How confusing, oh no what a weird trem, am I going to be able to play rock and roll on this goofy short scale, wait a minute this thing is red, I can only play on white. Will my strap fit, will the earth be destroyed by the lack of sustain. All this is just too much to think about, I'll just play my Tele.